IGNORED

hannah overton on 20/20

homeschoolmomma1

I wish I'd seen it. Reading through the 7 pages of the 2nd link I'm not convinced Hannah murdered this child. I think it was accidental and related to the child's pica. Lots of reasonable doubt.

from what I've read so far I agree with Nurse Nell....man, it's so hard to say...if the kid had pica and was ingesting things he wasn't supposed to it could have been accidental....I will have to keep reading....

I'm out on this one. On one hand my state has a very bad record with wrongful connections. On the other hand, force-feeding salt seems like just the kind of sadistic punishment child "trainers" would think up.

I remember when this first happened. Also happened to see the 20/20 update and read that really interesting article that was posted.

The interview with the jurors on 20/20 was definitely disturbing. And most of the prosecution's evidence *could* be explained by other factors.

But I could definitely see how Hannah Overton's demeanor could be perceived as suspicious. And how they handled the boy getting sick was....misguided at best. (Although it's often people with just a little bit of medical knowledge that fall into the rut of thinking that they can handle things that they truly can't, in my experience. And I'm sure not having insurance also played a part.)

Anyway, overall a disturbing case.

/rambling

• 2 years later...

The charges against Hannah Overton were dropped today by the Nueces County DA's office.

Fundies all over the country are elated no doubt as they thought of this case as persecution against a

fundie homeschooling family who tried to adopt a troubled child and using good old fashioned

discipline instead of fancy counseling.

I hope she and her husband are able to feed their children. If something goes wrong, I hope next time

she will bother to call 911 instead of calling her husband to come home.

Archived