IGNORED

Please bath your kids, Kelly!

aggythenostic

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

emmie, baby products are usually rated with the highest content of chemicals in them. http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ you can find how much it's rated on that site.

that's why I love my shampoo bars, just the essential, no by product glycerin added, just lots of good butters :)

My friend coming from Madagascar has been taught to take a shower every other day and just wash her private part every day. I wish I could do that too, but I usually feel so dirty... anyway I think it's better, but I don't think that putting soap in a bath and letting them play equates washing your kids.... I mean can you please spend 3 min on each of your kid every day or is that too much to ask?

Like I said, I wash them with soap as well. We use baby soap because they are gentle and do not irritate eyes and private parts. I used to buy organic baby products and still do when I can find them for reasonable prices.

I wonder what we'd all do if Kelly said something really admirable and praiseworthy? The shock might be blow us over :o

Baking soda and vinegar rinse is a real way to clean hair, but it is harsh and I would not use it often or as a routine. The way it works is by completely stripping the hair shaft, including opening the overlapping scales which make up the hair shsaft, and then the vinegar rinse smoothes down the scales again and gives the hair "slip." This should be followed by jojoba oil or something similar to protect the hair.

I use regular shampoo but use a pre-wash apple cider vinegar rinse to make the shampoo work better as I have very hard water. About 1 tsp per cup of water is good – don't ever use undiluted vinegar on hair, it can melt it! As for soaps/body wash, I'm never going back to commercial now that I found my incredibly deluxe and cheap organic soap bars. They even make shampoo bars that I would think would be cheap enough for Kelly to use on her family. Sigh…

Can't argue here.

I don't have a bazillion kids, but we don't do the scrub-them-down-every-single-day thing here. In the heat, we all rinse off as needed. But actual baths and lather and soap are much more infrequent. Dh and the kids have hair and skin that is healthier that way. I'm a greasy sweaty mess, so I'm the one who ends up having to shower the most. Wish I could get away with less bother like the rest of my family.

Not brave enough to go no 'poo though. I like my chemical shampoos. :)

Chemicals aren't always bad, and all natural things aren't always good or gentle. Organic =/= better in all cases. In the case of baby soaps, the chemicals are there to do the same function as a normal soap without the unwanted side effects.

I'll still buy organic where I can, but chemicals and artificial ingredient are not of teh debbil. It's usually not a big deal at all.

My problem is, per usual, is she is doing this as part of the Fundie "I am better than you" Olympics.

Right, she is a better mom because she doesn't give a fuck if her kids get bathed. Wait, what?

My 2 cents--I don't bathe my kids every day most of the time. We sometimes do a foot bath, and wash hands and face, but every other is fine unless they're filthy.

Me neither. In the summer, yes, but in the winter I usually do every other day. My skin is dry, and so is my hair and I really don't need it. I can work out, and I still don't stink (I know, you hate me, right?) I think it's genetic--I've never smelled either of my parents' BO. Though my feet reek if I wear polyester socks.

My husband on the other hand, generally takes 2 showers a day in the summer, at least one in the winter. And he needs it. :?

Right, she is a better mom because she doesn't give a fuck if her kids get bathed. Wait, what?

More like the "I only use NATURAL products" and "OMG look how cool we are because we only do XYZ"

We always bathed our children every day, just as we (their parents) bathe daily. They never had so much as a diaper rash or any kind of skin rash.

Chemicals aren't always bad, and all natural things aren't always good or gentle. Organic =/= better in all cases. In the case of baby soaps, the chemicals are there to do the same function as a normal soap without the unwanted side effects.

I'll still buy organic where I can, but chemicals and artificial ingredient are not of teh debbil. It's usually not a big deal at all.

I'll agree that all natural is not better, but I will strongly disagree on the harmlessness of chemicals in baby products. It's not control by the FDA or any other source, and it's also the accumulation of chemicals that can be dangerous.

Shea butter is great. I use jojoba oil to hydrate my face = less pimples, and it's a fraction of the price of most facecream, particularly considering its shelf life (vs a cream that is opened and has to be used in a certain amount of time).

I don't trust the companies that have been left unguarded for decades, I always go to the simpler product, and I'll trust them again when they'll show some progress. By the way, it can be done. When I went back in France I was impressed to see that most creams have a "paraben-free" stamp on them. Of course, lots of other chemicals in, that I would not touch, but still. Legislation works.

And the same goes for cleaning product. Vinegar + water + fresh lemon juice = perfect for all counters area, takes out stains efficiently. Castille soap (v cheap at trader joe) + baking soda = great for scrubbing the bathtub. Some vinegar in water to wash the floor....

It doesn't sound that bad to me, but I shower every other day (sometimes every 2 days :o )

Buttt this summer I'm working full time in a physical job, and some nights if I'm not doing anything the next day except working with a bunch of dudes I could care less if I smell nice. So I'm not the best judge ;)

Anybody have a link to really good, organic shampoo bars? I've been looking for an affordable way to go the organic shampoo/soap route but haven't found anything that I really love and can also afford on a consistent basis. Shampoo bars sound sort of intriguing.

Can we all please stop treating chemicals like a four-letter word? Water is a chemical. All matter is chemicals.

Anybody have a link to really good, organic shampoo bars? I've been looking for an affordable way to go the organic shampoo/soap route but haven't found anything that I really love and can also afford on a consistent basis. Shampoo bars sound sort of intriguing.

Once I am out of my current stuff, I'm switching to chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shambar.htm

They seem to get rave reviews. However, people keep giving me shampoo and free (particularly when it's LUSH shampoo bars) wins out over organic and natural every time.

Woah, Titus is really freaking out over Kelly bathing her kids together! Scripture is flying all over the place in his (her?) comments!

Woah, Titus is really freaking out over Kelly bathing her kids together! Scripture is flying all over the place in his (her?) comments!

link?

Can we all please stop treating chemicals like a four-letter word? Water is a chemical. All matter is chemicals.

:clap:

Oh shit they're throwing out the Leviticus quotes.

But then, my German mother thinks American reservations about nudity are ridiculous...I think my American friends had different household rules than mine, although our fellow German ex-pats were the same, and I remember being at the beach with another German family and showering with my siblings and their two kids all together...

Really though, not showering/bathing every day isn't that bad, just ask us students how often we shower during paper-writing time...

Preach. I never was body-shamed until we came (back) to this country. Dunno if all Germans are more free about modesty/defrauding/whatnot, or if my lot and yours are remarkably similar, but the effect was that my family just never learned to care, and so I experienced a series of culture shocks as I went through puberty. (No, you freaks, I'm not a stripper. I'm just changing out of my bathing suit in this here locker room. Oy.)

I, um, can also testify to the necessity of a good, long scrub after my papers were done. During Hell Week, my poor partner spent our evenings together making sure I ate, never mind bathed. And this was me not procrastinating! The night I turned them all in, though, I went upstairs and scrubbed every inch I could reach.

All that said, there's a really simple rule of thumb to be followed w.r.t. kids and bathing: if they smell, wash them, and I do mean wash, not soak. Maybe it's me, but I do not want to be smelling that, and I have cleaned up some foul messes in my day. Besides, if you don't have AC, the best way to cool off is to take a bath. (I know from whence I speak. Our AC kind of sputters and dies when it comes to the top floor of the house. A good body-temperature bath works like a dream.)

When my son was infant/toddler age, I bathed him every other day in the winter. In the summer, if he (as a toddler) had been playing in the dirt/sandbox, it was every day. Now he's 9, and it's a fight to get the child to shower. I'll be glad when he discovers girls don't have cooties so he'll want to take a shower :D . I have to nag him to make sure he brushes his teeth, also.

Re: baking soda and vinegar as shampoo. I have really oily hair, and use baking soda/vinegar once a week to dry up some of the oil. This way, I only have to wash my hair once per day. Sometimes I also pour a can of beer in my hair before washing it, it helps control oil, too.

:D LOVE.IT.

Our little fundies are trying to out Jesus each other.

Please lord, let Taryn weigh in on this one.

Where are you all seeing this at? I'm looking on the titus 2 spot but not seeing it. A hint or link would help. :pray:

Archived