IGNORED

Taking away Halloween...

Koala

I think it's even worse when kids already have Halloween and then you take it away from them. Halloween was always my favourite holiday, and I've always wanted to have a Halloween wedding. It's just a whole lot of fun with dressing up and free candy, and her kids won't get other opportunities for those things. Thinking Halloween is Satanic and not celebrating it because of that makes no sense to me...I don't get how it's supposedly Satanic at all. Though I guess to these people Pagan and satanic are the same thing, because no way will they do research to see how it's not.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sure, the homeschool kids get to play dress-up every day, (according to the comments) but they don't get to show off their costumes to their friends and strangers.

I miss the days of feral children roaming the streets unsupervised. Those were the best. Scary and fun things happened! We filled up pillowcases (decorated with the faces of New Kids on the Block, of course) with crap candy. We dressed up as witches and goblins and ice skaters and hippies and superheros and once Sarah Jessica Parker. We talked about who was going as who/what for a month! Halloween was the best. The air was crisp and chill and you got to see inside of other people's houses. You could hide behind trees and jump out at people. You got to ring doorbells!

Damn fundies and their lack of perspective. And damn helicopter parents for sucking the fun out of being a kid. Last Halloween I didn't see a single child without a parent. There were very few children over the age of 5/6 even trick-or-treating. :(

This sounds like my Halloweens growing up. It was my favorite holiday...still is to be honest. My mom really likes scary movies so I'd usually sit up with her too watching old Hammer movies. The more terrible the movie, the more fun we had (I think we were the original MST3K :lol: ) When I got a bit too old for Halloween I enjoyed answering the door and seeing all the costumes. After the small kids came through I'd run out with my friends and cause mischief.

We were very nominally Catholic, and our local parish always hosted a Halloween party every year, with the bobbing apples, candy and a haunted house (but not scary anti-abortion type). They would encourage us to dress up as our favorite saint, but it wasn't a requirement to get into the party.

I feel sad for those kids missing out like Kendal's. I have so many good memories, and they will not have a chance to make any more fun memories.

I love how Kendull stresses that the whole Halloween thing is a personal decision, and she doesn't judge others who choose to participate, then goes on to post this little nugget in the comments:

I guess if I wasn't a stay at home, homeschooling mom, I would be more inclined to go overboard with holidays. I would do it based on guilt. Guilty because I wasn't providing for them during the day so I would feel the need to "make up" for it. But because they have my love and attention most of the day, I don't feel that they are lacking. They get to play dress up anytime they want to throughout the day and they get treats ALL the time.

But she's so not judging.

And Kendull, I make a big deal out of certain holidays with my kids because I love certain holidays. I'd make a big deal out of them if I was childless. Suck it, funsucker.

I love how Kendull stresses that the whole Halloween thing is a personal decision, and she doesn't judge others who choose to participate, then goes on to post this little nugget in the comments:

But she's so not judging.

And Kendull, I make a big deal out of certain holidays with my kids because I love certain holidays. I'd make a big deal out of them if I was childless. Suck it, funsucker.

Well whatever makes her feel better about herself, I guess. I mean, isn't that what her commen boils down to? She can say it's God, but it's not, it's control and a smug sense of superiority. :roll: I just wish she would get counselling for her self esteem issues instead of abusing her power over her children to make herself feel important.

I'm surprised she's let her kids have Halloween for this long.

I don't get it - I take my kids Trick or Treating every year and never see "evil, scary images." Maybe we're not going to the good spots? 8-)

Guest Anonymous
I'm surprised she's let her kids have Halloween for this long.

I don't get it - I take my kids Trick or Treating every year and never see "evil, scary images." Maybe we're not going to the good spots? 8-)

I put up a doorcover, some fake ghosts, and have a carved pumpkin. Run away! Ahhhh! (Also, I buy the good candy.)

People didn't let me stop trick or treating until I was 20. Because my brother and sister are a lot younger than me, I took them trick or treating. It never failed that a parent would hand me candy or even a bag because they thought I was too young to stop trick or treating.

I don't see why kids' holiday just can't be fun and goofy. Some parents really dislike the dark, scary aspect of Halloween. But I've read that kids who dress up in scary costumes are actually combating their own fears. Besides, most of us celebrated Halloween, as did our parents, and Christianity is still the dominant religion in the nation.

I effing love Halloween. It's the only Holiday I truly enjoy and celebrate. I love ghost stories, I love the spookiness of it all. I have a tradition where every Halloween I take out the ol' Quija board for some spooky fun!

• 2 weeks later...
....sigh.... I hate to confess this, but it's time.

My folks were great. I have only the greatest respect for them.

That said, occasionally they went nuts. One year my mom took us trick-or-treating on 30 October. She told us to tell the perplexed homeowners, "Trick or treat. We know we are early, but we are Lutherans and will be in church on Reformation Day tomorrow."

I can still see the face of the lady who'd opened her door to us. (Where's my therapist, fer goshsakes?)

It's a 50-plus-year-old memory, but I seem to remember only that one lady, so probably BigMamaJB realized her temporary insanity, drove us back home, and ... did we go out again on The Day? I don't remember.

I am sorry for laughing but that is hilarious. LOL Beats the hell out of my childhood Halloween story when my sister got robbed. The kids were all crying, my mother was screaming, and my father wanted to kill the older boy who snatched my sister's candy bag. It was a miserable Halloween. LOL

We are in Halloween mode here. The kids want to be brother and sister zombies, and I am working on their costumes and pinning like crazy on Pintrest. I made a Halloween tulle wreath tonight and Friday night we are doing a Halloween movie and treats night. Well do something every weekend right up until the big night! Love this season!

Here's a Dear Prudie letter from today:

Dear Prudie: My family and I just moved this summer and are really enjoying our new home. We've met some of our neighbors and have visited in passing. Between work and driving our kids to practices, there really hasn't been a lot of time to get to know anyone further. This weekend my husband and I were out working on the yard and my next door neighbor was also outside. We were visiting and pretty soon his spouse joined us. Our kids are similar in age and they ended up outside throwing the football around and having a good time. All this was very spontaneous and fun. We were having such a great time we invited them all over for dinner next weekend. Later in the conversation, Halloween came up. That's when everything went straight to hell, literally. Turns out, our neighbors view Halloween as worshiping the Devil and all who participate as Satan worshipers. Prudie, we love Halloween and throw ourselves into the fun. Before moving, we hosted a party every year and went all out decorating. But as the conversation progressed, it became clear that this would be a deal breaker on any new friendship with these neighbors. In fact, it would offend them. If it just involved my husband and I, we wouldn't hesitate to do as we please. But I hate to have my kids lose their new buddies. So, Prudie, Witch way do we go? Do I leave all my skeletons in the closet, or tell them that the Devil made me do it? Signed -- A Cauldron of Conflict

Prudie's advice was to tell the neighbors that they would be celebrating Halloween, and don't let anybody ruin their good time. I agree--any friend who would make you give up a (harmless) activity you enjoy isn't really a friend.

We are in Halloween mode here. The kids want to be brother and sister zombies, and I am working on their costumes and pinning like crazy on Pintrest. I made a Halloween tulle wreath tonight and Friday night we are doing a Halloween movie and treats night. Well do something every weekend right up until the big night! Love this season!

I was stuck with all the hand me down costumes. I wanted princesses and glittery pink things. The next one up from me was a tomboy who always wanted to be a superhero. I was forced to choose from her used costumes. Halloween was never a happy time. If someone wasn't getting robbed, then I was in superhero costumes.

I equate the fall festival to calling easter "resurrection day". You are celebrating the exact same thing. Get over yourself and let your children have fun. Dont turn a holiday into an I am better then you pissing match.

I lovelovelove Halloween. Let's face it. It's the last pressure -free holiday. It's fun. That's the point. (Well, to me anyway.) And I'm Lutheran too. But I actually like my children and want them to be happy. Kendull seems like she actively looks for ways to make her children miserable while trying to look superior. I wouldn't put it past her to let them have Halloween for a while just so she could yank it away later.

Why is she so opposed to her kids actually being happy for a change?

Ugh, this just reminded me -- a girl I went to elementary school with and who got married young, has two kids under 5, and is now taking away Halloween too. She's muslim, and was fairly normal until she went on a Mecca thing with her husband, and now it's hijab, abaya, nothing secular in the house, etc. It makes me sad. I haven't dressed for Halloween since I was about 12, but seeing the facebook post where she advertised getting rid of all her scary stuff, I may do it this year...just because.

I love halloween. I have fond memories of trick or treating in SLC as a child. We always had the houses that gave out full sized candy bars, the old lady that gave out hard candy exc. It is seen by most mormons as a fun activity for families. There have been some concerns about safety lately. My sisters ward did a trunk or treat last year. Kids would go from car to car trick or treating. The kids still get to have fun but in a more controlled environment. Many malls also have a trick or treat event. That started to happen when I was a kid. I got a ton of tootsie rolls from the mall.

I have become the pencil lady. I give out fun halloween pencils with great erasers. The kids and parents love them because they are a non candy item. I may switch it up this year with bubbles.

Haunted houses have become big money in Salt Lake City. Growing up, there were a few haunted houses that would rent out space for a month or two. Now there are multiple haunted houses that rent out/ buy space for the entire year. The haunted houses are seen as harmless fun for teens and young adults. The best is one that is built in an old cement factory.

Dont get me wrong, I do disagree with many parts of the mormon faith. But, their attitude about halloween is refreshing in this day and age.

Like Halloween anymore has anything to do with religion. well unless candy or parties are a religion. when you start seeing the devil everywhere check your underwear he may be living in them.

It is called guising where I'm from :) Kids dress up in the costumes and get sweeties and stuff but you have to say a poem (it'd be like a limerick or something, not a full on recitation) or sing a song or tell a joke. That's little kids, bigger kids say "Trick or treat." (This is sort of new, we imported it from you lot across the pond :))

The recipients of your excellent guising feats will often give you a coin for luck, quite often a pound coin. I don't know why this is lucky, but it's supposed to be.

I used to sing the first verse of a song and my little brothers knew a joke each. I have many happy memories of guising as a kid. Wouldn't do it nowadays, I'm not bothered about any celebrations really (I forgot it was my own birthday until I got all cards and shit) :lol:

If people don't want to celebrate Halloween, fair play. We seem to think of it slightly differently than Americans do and when I was a guiser as a wean you would never find someone who said they don't celebrate Halloween or put a sign saying it was of the devil. Granted I'm 31 but I don't hear much reports of it even now, we were always told don't go near a house with lights off, they aren't interested. People just don't answer the door.

Like Halloween anymore has anything to do with religion. well unless candy or parties are a religion. when you start seeing the devil everywhere check your underwear he may be living in them.

Dont forget to check behind the couch. I have seen reports of him playing checkers with Jesus behind there.

I love Halloween. Even when I was more fundie, it was one of the things I didn't want to give up. It was funny as a kid though, because my dad would take us Trick or Treating then we'd get home and my mom would have Bob Larson on TV taking about how evil and Satanic it was. I was 1 or 18 the last year I went trick or treating before having a kid and the only years I missed were one year my dad was overseas and the years when I was living in girls's homes.

It's my husband's favorite holiday too and our first date was a Halloween festival / train ride thing and we used to go to that every year until it got too expensive. I think I only skipped Halloween totally one year when I was at my most hardcore fundie, but I remember being at church and hoping my husband wouldn't mention that we were dressing up or doing something for Halloween because I knew how it was thought of. Since my son's been born, we've gone trick or treating every year and the whole family's dressed up because it's fun.

I think people in the US have gotten a lot more restrictive and against Halloween in more recent times, maybe in part due to fear of strangers. I remember when our church was considered odd for having a "fall festival" and when trunk or treat started, but most people did that and trick or treating. It came up on a fundie message board a couple years ago and it seems like most people remembered even the hardcore fundamentalists allowing trick or treating and taking their kids up until the whole Satanic panic in the 1980s.

I think people in the US have gotten a lot more restrictive and against Halloween in more recent times, maybe in part due to fear of strangers. I remember when our church was considered odd for having a "fall festival" and when trunk or treat started, but most people did that and trick or treating. It came up on a fundie message board a couple years ago and it seems like most people remembered even the hardcore fundamentalists allowing trick or treating and taking their kids up until the whole Satanic panic in the 1980s.

I think its also become political. Extreme "good" republicans dont do it but "evil" liberals do. You have to show that you are conservative by eliminating anything fun.

There's a fairly religious blogger I used to read, and I was pretty impressed when she posted about Halloween one year. She decided to let her kids enjoy Halloween, even though she'd spent many years rejecting the holiday, because she realised that she'd grown up enjoying Halloween and - strangely! - it hadn't turned her into a rabid blood-drinking Satan worshipper.

I wish more fundies would consider that sort of argument. (For Halloween, college educations, whatever.)

Archived