IGNORED

"there should be more people like this in society"

Deleted07

I tend to take a "Don't let them imply, make them say it" approach. What makes them better than other families? Then follow with similar questions. They have no debt? Well, then, what about families who go into debt because of the medical needs of their children? Is debt worse than medically neglecting a child? No? So "legitimate" debt is okay. So, say, food, housing, clothing, medical care. But no vacations, right, because those are a luxury? Well, the Duggars can afford some of those vacations they take. It's paid for by the network. So, it's okay to find someone else to pay for your vacation so you don't go into debt, right?

In my experience, since the sort of people who make these statements are probably not very educated and don't have much experience with critical thinking, they'll start talking in circles and then get huffy with you. They might not learn much from it, except that you're "mean" and "twist things around" but these kind of debates are about planting a seed in those who simply haven't thought about it before, or are on the fence.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I postulate that there are people who see the world exclusively in black and white with no shades of grey. Those are the folks that have one view of the world only and cannot see anyone else's.

Yeah, and simply cannot see the other side or even attempt to comprehend it. Maybe some grow up and out of it but others, it's just how their brains work. My husband was just saying to me about when Gore and Bush were running against each other and had a debate, and Bush got the upper hand when Gore had been talking I think about social security and quoting all these numbers and statistics and all sorts of figures, and then it goes to Bush and he just goes, "Fuzzy math." And people thought that was awesome.

Whenever I read those comments about how wonderful the Duggars are and we all should be that way, I hear it in my sister's voice, and she would say such a thing because she would say that the Duggars are a family "after God's own heart", that they live and breathe their devotion to God and of course, to her, that is not only the ideal but the only way anyone should ever be. They can blind themselves to anything if they think it makes God happy. Because the God they worship and love and follow from the Old Testament is really an asshole.

I think it has to do with people wanting to be comfortable. Mainstream, middle-class society is most comfortable with a slightly-upper middle class white Christian man and a white Christian woman getting married and producing a lot of white Christian children. Non-whites, non-Christians, non-heterosexual, divorced/step families, etc- all these things make them uncomfortable because it doesn't fit their mental picture of the perfect American nuclear family.

+1 :)

We would have a primitive society. No scientific, technological, or medical advancements. It would be another dark ages. We would probably go back to using leeches to cure fevers.

No cocktails, no going out on the town, no harmless flirtation, no beautiful fashion, no FUN!

No dancing :( I'm a shitty dancer to begin with, but I do enjoy watching people dance! That's one thing that kills me. Do they like...not even allow toddlers to dance to music? Because dancing is one of my daughter's favorite things. It would be heartbreaking if I had the "conviction" that she wasn't allowed to dance.

But then there wouldn't be Dancing With the Stars, So You Think You Can Dance, Dirty Dancing...hmmmmmmm

Bolded is very true if everyone were like the fuggars, I wouldn't want to live on this Earth!

Especially when essentially the breeding they are doing is inturn to get their broods into the magority to get into office and parliament etc and make their Bible-storybook LAW! Which is scary indeed!

Archived