IGNORED

Fundies and Name Brand Clothing - An Inquiry

Turning-A-New-Leaf

Random Thought...

Today, I was thinking of how often we see pictures of fundies in more stylish clothing or name brand clothes. Most likely, a lot of the clothing probably comes from thrift stores, garage sales, etc., or homemade (not usually stylish).

But, looking at the families we most often see or hear about, i.e. Bateses, Duggars, Maxwells, Gradys, Beasleys, Wissmanns...etc.

I can't help but wonder if the more conservative, modest members of these families actually seek out the brand themselves.

Here is an example to show where my thoughts were going...

For years, we have seen The Duggar Family stray farther away from their more modest, conservative style, into more stylish outfits.

We see a lot of name brands on them, i.e. Abercrombie and Aeropostale, etc. This is especially noticeable on the women and mens collared shirts.

For them, we know they shop at thrift stores, garage sales, online, get hand-me-downs, TLC outfits them, and possibly visit malls (have not heard them say if they have).

But do you think these families actually know what type of brand they are wearing?

If they don't watch t.v. or explore the internet, then they are not exposed to ads for these items, so do they then just wear items they think are modest and stylish?

Also, do you think that they know how these brands are sometimes advertised?

For instance, usually with Abercrombie, Hollister, Aeropostale, and related stores, the ads and pictures on the store fronts, are definitely not fundie-friendly, usually half-clothed people on wall hangings and shopping bags, we definitely would not see them toting those bags around the mall.

So, knowing how the brands are sometimes represented, would these families still shop for and even wear these brands?

If there are any ex-fundies or current fundies (lurking, of course) that could provide some insight, that would be great. Of course, all other FJ'ers are welcome to provide insight too :)

I know there has been some discussion about fundies and clothing, but not sure if this particular topic was addressed.

Thanks. :)

Gosh I got lost in that post. Are you asking how they know about contemporary style and clothing brands without access to pop culture media or adverts?

Totally understandable...I was trying to write out my thoughts, but then ended up creating a few more questions along the way. Thanks for reading through it.

Probably focus more on the last two questions posed.

Thanks.

I don't see a lot of advertisement for Hollister and similar brands. I suppose they find out about the "in" clothing by osmosis, the way other teens do.

I think they get most of that swag free. I am doubtful that JB would approve of Hollister's advertising (even the shopping bags are delightfully defrauding!) but the clothes are cute and emmiedahl is right - teens quickly figure out what is "in." The Duggars are at colleges all the time, exposed to contemporaries who SHOP.

I think the Duggars have stopped going to thrift stores. I think it possible they are getting free clothing from Ecko, Aeropostale and other companies. I get the feeling that they do buy some of that stuff. Aeropostale often has good clearance sales. I laughed during the World Tour episodes when one of the boys was wearing an Ecko hoodie. Marc Ecko is well known for a supporting gay rights.

I do wonder about the Maxwells' frequent use of Under Armour clothing. I'm surprised Steve doesn't consider it an idol. I think the Maxwells probably buy UA stuff when it is on sale. It is only the sons who wear it and they usually wear polos, socks, and UA hats. I kind of remember the girls wearing UA visors in a pic.

Some of my more hardcore fundies probably never visit malls or any other stores that might sell name brand clothing. The lesser hardcore types or the fundie lites probably know what is in. Lynside and the Plesant Boundaries blogger are fundie lite types who like looking stylish all the time.

Aeropostale is pretty inexpensive because stuff is always on sale. I took my oldest there for back-to-school wardrobe refreshing and they were cheaper than Target. We did not even get anything on clearance because he has an odd pants size that is never there.

We've seen Aeropostale bags in the girls' room in the past. I really don't think they do much thrift store shopping anymore. What they do do seems to be solely for the benefit of the TLC cameras. They went to a baby boutique to get brand new, expensive stuff for Josie's crib and whatnot. No "buying used and saving the difference" there.

I do wonder about the Maxwells' frequent use of Under Armour clothing. I'm surprised Steve doesn't consider it an idol. I think the Maxwells probably buy UA stuff when it is on sale. It is only the sons who wear it and they usually wear polos, socks, and UA hats. I kind of remember the girls wearing UA visors in a pic.

I think they buy it at REI. UA is expensive! Which is why I buy the cheap knock-off stuff from Target and Wal-Mart. The Maxhells only buy things occasionally. I'm sure you have to wear things until they are ready to fall apart and then they mend them with their huge-ass expensive sewing machines. You have to keep wearing them until they cannot be mended. This is why they cannot gain any weight- Steve-o is so tight he probably won't buy them any new clothes if they put on weight. This is also probably why he restricts their caloric intake.

I couldn't imagine the Duggars going into any of these stores and actually shopping. You can't hear yourself think in most of the stores because the music (devil music!!!) is so loud. Also, you come out smelling like a baby prostitute because of all the perfume and cologne.... or whatever they are pumping through the air in their stores. Plus, there are ladies panties and men's underwear out for everyone to see!!!!11!!!!!!!

Archived