IGNORED

When you cannot form a coherent argument...

emmiedahl

and as a high school student, Carter gave peanuts to many schools - ours in Oklahoma, included. I was only in 9th grade, so I don't know what the specifics were, but those schools where there were a certain number of poor folks got the peanut subsidy. I like peanuts, so I enjoyed them when they were served in one of those cupcake holder thingies. When the school "nutritionists" couldn't figure out what to do with all those peanuts, they put them in lime jello. I was content to eat them out of the cupcake thingies.

Now I'm off to eat some broccoli (those of a certain age will know...)

LOL @ broccoli. FIBER, baby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was in middle school during most of the Carter years and don't remember any peanut subsidy in my schools. Then again, I was in a nice, middle class school district that didn't need any peanuts in the school lunches. I don't remember any golf ball subsidies from Ford, but who knows, they may well have occurred. :dance:

I was with one of my girlfriend's buddies the other day and Akin came up (along with CFA and other things). Buddy likes picking on me so he shows me a mug with Reagan and his quote that liberals-know-so-much-that-isn't-so. I looked him in the eye and asked, "Like that women's reproductive systems shut down during rape?" political talk ended soon thereafter.

There really is a climate of Reagan-worship among young conservatives. I think it's easy to idealize times you weren't totally aware of -- whether you were very young or weren't born.

I remember the 80s. We lived in a two bedroom walk up across from a strip mall. Our neighbor below us had MS so I had to tiptoe around or he would bang on the ceiling with a broom. I was 7. Before that we lived in a house that was owned by a church. I remember playing double dutch in the parking lot with a group of kids of all colors and all poor. We did not have a garage.

I also remember the 80s. We lived in a rent house that was so rundown, you could see your breath even when the heat was cranked up. My dad worked out in the oilfield when the bust happened and we were damned lucky it turned around before he was laid off (he was the only employee left besides the boss). My sister and I were latchkey kids because mom needed to bring in money too. I don't know how they managed to pay for my medical care and physical therapy when I was diagnosed with Guillain–Barré syndrome in '86.

I was with one of my girlfriend's buddies the other day and Akin came up (along with CFA and other things). Buddy likes picking on me so he shows me a mug with Reagan and his quote that liberals-know-so-much-that-isn't-so. I looked him in the eye and asked, "Like that women's reproductive systems shut down during rape?" political talk ended soon thereafter.

There really is a climate of Reagan-worship among young conservatives. I think it's easy to idealize times you weren't totally aware of -- whether you were very young or weren't born.

The bolded makes a lot of sense. I see other fundies do it with other time periods. They often pick the 50s as a team when they say life was this perfect ideal they have, and they'll never believe they're wrong as they're not old enough to remember it. Since they don't believe pesky facts about times they don't remember, history isn't exactly their strong point as they like to pretend it never really happened. These are teh same people who claim the founding fathers were their brand of Christian.

It makes sense the younger ones are doing it with the 80s now. I was born in 1990, so I obviously don't remember the 80s, but I know enough to know that it can't have been all sunshine and puppies, no era really is. And instead of forming my own delusions based on rumor, I prefer to take the word of reasonable adults who were reasonable adults during the time period in question, for facts on what it was really like. And of course for time periods hundreds of years ago, I consult a variety of real historical documents, which fundies think are of the devil or something.

and as a high school student, Carter gave peanuts to many schools - ours in Oklahoma, included. I was only in 9th grade, so I don't know what the specifics were, but those schools where there were a certain number of poor folks got the peanut subsidy. I like peanuts, so I enjoyed them when they were served in one of those cupcake holder thingies. When the school "nutritionists" couldn't figure out what to do with all those peanuts, they put them in lime jello. I was content to eat them out of the cupcake thingies.

Now I'm off to eat some broccoli (those of a certain age will know...)

At first when I read this comment I assumed by "peanut" you meant nothing (it's used like that, sometimes, right? Or am I going crazy?) But then I read further and remembered that Carter was a peanut farmer and that he actually gave you peanuts.

Archived