IGNORED

Elizabeth votes according to *her* conscience

ricky_ticky

Mom Munck has posted about the first time Elizabeth exercises her right to vote.

muncksquiver.blogspot.com/

Possibly the only time she will vote for her choice, rather than soon-to-be-hubby Joseph's. Or, do you think she asked his or her father's opinion?

I think it was once common for a wife to follow her husband's lead in voting decisions. I know my mother did so as a young married woman in the '50s.

What really strikes me is that Mrs. Munck is startled that her daughter is now old enough to vote, but seems totally unruffled by the idea of said daughter marrying a boy she barely knows in two weeks and moving across the country to live with him...

I'm so thankful we live in a country that was founded on freedom. Voting is one of those freedoms, one that makes a difference.

In other words, "Thank you ebil feminists for fighting for our right to vote!"

Mom Munck has posted about the first time Elizabeth exercises her right to vote.

muncksquiver.blogspot.com/

Possibly the only time she will vote for her choice, rather than soon-to-be-hubby Joseph's. Or, do you think she asked his or her father's opinion?

I think it was once common for a wife to follow her husband's lead in voting decisions. I know my mother did so as a young married woman in the '50s.

Have the Maxwells ever posted about voting? I suppose I should google...

Quite a while ago I remember reading Carmon Friedrich (the original Prairie Muffin of "Prairie Muffin Manifesto" fame) talking about voting, she honestly thinks that women should not have the right to vote (never mind hold office - she was against Sarah Palin running on the Republican ticket, and her family votes Constitution) but in the meantime, they shouldn't throw away their votes and let the voting liberal women have too much sway, so her suggestion was in fact to vote whatever way your husband tells you to.

Just boggles my mind. If YOU don't want to vote, fine, but don't take it away from ME.

My own parents voted independently, I know sometimes my mother would laugh and say that their votes probably didn't matter much because she was pretty sure that she was just cancelling out my father's vote :)

Not my mother. She was a far left Democrat, my Dad a die hard Republican. They never voted for the same candidates in their lives. It's funny because my Dad was Irish Catholic, he should have been a Democrat. They were married in the 1940's.

My own parents voted independently, I know sometimes my mother would laugh and say that their votes probably didn't matter much because she was pretty sure that she was just cancelling out my father's vote :)

This is pretty much me and the future Mr. DV... we do have some fun conversations, though.

Quite a while ago I remember reading Carmon Friedrich (the original Prairie Muffin of "Prairie Muffin Manifesto" fame) talking about voting, she honestly thinks that women should not have the right to vote (never mind hold office - she was against Sarah Palin running on the Republican ticket, and her family votes Constitution) but in the meantime, they shouldn't throw away their votes and let the voting liberal women have too much sway, so her suggestion was in fact to vote whatever way your husband tells you to.

LiaS talks about the "family vote", which I assume is code for what you've described. Given the many beautiful posts at Vision Forum re: Sarah Palin, I'm guessing that if the Cs toe the party line on women voting, they're hoping that eventually it will be revoked and in the meantime do their family vote aka adults vote the same. Unless what they actually mean is that they believe in fathers being the voice of the family, and therefore Perry is making the one "family vote"? Hmm :eusa-think:

LiaS talks about the "family vote", which I assume is code for what you've described. Given the many beautiful posts at Vision Forum re: Sarah Palin, I'm guessing that if the Cs toe the party line on women voting, they're hoping that eventually it will be revoked and in the meantime do their family vote aka adults vote the same. Unless what they actually mean is that they believe in fathers being the voice of the family, and therefore Perry is making the one "family vote"? Hmm :eusa-think:

Yeah I bet it's "Dad decides the vote, and then all voting-eligible people vote the house party line" thing (though there's NO WAY Dad will or can ever know if a daughter says F this and votes differently in the booth - the secret ballot is awesome that way!!!)

As far as I know the Constitution Party as of 2008 was not in favor of women voting but did the usual "if they have to vote, let those of conscience vote with their husbands" thing. Constitution Party was aligned with Dominionism and Biblical Law, all about Rushdoony and that whole wing of things. I was rather horrified to see a yard sign for them on my street, quite frankly (though I suppose we maybe cancelled it with our Green signs...)

It's a tension many places, what should the basis of society be? The individual (as is the ideal in the US) or the family (as is the practice many places with family registries). I'm from a background where every individual citizen of age can vote, but identity is managed by family registry, and there's all kinds of cracks that can happen. I prefer the individual registry if there is a registry. But if you read around the Constitution Party stuff or VF or various things, it's like they really wish we had family registers here in the US but worse, so that only the head of register would get any rights.

"I think it was once common for a wife to follow her husband's lead in voting decisions. I know my mother did so as a young married woman in the '50s."

My husband's ggrandparents always voted opposite and it stated that in her obit at age 105.

I'm certain I've read about more than one of our blogging friends having a "voting information" family meeting wherein the candidates were discussed and it was determined how each voter would be casting his or her ballot.

What I meant about my mother was not that my father told her specifically who to vote for, but that she changed her ideology from Republican to Democrat. She was born and raised in the South in a family of Republicans, married my father and came north and switched political parties. When I asked her about it she said, "Well, a wife did not vote differently from her husband. That was not done." as her explanation. Today I believe her affiliation is entirely her own choice.

Archived