IGNORED

Students Seek Right To Display Religious Banners

lilwriter85

It may take a while, but this will get overturned.

Frankly, running through Bible verses shows a vast disrespect for the Bible (actually, New Testament). You couldn't do this with the Tanakh or the Qur'an, because it's a disrespect to the holy writ.

That's just the least of the sacrilege, isn't it? Ignoring the words of Jesus, which were adamantly *against* this sort of oh-so-pious showboating probably tops the list, followed by using the words of your holy text, destroyed or not, for a crass secular reason such as football. Then there's being a jerkass about it, which has *got* to violate the golden rule, right? It's hypocritical all around. The fact that the words are written out for the sole purpose of being destroyed....

Honestly, why does it take atheists to make a fuss about these things? Why don't Christians take their religion seriously enough to care?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

I hope this goes to a higher court. This isn't a private event. It's a publicly sponsored event turned into an evangelical event.

I was talking to the AP Gov't teacher & former lawyer about this case yesterday, and she feels it be challenged and go to a federal court.

Now that students have been given the okay to express their religious freedom I hope groups from other religions (or atheists) put up their encouraging posters. I am sure that will cause an outrage, but hey equal treatment for all via the 1st amendment.

We had a situation when I first started teaching with a Christian group handing out phamplets. Kids who were agonostic/atheists demanded equal access, and instead of giving it to them the school admins shut all distribution of this type of material.

Archived