IGNORED

A Shining Botkin Beacon of Snark

Someonetocall

kbotkin.com/2012/09/13/in-the-interest-of-biblical-marriage/

Once again, Katie Botkin has demonstrated what education outside of the home, and the ability to wrestle with ideas instead of taking them on as beliefs, will get one: the ability to take a fallacious argument and, by changing noun, refute it.

Warning: if you get triggered by fat-shaming (even fake fat-shaming), this link is not for you

I LOVE this!! Only problem is I have too many fat friends who wouldn't get it/would be offended so I can't share it on Facebook! But it's great

Eta: y'all are right, I'm gonna go ahead and post it :)

Hard to believe she's a relative of the Botkinettes. I sure would love to be a fly on the wall for the Botkin family get togethers and the afterwards when both sides talk about each other...

btw, also fat and loving it.

kbotkin.com/2012/09/13/in-the-interest-of-biblical-marriage/

Once again, Katie Botkin has demonstrated what education outside of the home, and the ability to wrestle with ideas instead of taking them on as beliefs, will get one: the ability to take a fallacious argument and, by changing noun, refute it.

Warning: if you get triggered by fat-shaming (even fake fat-shaming), this link is not for you

As a Person of Vast Scope and Dimension, I found her piece hard to read--but she is so, so spot on, as always.

Excellent. I get why her example may seem offensive, but I think it hits close enough and in such a way that it makes her point.

She also has a very elegant writing style that I'm currently envying.

Awesome. Well said. Could not find a better parody.

I do recall her saying she has a good relationship with her cousins and she admires the loving family. I like to think she would give them a place to go if they ever decide to run.

So I just saw Botkin and I thought the OP meant there was a lot to snark about in the post so I thought it was serious. Horrified, I posted for the first time on what I thought was a fundy blog. How embarassing that I could not tell the difference.

At first I was all WTF? But then I remembered that even though she's one of those Botkins, she's NOTone of those Botkins. Well done.

I realize that the Bible never actually objects to fat marriage. However, since it decries gluttony in general, it’s safe to say that minor detail was sort of was left out on accident.

Then what else was "left out by accident"?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done Katie, well done.

I am glad to see that there is at least one educated and sane Botkin in the world. This post, and one she did reference spanking a few weeks ago has me in love with her. :)

Oh Anna Sofia and Elizabeth, it must eat you up inside seeing your cousin live her life and you still stuck at home with daddy dearest.

I have a suggestion for you. Call up Katie the next time your daddy leaves you alone in a room long enough to make a phone call, and plan your escape. Your life can have meaning and purpose outside of taking your daddy's shoes off and rubbing his feet (though I hope you don't do THAT anymore).

Apparently not everyone has gotten that it was a parody, if you look at the comments. Seemed obvious to me, but...

I'm desperately hoping the comments are parody too. :?

It's an attempt at humor. From the comments:

This is a satirical post. I’m actually a bit horrified that people could possibly suspect otherwise — I in no way actually want to deny larger people equal rights under the law. I am thin myself, but that does not give me the right to make fun of them. It just means that, really, I have no clue what they go through from day to day. Personally, I don’t think that gives me the right to judge them, even if I’m following the Bible. Every single argument I use is used most frequently in the interest of preventing gay marriage — and I’ve often heard, behind closed doors, the same people who would deny gays marriage under the state getting really grossed out by the idea of being gay. But frankly, that’s just weird. It’s rude to mock another human being and deny them a categorical right merely because you think they’re gross. You can think a human being is gross for any number of reasons — and in that case, I doubt that anything like reason will change your mind. But perhaps you shouldn’t be dwelling on what it is that they’re doing if you find it gross. Or perhaps you shouldn’t consider yourself superior to them in your right to marry the consenting adult you choose to marry, even if you try to back it up with Bible verses or science.

I've not seen her blog before and loved it. I, too, would like to be a fly on the wall for family get-togethers. I particularly like the post where she refers to her cousins' book: kbotkin.com/2012/01/05/it-might-be-a-little-bit-complicated

I read the title as "shining bacon of snark". No bacon for me tonight it seems.

Well my opinion on this is that.....wait bacon? Did someone say bacon?? WHERE???

Sorry, some people are distracted shiny things......some by bacon. Clearly, I am the latter.

I will go read the actual article now and attempt to make an intelligent post. As long as there's no more talk of bacon.... ;)

Replace "fat" with "gay."

Good for Katie!

I get it now. Clever! (Also-- I'm fat, and not loving it but not loathing it either! LOL! And yes, I'm fat. Not chunky or curvy, fat. LOL)

ETA: "Refrain from being fat" ROFL! Also-- I want bacon. :)

I kind of wonder, sometimes, if the reason some fundies make a big deal about the 'sinful' and 'secular' nature of holiday celebrations is to have a good excuse for NOT getting together with extended family on those days.

Archived