IGNORED

Hammond Pastor Dismissed For Improper Relationship

nolongerIFBx

Amazing that there was anyone left in the congregation, isn't it?

Guest Anonymous
Amazing that there was anyone left in the congregation, isn't it?

Not only were there people left, according to the info I found this is one of the largest churches in America. Depending on which source you believe, anywhere from the 11th largest to the 19th, with average attendance of over 13,500.

**ETA: If a mod would be so kind, I think the video thread ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11949 ) should probably be merged with this one.

He's gotten progressively crazier. He was considered a little out there but was pretty well liked as a teacher and preacher/chapel speaker before he took over as pastor and has gotten more outlandish with his "preaching" and more arrogant as time has gone by.

Many IFBs have distanced themselves from him and a lot of people who were church members under Hyles have left. After the July 8 sermon where he talked about sex so much, but before the story about the 16 year old girl broke, many others left or talked about leaving, including several Sunday school teachers and others with positions in the church and school.

Still, people overlooked a lot of stuff they shouldn't have and I think a lot of this was because of the unfortunate tendencies on those circles to elevate the preacher to this god-like status and then defend him even when he's clearly wrong, perverted, and/or crazy. The really sad thing is the "Polished Shaft" sermon is not a one time thing -he's preached it since at least 2004, usually at Youth Conferences, and it is considered one of his best "classic" sermons. I don't know if he included the motions all those years because I was gone before then.

Is there a text of the sermon available online? I couldn't understand what the hell he was going on about and I'm trying to understand why people liked such a bizarre performance.

Guest Anonymous
Is there a text of the sermon available online? I couldn't understand what the hell he was going on about and I'm trying to understand why people liked such a bizarre performance.

Here's some bits from the sex sermon (the July 8th one that Raine referenced) I quoted it in the thread about the video. I didn't see a transcript for the "polished shaft" bit.

01:20 Let me ask your daughter something. You date him? Have you

kissed him? Ya’ sleeping with him? Multiple times?

04:04 And I’ll look at the person and say, who ya sleeping with? Your

kid’s problem(s) isn’t, the, did you see how short her skirt is, no,

the problem is, she takes her skirt, and everything else off. Your

kids are coming to me and telling me they have sexual experiences in

the hundreds; hundreds; hundreds.

05:04 Is she good in bed? How many times have you slept with her? Are

you uncomfortable?

05:46 You know, the most common question I ask our teenagers: are you

safe in how you act? Mom and dad, you understand the language? That’s

my most common question. In Baptist Church, in Hammond, Indiana, are

you practicing safe sex?

09:10 I want to say to my fellow brethren cremate me over this. Absolutely destroy me on the blog pages. Massacre. We’ve lost lost

scores of HAC students because pastors get furious when I talk about this. But who wrote the book on sexuality folks?

09:47 Nobody wants to be more intimate with you than God does. The language that Jesus Christ used when he talked to his Father about what he wanted for his people. Read John 17 mom and daddy and tell me how intimate he wanted your kids to be with him. Read John 15 and ask me if Jesus Christ just wanted to shake hands. [whispering] If you abide in me, and my words abide in you. I in you. You in Me. We in the Father, the Father in us. Don’t try to reach some ambiguous theological nonsense in that. Jesus was saying, can I put it in language that everybody understands. He says “I want be the most intimate of intimates with you.â€

10:50 But if we don’t get it figured out that we’re connected with God. And when your teenager goes through adolescence and they start changing, and daddy, you don’t want to touch her anymore, you know you don’t want to hug her anymore; trust me, she’s got a boyfriend lined up who’ll be happy to touch her.

11:50 Mom, dad, listen to me. I don’t need more business, but when your children reach that age, and they start going through that 13, 14, 15 year stage, send them to me, I’ll talk to them. Please don’t look at me like I’m stupid, why are you talking this way? Because I don’t want to lose your kids, that’s why. Because you don’t want to find out about it do you mom and daddy. And I’ll tell you three reasons why. Number one, because you’re dirty yourself.

12:42 I was one of those little kids that went to a public school. You’ve heard me say it, I watched sex take place in the Junior High hallway, but I was a virgin when I got married.

13:09 You know what grieves my heart. I’m looking around and see some of you men sleeping and I want to walk up to you. I can tell you how many girls your son has slept with; I know. He lives at home with you right now. You’re sleeping. You’re sound asleep. I want to walk up to you and say wake up dad, your son is whoring around.

15:03 Do you know how many times your daughter sneaks out in the wee hours of the morning to have sex with her boyfriend? Well, not my

daughter. I’ll take pictures for ya’.

I couldn't find the text, but there's a very detailed breakdown of it (by someone who is not a fan) at: http://www.fundamentalforums.com/fighti ... -01-a.html

Thank you, Raine.

"Mom, dad, listen to me. I don’t need more business, but when your children reach that age, and they start going through that 13, 14, 15 year stage, send them to me, I’ll talk to them. Please don’t look at me like I’m stupid, why are you talking this way? Because I don’t want to lose your kids, that’s why. Because you don’t want to find out about it do you mom and daddy. And I’ll tell you three reasons why. Number one, because you’re dirty yourself....Do you know how many times your daughter sneaks out in the wee hours of the morning to have sex with her boyfriend? Well, not my daughter. I’ll take pictures for ya’."

Oh yeah... that's not creepy or pervy at all. Great googly moogly.

Archived