IGNORED

Bates' Family Thanksgiving

memmy

Apologies if this was posted before!

Apparently the Bates family were at Gil's parents for Thanksgiving

Gil's brother's wife posts at Bumpin Along the Road Less Travelled :)

I was amazed at Michael's transformation -- seems like she lost a bit of weight too. Not that there was anything wrong with her before but she does look a lot like Jana. Same hair style, same sort of clothing, make up?

I don't know why but it seems like she took off the frumpy clothes - changed into something more modern (jean skirt, more fitted shirt)

Nothing extravagant! In my eyes she looks great

Alyssa has her finger nails painted! Never seen that before with any fundy family -- yes there is a picture of the little cousin painting her nails -- but still a bit too defrauding?

can someone help me with the purity ring thing - where is it supposed to be on? ring finger right hand? ring finger left hand? or is it the middle finger? Alyssa seems to wear hers on the middle finger yet Michael has it on the left ring finger and then on the right ring finger (if i decoded it right)

Loads of pics - mostly the little kids

bumpinalongtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.ca/2012/11/thanksgiving.html

bumpinalongtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.ca/2012/11/the-day-after-fun-on-farm.html

bumpinalongtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.ca/2012/11/the-day-after-part-2.html

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG! In the first link, in the 20th pic down, there's an older guy wearing a green sweatshirt who's sneakin' a good look at someone's rack. The older Bates daughters look a lot alike to me so I'm not able to identify who it is. The hair doesn't look big enough to be Erin. Anyway...get a good look there, Pops! :lol:

ETA a word.

I have always thought Michael was quite attractive but overshadowed by Erin in her blondness, plus she seems to prefer not being in front of the camera! That will make a person look different. It seems lke she was having an enjoyabe day and that was captured quite well by the picturetaker!

OMG! In the first link, in the 20th pic down, there's an older guy wearing a green sweatshirt who's sneakin' a good look at someone's rack. The older Bates daughters look a lot alike to me so I'm not able to identify who it is. The hair doesn't look big enough to be Erin. Anyway...get a good look there, Pops! :lol:

ETA a word.

Alyssa in the front and Michael in the back.

I was all excited about Michael changing her look -- because I thought she was the one with the giant 60s bouffant. Is she?

The one little girl to the right wearing a matching dress looks like she's sporting a bump-it. I still have no idea who is who. What's with the love of lift?

Also, there is a serious amount of JEANS WEARING!!!!!!!! Shock!

On a related Bates note, they have erased all their more recent blog entries. The most recent on is from May, when Kelly's brother was dying and they "encouraged" him so much he asked to be "saved." Wonder why they got rid of the other posts? I think the last one was just before the election.

I was all excited about Michael changing her look -- because I thought she was the one with the giant 60s bouffant. Is she?

The one little girl to the right wearing a matching dress looks like she's sporting a bump-it. I still have no idea who is who. What's with the love of lift?

Erin is the one with the pronounced bouffant, that much I do know (which isn't saying much).

Michaela looks amazing! It looks like her and Alyssa got their hair highlighted which looks nice on both of them. Plus, Michaela in makeup?! I wonder why she changed her frumpy style, all of the sudden.

As for nail polish, I've seen a few fundie girls wear nail polish but I think that varies from family to family.

Apologies if this was posted before!

Apparently the Bates family were at Gil's parents for Thanksgiving

Gil's brother's wife posts at Bumpin Along the Road Less Travelled :)

I was amazed at Michael's transformation -- seems like she lost a bit of weight too. Not that there was anything wrong with her before but she does look a lot like Jana. Same hair style, same sort of clothing, make up?

I don't know why but it seems like she took off the frumpy clothes - changed into something more modern (jean skirt, more fitted shirt)

Nothing extravagant! In my eyes she looks great

Alyssa has her finger nails painted! Never seen that before with any fundy family -- yes there is a picture of the little cousin painting her nails -- but still a bit too defrauding?

can someone help me with the purity ring thing - where is it supposed to be on? ring finger right hand? ring finger left hand? or is it the middle finger? Alyssa seems to wear hers on the middle finger yet Michael has it on the left ring finger and then on the right ring finger (if i decoded it right)

Loads of pics - mostly the little kids

bumpinalongtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.ca/2012/11/the-day-after-fun-on-farm.html

bumpinalongtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.ca/2012/11/the-day-after-part-2.html

I don"t think that is Michaela that stands behind Erin in one of the first pics. Not really certain whom that is at all! Further down the line; there is a pic of Michaela and she looks the same as in past pics-kind of pudgy-full faced.

OH WOW, Those older girls have been getting some make-up tips! They look really pretty and modern! Good to see that the TLC money went to give them a bit of something normal and modern like other girls their age have!

The girls in the jeans are Bates cousins (the daughters of the woman who does the Road Less Traveled blog). They are a homeschooling Christian family, but not Gothard/fundies.

A common saying in the south is "The higher the hair, the closer to God."

So why can't they wear heels? Pumps? :whistle:

Yes, Michaela has gotten really attractive. All their girls are beautiful, although almost all of them look different, except for 2 blond middle girls who almost look like twins.

So why can't they wear heels? Pumps? :whistle:

Yes, Michaela has gotten really attractive. All their girls are beautiful, although almost all of them look different, except for 2 blond middle girls who almost look like twins.

I have no clue lol. Most of the big hairs I know are also avid heel wearers.

It'd be awfully hard to wash, sort, fold, and put away 50 loads of laundry a week in pumps. ;)

(that was lame. oh well)

People often said the Duggar girls were so beautiful, but I never saw it. I didn't like their greasy-looking permed hair, and their faces were just ordinary. But the Bates seemed to have spectacularly beautiful girls (except Michaela who didn't have time to do anything with herself). They are just so pretty--especially the three middle girls (Carlin, Katie and Josie).

People often said the Duggar girls were so beautiful, but I never saw it. I didn't like their greasy-looking permed hair, and their faces were just ordinary. But the Bates seemed to have spectacularly beautiful girls (except Michaela who didn't have time to do anything with herself). They are just so pretty--especially the three middle girls (Carlin, Katie and Josie).

I think most Duggar girls are really beautiful. The ones that take after Michelle. Michelle has a really good facial bone structure. So does Jessa, all that crowned with a perfect, bright set of teeth.

Yeah, Carlin is amazingly beautiful but she doesn't look like any of her parents. I'm really happy for Michaela I have to admit. It can be hard to have a younger sister who's the star of the family while all you do is wonder why did she "has it all". I think Michaela eventually pulled herself together and decided she was just as good as Erin. And voilá. She really is. Even Kelly admitted there was some struggle in her family, some of the girls wondering who's prettier. Now, no reason to wonder. Michaela is just as pretty. And has more confidence. Happy for her. Now all she has to do is put down her mother's babies and go get the life she deserves.

The best part of this post for me? The commenter whose 19 year old daughter "got away", or as the commenter says on her own blog, " 'jumped ship,' as the Pearl's[sic] say." If she's been training up her children Pearl-style I can only rejoice that the 19 year old escaped.

The best part about Michael's transformation is what seems to be a new found self-confidence. I've always thought M was pretty, but she always seemed to be trying to hide in the background or behind her clothes. Even her posture made her seem like she didn't think she was worth looking at.

Whatever make over she's gotten, it seems like it has made her finally realize how beautiful she really is. I don't think any woman NEEDS make up or highlights, but if it helps her to appreciate her own beauty, I am all for it! And she is 110% WORTH the time and money to get them. I think so many Fundie women don't think they are worth it, so I'm glad she is bucking the trend. I honestly don't even think she's lost weight (she doesn't need to!). I think what we are seeing is the power of a better clothes, posture, and self-image: all of which studies have proven can shed 10-15lbs on how heavy you appear to others.

And you know what? So what if she is doing it to get a man. Yeah, it's not IDEAL, but let's be honest, human beings like to flaunt their plumage to attract mates. M is my age, and I know how it feels to be one of the few not married/engaged/with kids. I honestly didn't really want to settle down until my friends started to. That's normal. If she got a makeover to give her the confidence to go after what she wants and jump in the courting pool good. for. her. As long as she makes sure any man knows that she is a real treasure, I say GET IT GIRL!

Jumping on the band wagon to say Michaela looks amazing! I know the family seems to treat Erin like the pretty, pretty princess, and she is an attractive girl, but she seems very old-fashioned in her style. Michaela looks much more modern and stylish.

And you know what? So what if she is doing it to get a man. Yeah, it's not IDEAL, but let's be honest, human beings like to flaunt their plumage to attract mates. M is my age, and I know how it feels to be one of the few not married/engaged/with kids. I honestly didn't really want to settle down until my friends started to. That's normal. If she got a makeover to give her the confidence to go after what she wants and jump in the courting pool good. for. her. As long as she makes sure any man knows that she is a real treasure, I say GET IT GIRL!

I agree with all of that except that no fundie man is going to treat her like a treasure, so I'm hoping she got her makeover, realizes how awesome she is, and gets the hell out of there! Wishful thinking, I know. :(

I had always felt sorry for her, she so lacked self confidence, her whole body language and meek manners just suggested she considered herself as "secondary", and maybe Erin who always held the spotlight, wasn't very helpful to help her own sister gain confidence.

I will admit I have been rooting for M since the beginning. I noticed her emerald eyes. With her hair down, and same length all around, she looks stunning. Not just compared to former M. She grabs attention now, just like all of her sisters and she is not hiding behind her older brother, parents or babies like she was ashamed to be in the picture at all. I see a nice self confidence development there, so I say, high five Michaela.

There's this other sister of theirs. In the beginning, I couldn't help but think, poor thing. Seemed like she had inherited her mom's worst features. Then, she turned 17 maybe, got her braces off, and in one of her pictures she looked like a miss America. And she looks stunning ever since then.

Archived