IGNORED

Any unemployed fundies?

YPestis

I'm raising my hand here to ask a question. What are the mental gymnastics that fundies go through to come the the conclusion that WIC is not welfare? I didn't realize this was a tenet.

I remember years ago I was lurking on the Maxwell's recipe board. There was a woman with several children who was pregnant and asking how she could stretch the groceries for a month on 25 Dollars. :shock: People were giving these crazy answers like potato and water soup (I kid you not), and not a single person even hinted at WIC. I have never been back on the recipe board, it was just so upsetting that no one was telling her to get HELP.

That is scary. I'm crazy cheap with groceries and we spend about $400 a month on groceries (for 5). $25 is what I spend on bread a month!

I'm raising my hand here to ask a question. What are the mental gymnastics that fundies go through to come the the conclusion that WIC is not welfare? I didn't realize this was a tenet.

I remember years ago I was lurking on the Maxwell's recipe board. There was a woman with several children who was pregnant and asking how she could stretch the groceries for a month on 25 Dollars. :shock: People were giving these crazy answers like potato and water soup (I kid you not), and not a single person even hinted at WIC. I have never been back on the recipe board, it was just so upsetting that no one was telling her to get HELP.

The Maxwells heavily moderate their board. They could have edited out any references to welfare. My guess is the family is anti-welfare and probably don't want to condone such policies on their boards. I wouldn't be surprise if they cut out all references to welfare. It makes me wonder what happens if the Msxwells find themselves in deep financial trouble and have to take some gov't welfare (i.e medicaid for the kids). Would they even admit to it?

The Maxwells heavily moderate their board. They could have edited out any references to welfare. My guess is the family is anti-welfare and probably don't want to condone such policies on their boards. I wouldn't be surprise if they cut out all references to welfare. It makes me wonder what happens if the Msxwells find themselves in deep financial trouble and have to take some gov't welfare (i.e medicaid for the kids). Would they even admit to it?

I can't see Steve admitting to taking welfare. Wouldn't that mean he was somehow less in control of everything?

I believe the Maxwells are of the variety that would NEVER seek medicaid for their children. Their son whose wife has complicated pregnancies and high medical bills is a HUGE supporter of Samaritan Ministries. I suspect, as I have seen with some of the die-hard anti-welfare ones, they would skip medical care before they would seek out government assistance for it.

I have certainly seen fundies who go hungry before they will take EBT benefits. They will contact food banks. They will call churches. They will take charity from others, so long as it is given without being asked for.

I have seen children hungry. My parents were *only* Evangelical and I went hungry frequently as a child. My father said it would upset his churches to see their minister on government assitance. My mother was a Narcisst who wanted acolades for her sacrifices. Our medical care was completely neglected (and I have lifelong impact from that neglect) and we went hungry. When my grandmother would find out we were out of food, she would sent packages of food and money, always. She would feed us when she took us every summer to her house, and she would send us home with about a month's worht of groceries. However, we went hungry a LOT.

I've seen a lot of fundie kids who go hungry. It's considered virtuous and not scandalous for fundies.

My new son (came from a disrupted fundie adoption) has put on over 20lb since he came home to us 3 months ago. He was hoarding food when he got here. So, I asked him. Sure enough, they controlled the food, he wasn't allowed to eat without permission, and he was ALWAYS hungry in their house. Certainly explains the 20lb weight gain in 3 months! Fortunately, he's already giving up hoarding everything but the candy, and we can hope he'll let go of that eventually too when he realizes that we limit the candy that comes in the house but we don't take it away once we've given it to you.

It really breaks my heart to hear about kids who were/are hungry because of their parents' pride. :( Hearing about fundies controlling food access with adoptees, that just makes me want to go psycho.

But how do the ones who take WIC justify it as not being welfare? Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled some of them get to this conclusion, I'm just curious about how.

Just spent some time on the WIC website. It must take a bit of time and patience to initially figure out what you can purchase with the WIC check.

So, you select your items based on the descriptions on the WIC check. Then, you separate your WIC purchases from your other purchases. The cashier verifies that you've selected the correct items. What happens if you've chosen an item that doesn't qualify (i.e., pork & beans instead of plain canned beans)? Do you hold up the line while you run back and get the correct item? Do you end up paying for that (incorrect) item? Does your WIC check reflect that you can pick up that item at a later date? Or, have you missed the opportunity to get that item?

I noticed little WIC tags beside the price label on the shelf for the WIC eligible items while at the grocery store this morning. It seemed a little strange but only certain brands and also only certain sizes of peanut butter qualified. I don't know how many stores do this. I first noticed the tags at this store maybe a month ago.

Do you hold up the line while you run back and get the correct item? Do you end up paying for that (incorrect) item?

Actually, yes you do. Truly weird coincidence, but I just got back from spending an hour at the small supermarket near me. Loaded my stuff on the conveyer as the lady ahead of me was finishing. She was using a WIC check, and some things she was buying were actually flagged by the system which would not let her pay for the other 20 things she was buying until the order was voided and reproccessed as two seperate orders. She paid one with WIC and one with cash. She actually tried to apologize to me and another lady in line for holding us up and explained what had happened.

Yeah, the WIC line holdup happens all the time at my grocery store. And they have the labels for WIC on the shelves, to help people. Because the system's fucking complicated.

And sometimes it's plain stupid, like if one size isn't WIC eligible but it's on sale so if it WERE WIC-eligible buying the "wrong" size would be cheaper.

I immediately though of one I am not sure Free Jinger has followed yet. There's a fundie family that sold everything they own to go across the country to "help the homeless" and "teach" bible study classes. Any who, the well ran dry in about seven or eight months. They haven't posted recently. Bonus. They had a baby while living in the RV. They thought it was going to be a boy because an Amish clinic gave them an ultrasound and long story short it ended up being a girl. I know during their RV adventure neither parent in the family had a real job. They just asked for donations for their ministries.

http://ontheroadfamilyoutreach.blogspot.com/

http://birthingaquiverfull.wordpressDOTcom/aaaaaa/our-qf-story/

Not being able to afford a $1 dollar pregnancy test..but being thankful for learning 'submission' to her husband. Throw in some bankruptcy.

Seriously :shock:

Please, please, PLEASE don't put 'DOT' in the URLs anymore--just cut off the http:// at the beginning. Like this:

birthingaquiverfull.wordpress.com/aaaaaa/our-qf-story/

It's far less of a pain in the ass, especially for those of us who follow FJ on our phones.

Please, please, PLEASE don't put 'DOT' in the URLs anymore--just cut off the http:// at the beginning. Like this:

birthingaquiverfull.wordpress.com/aaaaaa/our-qf-story/

It's far less of a pain in the ass, especially for those of us who follow FJ on our phones.

No probs. My first link.

No probs. My first link.

And that link is a doozy. :shock:

She makes no mention of education on her blog, but I'd bet she homeschools. And if she does? Those poor kids--they'll never escape the impoverished fundie underclass.

Just like the only good abortion is their own abortion, it's only welfare when other people are on it.

OMG, the spelling and grammar. :o Not okay.

Gah, first sentence and I'm already grinding my teeth at the use of 'purposed'.

Just like the only good abortion is their own abortion, it's only welfare when other people are on it.

Thank you SnowDog. Do as I say, not as I do.....well, they never claimed to be original thinkers. :roll:

Yeah, the WIC line holdup happens all the time at my grocery store. And they have the labels for WIC on the shelves, to help people. Because the system's fucking complicated.

And sometimes it's plain stupid, like if one size isn't WIC eligible but it's on sale so if it WERE WIC-eligible buying the "wrong" size would be cheaper.

I've noticed the WIC tags throughout the store I generally shop at (actually they're at all grocery stores in the area, but I'm speaking about the one I went to earlier this week), but what REALLY gets my attention are the big signs on the milk cooler that say "X brand" (it's not the store brand or the brand that gets advertised on TV here) is the WIC brand. No, I've never bought the X brand, because, well, hmmm...something weird about it.

However, TIL that WIC is apparently still disbursed as a check. I would have thought they'd gone to EBT cards.

And, for the record, Social Security is doing away with all paper checks as of March 2013 and going to some type of EBT card if you're not getting your check direct-deposited into a bank account. Apparently even Social Security has no idea how many recipients will either get bank accounts or opt for the EBT cards, as in will it be two million or ten million? And then it's not known how many people will use the EBT cards at stores or go to banks at the beginning of the month to pull out their money like they used to do with the checks. For the vendors (i.e., banks) it's hard to plan for capacity when you don't have a clue how many people are going to visit on Social Security Deposit Day to get money. ObFundie: Wonder how many of our elderly fundies will think the new EBT cards are the mark of the beast? :)

It probably won't be that bad for Social Security. They've been pushing electronic transfer for literally decades and there probably aren't that many left without it.

I don't have any first-hand experience with the fundies, but with military people who are taking WIC. One former co-worker in particular is a Whiny White Boy Libertarian (ie, totally fails to understand that people all have different lives, and totally fails to connect his upper-middle-class white upbringing with his success in life) would bitch endlessly about welfare (and the infamous "women using abortion as BC"). Yet he and his wife had taken WIC when they qualified for it. He would argue that WIC is not welfare endlessly.

I've never been in a position where we qualified for it, but I think people who need it and qualify for it should USE it. I'm one of those people who wants to see kids fed.

However, TIL that WIC is apparently still disbursed as a check. I would have thought they'd gone to EBT cards.

I think the disbursement options vary state by state, but they are moving to the cards over the vouchers. It's still way complicated, though.

We still get vouchers. It only takes about 5 minutes to ring up each item. :roll: But it is free!!!

My husband has started buying the WIC stuff because I get too many nasty comments and have begun to dread using them. No one will say anything to him for some reason.

Archived