IGNORED

Huckabee creates Chick-fil-a appreciation day - NSFW

lilah

I know for me and for a lot of people who are anti-Chick-fil-a this isn't about the words that were said. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If someone says, "Ugh, I don't like coffee" and I happen to love coffee, I don't feel attacked. It's their opinion. But when they say, "I hate coffee and I respect people who drink coffee," and then donate to groups who want me to stop drinking coffee- that I have a problem with. You can't have it both ways. You can't say I respect your right to drink coffee and then do all you can to help out groups who want to deny me the right to drink coffee. And this is essentially what Chick-fil-a is doing. They are saying, "We don't hate gays- we just don't agree with their lifestyle." Then they go and donate to groups that are denying gay people their civil right to marry.

This is not a freedom of speech issue. Not at all. No one is saying that the Chick-fil-a people can't have their own opinion. But what they're doing- actively trying to deny a group of people their civil rights- is wrong and we should all be standing up for that. Because today it's the gay community they're attacking, but what's next? Fat people can't marry because they'll pass along their bad genes to kids and we'll become a fatter nation than we already are? Or people with a low IQ can't marry because they might breed and we'll become a dumber nation? It might not be a group you belong to today that's being attacked, but it could be. And that's why people are speaking out against Chick-fil-a. Words are just words. It's actions, especially in this case, that people are outraged about.

Thank you for putting this so simply. I'm so very happy I only have one FB friend that posted things yesterday, but she happens to be the one that's frustrating me the most!

She has a son in his late 20's/early 30's who has started living nearly full time as a female and she just told me this about a month ago. I met the son for the first time at the Steampunk convention this year and was a bit curious about their choice of costume, but you can never tell much about a person when they're dressed for a fantasy/sci-fi event, so I never mentioned it, of course. A few weeks later, my friend said, "So, I guess you may be wondering about *Jaime ..." and then she went into the whole story. Her husband and her natural daughter are in complete denial & won't even acknowledge the change, but the other natural son is OK with it and now introduces her as his sister.

How can she have such vocal support for an organization that would spit on her son as soon as look at him? It's like the NAACP 'liking' the FB page for the next KKK pride festival!

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aw, baconbra beat me to the John Goodman bit. It's awesome! If KFC wee smart they'd start target marketing to gays.

More than denying them their civil rights, the groups that chick-fil-a supports do Really Bad Things to gay people. They perform anti-gay "therapy" that causes psychological trauma. They refuse to condemn Uganda for a government policy that allows them to kill people for being gay. They are classified as a hate group. The only people claiming this is a free speech issue are the ones trying to pretend that they're not raging homophobes.

Do you consider Whoopi Goldberg a raging homophobe?

I know for me and for a lot of people who are anti-Chick-fil-a this isn't about the words that were said. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If someone says, "Ugh, I don't like coffee" and I happen to love coffee, I don't feel attacked. It's their opinion. But when they say, "I hate coffee and I respect people who drink coffee," and then donate to groups who want me to stop drinking coffee- that I have a problem with. You can't have it both ways. You can't say I respect your right to drink coffee and then do all you can to help out groups who want to deny me the right to drink coffee. And this is essentially what Chick-fil-a is doing. They are saying, "We don't hate gays- we just don't agree with their lifestyle." Then they go and donate to groups that are denying gay people their civil right to marry.

This is not a freedom of speech issue. Not at all. No one is saying that the Chick-fil-a people can't have their own opinion. But what they're doing- actively trying to deny a group of people their civil rights- is wrong and we should all be standing up for that. Because today it's the gay community they're attacking, but what's next? Fat people can't marry because they'll pass along their bad genes to kids and we'll become a fatter nation than we already are? Or people with a low IQ can't marry because they might breed and we'll become a dumber nation? It might not be a group you belong to today that's being attacked, but it could be. And that's why people are speaking out against Chick-fil-a. Words are just words. It's actions, especially in this case, that people are outraged about.

:text-bravo:

For the record, about the mayors that are speaking out on this issue (Boston, Chicago and there's another one), while I agree with there sentiment- there's no room for hate in my city- I don't agree with them saying we will not let Chick-fil-a build a store here. Legally, they really can't do that. But I'm sure, and I hope, that citizens of these cities that agree with their mayors' sentiments will protest their asses off against Chick-fil-a. It's their right as Americans to protest.

What the fuck is the difference between 'rape-rape' and .. rape. Rape is rape.

Oh my goodness.

557937_10151945415280316_1211708608_n.jpg

I didn't know Rostam Ghasemi personally puts homosexuals to death. :roll:

For the record, about the mayors that are speaking out on this issue (Boston, Chicago and there's another one), while I agree with there sentiment- there's no room for hate in my city- I don't agree with them saying we will not let Chick-fil-a build a store here. Legally, they really can't do that. But I'm sure, and I hope, that citizens of these cities that agree with their mayors' sentiments will protest their asses off against Chick-fil-a. It's their right as Americans to protest.

In Boston, Menino's position is that as mayor he has the right to work to shape the image of the city as he sees fit. And he sees it as a progressive, college town and the birthplace of American liberty in a state where gays have had the right to be legally married for some time now. It's more a political statement and/or power move than anything else, because you're right, legally he can't do anything but express his contempt and maybe throw up a few roadblocks for them.

In Boston, Menino's position is that as mayor he has the right to work to shape the image of the city as he sees fit. And he sees it as a progressive, college town and the birthplace of American liberty in a state where gays have had the right to be legally married for some time now. It's more a political statement and/or power move than anything else, because you're right, legally he can't do anything but express his contempt and maybe throw up a few roadblocks for them.

Oh, and the tourism from gays the city might gain wouldn't hurt either. Please come to Boston in springtime...

Oh, and the tourism from gays the city might gain wouldn't hurt either. Please come to Boston in springtime...

I love Boston!

My husband's deskmate at work told him about a corporate interview he had at Chick-fil-a... he is currently telling me about it. He didn't talk enough about God so he didn't get the job (he was told he didn't fit in their culture) :lol:

Apparently there are Friday bible studies and the cafeteria does have Chick-fil-a sandwiches.

Oh my goodness.

557937_10151945415280316_1211708608_n.jpg

I didn't know Rostam Ghasemi personally puts homosexuals to death. :roll:

Oh, I see that they didn't get the memo that the US gets the most of their oil from non-OPEC countries, like Canada and Mexico.

Today my school hosted a professional development day. They had chick-fil-a cater lunch. Ugh! I guess that's what happens when you teach in the Bible Belt.

On the poignancy of this analogy; I saw this out of context and, like you probably did, knew exactly was going before reading the captions...

From OMM's FB page:

My husband and I went to our Chick-Fil A in KcKs last night just off Parallel by The Speedway and there were 8 policemen out directing traffic. We couldn't wait that long so we went to Bible Study and on the way back around 8:30 p.m the Manager Mark West was outside thanking people in the cars but having to turn them away because they ran out of food!! He was so grateful and was shaking everyones hand. God Bless him and his wonderful crew!! You've got to stand for something or you will fall for anything. Big government better watch out. This is not the 1940's and we won't stand for any Hitler's being around. We still have freedom of speech!!

So, being against the persecution of the LGBT community makes you like Hitler?

From OMM's FB page:

So, being against the persecution of the LGBT community makes you like Hitler?

We won't stand for Hitler's what? These people really need to work on that whole "possessive" thing :?

And yeah...considering how Hitler felt about the gays, I'm sure he would have been right there in the Chickfila line with the rest of the good christians. Even a vegetarian can eat fries, right?

Oh, I see that they didn't get the memo that the US gets the most of their oil from non-OPEC countries, like Canada and Mexico.

Ok, I realize it's not the point....but there is no fucking "owner" of OPEC, because its an alliance of countries, not a company. It is so irritating when homophobes lack nuance. :naughty:

Ok, I realize it's not the point....but there is no fucking "owner" of OPEC, because its an alliance of countries, not a company. It is so irritating when homophobes lack nuance. :naughty:

They also ignore the fact that comparing a single company to a product provided by a multitude of companies is like comparing apples to microwaves. No one boycotting chickfila is trying to claim that people should quit eating food :roll:

Archived