IGNORED

When fundies accidentally witness...

emmiedahl

That is, when they witness to what colossal assholes they are.

I was cut off in traffic by a giant truck. I caught a glance of the middle aged white male who was driving and made a mental joke about his penis size. Then I saw this bumper sticker:

pro_life_pro_god_pro_gun_anti_obama_bumper_sticker-p128842912324095031en8ys_400.jpg

And suddenly it all made sense. He is one of God's chosen, why should he have to nicely share the road with heathens?

Anyone else have any fun stories about fundies showing their true colors?

It's amazing how these pro-life, pro-God folks seem to be among the worst of people, isn't it? Not that they're the only ones who do this type of thing, but when you're supposed to be 'loving thy neighbour,' you would think you'd make a conscious effort not to be an asshole. I think you're right, he probably thinks he's better than everyone else because he's 'found Jeebus.'

The only experiences I have are with the typical pushy solicitors, and debating with some 'I have all the answers' devotees.

I drive by BJU on my commute. The worst, rudest, most inconsiderate drivers on on my route always seem to have a BJU parking sticker and/or a Jebus fish. :evil:

They are not so very pro-life when it comes to other drivers, are they? This is the second time in as many months that I have almost gotten in an accident with someone with a religious bumper sticker. Not that I am a perfect driver, but when someone else tries to occupy the same space I am in, it is pretty much their fault and not mine.

Oh, tons... There's this one girl at school. We both wear a lot of skirts. I have a shape more conducive to skirts and think I look nice in them, so I wear them. I said "hi, great skirt!" one time and she smiled. Next time I saw her, she wouldn't look at me. Guess she had asked around (small school) and heard I was one of those feminists *GASP* Won't look at me now, whatever. I need a feminist bumper sticker for the wheelchair.

Another story. I had a family friend whose husband was real fundie-lite. He would go out and spend money they didn't have because God would provide, he said. So nice that his kid's school clothes were less important than a 90 dollar grill gadget.

Another time, I was on a plane. The stewardess gave me the window seat and said sit. I sat. Then this fundie guy comes and is all "That's my seat, girl." I knew it was mine so I was like, uhm hells to the no. I was clearly not a "girl" and I was not going to give up my window seat for him. He was all rude. He opened his bible and was being a total pharisee and praying very publicly.

So then he saw something of mine and it turns out he knew the fundie-lite guy I mentioned above. They travelled in the same circles, I guess. He was Mr. McNicey Nice then and tried to be my best friend and how wonderful it was and how awesome and such. UGH! I got sick of it and picked up whatever I was reading. I think it might have been Simone de Beauvoir. He didn't really talk to me after that. The iPod with tons of Lily Allen and old Green Day might have helped, too. But how about trying to be all friendly when he thought I was one of them?

Riffles: I know a sentence needs a subject...

I'm okay with people putting a Romney/Ryan bumperstick on their car, because I have equal right to put an Obama/Biden one on mine. The other day I passed an F-150 (which has to be the official redneck car) with "Don't blame me, I voted for the American" on their back end. He'd probably argue the birther route, but it's probably because he's black.

I drive by BJU on my commute. The worst, rudest, most inconsiderate drivers on on my route always seem to have a BJU parking sticker and/or a Jebus fish. :evil:

Have you ever been on campus?? I nearly made my mom take me for a prospective visit so I could snark I couldn't drive all the way and she couldn't get why I wanted to go, especially when I had applied to universities I actually wanted to attend. She does not get the importance of snark, I think, though she is supportive. I'm DYING to know what it looks like! Is it in an urban area?

My older sister attends a BJU affiliated IFB church. She used to be a liberal & an agnostic, married 4 times & had numerous live-ins. Then she married an IFB man & chugged the koolaid. She has since become the most hateful, judgmental, legalistic, self-righteous hypocrite. Her husband never comes to many family dinners because he doesn't like to associate with heathens who don't attend a KJ ONLY BIBLE BELIEVING IFB CHURCH! He keeps recommending churches to me & I keep smiling politely & changing the subject. Sis insists on dragging her poor grandkids to church with her, goes soul-winning :roll: and refuses to miss church for any reason.

Yet she won't help me at all with our 76 yo mom, who had a stroke last year, lives with me & requires constant care. She'll put her on the prayer/praise list at church, but she won't stay with her to give me a break because she'd have to help Mama with bathroom needs. She says her stomach is too weak. :roll:

The thing is I don't think she really believes any of it. She tends to take on the beliefs of her current man. I've always said that if she had by chance married a Muslim instead of a Christian, she'd be wearing a burka & saying, "Praise Allah!"

My son and I got charged at by a husband and wife while at motor vehicles. They were giving me a headache. This part was hilarious though. The wife invited me to her church meeting. She said something like "It's such a nice group of people. We are very close and the meetings are calm and peaceful." She handed me a copy of the meeting info and what it was called. It had "hellfire" in the title and the second line said something like YOU ARE GOING TO HELL engulfed in a picture of flames. Well. I bursted out laughing and could not control myself. I was laughing to the point where I couldn't breathe and the tears were rolling down my face. The husband and wife walked away probably thinking that I was deranged.

Have you ever been on campus?? I nearly made my mom take me for a prospective visit so I could snark I couldn't drive all the way and she couldn't get why I wanted to go, especially when I had applied to universities I actually wanted to attend. She does not get the importance of snark, I think, though she is supportive. I'm DYING to know what it looks like! Is it in an urban area?

Sort of an urban area. I think the campus is really in kind of an iffy area - lots of run-down businesses/ strip malls, but since I don't live in town I'm not sure ( I live 30 miles away). I pass the main entrance, but I've never been on campus. They just spent a ton of money building a welcome center & redoing the front entrance. Some of the buildings are new, some are 70's style brick. I see a lot of students & professors /teachers walking to campus. The male teachers are always in suits & ties, the women/girls in skirts. Some of the skirts seem a little short to me. I always feel bad in the winter for the poor girls walking up the street shivering in a skirt. The male students wear shirts/ties & dress pants.

They do put on a nice Christmas display. They start putting up lights in early November, I think, on every bush & tree & along the fence. They have a huge nativity scene at the front entrance, too. It seems to be a different one every year.

And every so often there's a weird young guy in a black suit who stands on the sidewalk beside the main entrance preaching & yelling at cars. He holds a sign saying something about BJU being too liberal. :roll: I haven't been able to find out anything about him.

YES! ALL THE TIME! The area I live in has a lot people that are super-conservative, super-christian, and that own very large trucks that they lift and put those huge tires on, so they look like monster trucks (OT: I don't get it because we have REALLY CRAPPY air quality but I guess these people don't care even though they're always complaining about their allergies, but I digress). More often than not, I've seen these people with their monster trucks tailgating others with much smaller vehicles, cutting people off, peeling off and/or accelerating so hard that the exhaust comes out black. I always had the sense that people with these types of trucks bought them and lifted them and such so they could either feel superior to everyone else or because they felt superior than everyone else. I guess I was right :|

YES! ALL THE TIME! The area I live in has a lot people that are super-conservative, super-christian, and that own very large trucks that they lift and put those huge tires on, so they look like monster trucks (OT: I don't get it because we have REALLY CRAPPY air quality but I guess these people don't care even though they're always complaining about their allergies, but I digress). More often than not, I've seen these people with their monster trucks tailgating others with much smaller vehicles, cutting people off, peeling off and/or accelerating so hard that the exhaust comes out black. I always had the sense that people with these types of trucks bought them and lifted them and such so they could either feel superior to everyone else or because they felt superior than everyone else. I guess I was right :|

This one had the big tires also. It dwarfed my minivan.

This one had the big tires also. It dwarfed my minivan.

Yeah, I drive a sedan so it gets scary. Sometimes I feel like getting a Hummer and doing the same thing (tailgate, cut-off, accelerate like a maniac), but I'm a non-believer, pro-choicer, anti-hunting (which is what people do here), and I voted for Obama, so I don't think I'm allowed to buy a large vehicle :D

A friend told me this story said she heard it on the radio- who knows if it is true...

A car was weaving in and out of traffic irresponsibly, cutting people off, hand-gestures, just being a jerk in general. The car had a the giant fish sticker with the little fish representing the kids on the rear bumper. The policeman stopped the car. When the lady rudely asked him why she was stopped, the policeman told her he was sure the car must be stolen because he saw the Christian symbol on the car and was convinced no Christian would be behaving in a such a manner.

I so hope it was true.

Yup, yup, yup. The stories I could tell. . .Worst was when we lived in an all-Mormon neighborhood. Nastiest people I ever lived among. But even where we live now, if I see a car with a bumper sticker that reads "In the event of the rapture, this car will be driverless" I know to give them a wiiiide berth. And not because I'm expecting the rapture, either.

My worst experience was from an acquaintance that thought my Bipolarity could be cured if I just prayed harder and got guidance through her and her husband, through their church. She also said medications and psychological help was of the Devil...

Good Times :roll:

Where do I start? Ok, how about when I was 12 years old and babysitting for a family from my parents' church, the couple gets back from their evening dinner, then the man drives me home and hits on me on the way.

In fact, I can think of four middle-aged church men who hit on me before I was 16. All were married, and I was an awkward, shy, glasses-and-bad-skin gangly teen who dressed modestly by parental edict. Of course that should not surprise anybody, because getting hit on by creepy old church men when you are a young teen has more to do with predator vs. easy victim than with overwhelming attraction.

My worst experience was from an acquaintance that thought my Bipolarity could be cured if I just prayed harder and got guidance through her and her husband, through their church. She also said medications and psychological help was of the Devil...

Good Times :roll:

This makes me mad because it's so dangerous. Just look at Teri Maxwell, or some of the fundies we've speculated might also have serious mental health issues. They're basically putting themselves and their families at risk, and being encouraged in it. :evil:

Off-topic: Your avatar is deliciously defrauding. 8-)

I'm okay with people putting a Romney/Ryan bumperstick on their car, because I have equal right to put an Obama/Biden one on mine. The other day I passed an F-150 (which has to be the official redneck car) with "Don't blame me, I voted for the American" on their back end. He'd probably argue the birther route, but it's probably because he's black.

One of those with that same bumpersticker nearly took off my front bumper the other day, and in this case, this person was white so I assume they're a racist as well.

Back when I was a clueless Lutheran teen with no experience of fundies, I sold a lot of raffle tickets to pay for a class trip to Hong Kong. It was the first class trip ever, and was only possible for a limited group of kids in our high school because (a) one of the organizers was a flight attendant for an airline that gave her complimentary "friends and family" tickets as a perk, (b) the dollar was very strong that year, and © we busted our butts selling raffle tickets. (AFAIK the junior year class trip tradition ended when the recession hit. Anyway.) So I plodded down one street after another, giving my spiel, and came to this woman's house. She refused to hush up the barking dog in her yard or go past the dog to come talk to me, the timid and conservatively dressed teenage girl. She just yelled at me across the yard through her half-open front door. Well, at first she was just yelling over the dog. When I said the word "raffle," she screamed at me, something like, "GAMBLING IS A SIN AGAINST THE LORD! IT'S IN THE BIBLE!!!" So I plucked up my courage and asked for a donation instead. "WE ARE A CHRISTIAN FAMILY AND CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME!!!" Ka-SLAM!

All this with her kids peering around her. Great example there, Ma. Such meekness and quietness and such masterful exegesis.

Guest Anonymous
Back when I was a clueless Lutheran teen with no experience of fundies, I sold a lot of raffle tickets to pay for a class trip to Hong Kong. It was the first class trip ever, and was only possible for a limited group of kids in our high school because (a) one of the organizers was a flight attendant for an airline that gave her complimentary "friends and family" tickets as a perk, (b) the dollar was very strong that year, and © we busted our butts selling raffle tickets. (AFAIK the junior year class trip tradition ended when the recession hit. Anyway.) So I plodded down one street after another, giving my spiel, and came to this woman's house. She refused to hush up the barking dog in her yard or go past the dog to come talk to me, the timid and conservatively dressed teenage girl. She just yelled at me across the yard through her half-open front door. Well, at first she was just yelling over the dog. When I said the word "raffle," she screamed at me, something like, "GAMBLING IS A SIN AGAINST THE LORD! IT'S IN THE BIBLE!!!" So I plucked up my courage and asked for a donation instead. "WE ARE A CHRISTIAN FAMILY AND CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME!!!" Ka-SLAM!

All this with her kids peering around her. Great example there, Ma. Such meekness and quietness and such masterful exegesis.

To be fair, I hate it when people bother me at my house, and I can't "hush up" my dogs if someone is on my porch or in my yard. They're going to bark. Heck, I want them to bark when strange people come around. I'm not going to be nasty to a kid, but I have said all manner of ridiculous things to adults that didn't leave at the first "no thanks." Up to and including, "Jesus wants you to get off of my lawn." I really don't think people have an obligation to leave their home and talk to someone who is trying to sell them something.

I totally want to get one of these, and then plaster the rest of the car with pro-obama/anti-romney stickers. I wouldn't be lying (well actually I would - I don't have voting rights in the USA, just not about the "American" part!)

Oh yeah, I have seen enough jerky behavior from so-called fundie / fundie types that once they proclaim that they are such a type (via bumper stickers, obviously praying, talking etc.) I pretty much assume that they will be jerks unless proven otherwise. Now I realize that may not be fair, and I do know fundie-types who truly are otherwise (not many) but to be honest some of the biggest assholes I have known have been them.

I have mentioned my cousin married a fundie when she was 18. He was a real asshole and carried on with the "you are all heathens" attitude to both our family and his. The only family as far as he was concerned was his KJV believing church. When they moved out of state, we were not sorry to him go. Or my cousin for that matter, because her holier than thou attitude that she acquired pissed us all off.

In my first year of college, I went on a spring break trip to DC and on that trip was a guy who made a very strong point of obviously and intensely praying at every opportunity. He outdid Tim Tebow, really. It was funny to watch in a way, because he would close his eyes so tightly you thought he might be in pain. However, he only associated with certain students on the trip. To those of us who were not in his "group" he was pretty rude.

Archived