IGNORED

The Olympic Games and Fundies

Markie

Fundy families like to say they are patriotic and support their country. Do you think many of the fundy families we follow on FJ will watch the Olympics, or will it be too defrauding or "fun" for them?

My guess is the Maxwell offspring - especially the Reversal Kids - might not even know it exists. They will not watch as a family, but Nathan and Chris may watch some of the events online.

Smuggar may watch, but I doubt JimBob and Michelle will.

Do the Phillipses or the Botkinses have tvs? I don't know much about them except that Doug is a tool.

According to the Tao of Zsu, watching half-naked athletes is verboten.

Good question. My guess is fundies will avoid watching Olympic sports because the athletes are scantily clad and there are women athletes which goes against "Biblical femininity". The Maxwells are also very anti-organized sports. They've reiterated several times the evils of group participation in sports. I don't think fundies consider Olympic sports participation patriotic, probably more hedonistic....?

According to the Tao of Zsu, watching half-naked athletes is verboten.

I read that.

If Solomon watched he might just realise that 'Laundry' is not a sport. Poor kiddo.

Anybody who cannot appreciate the extremes of the human body and what it can do, as designed by their GOD, because of 'MODESTY' issues? Has issues.

They obviously think that every man is thinking sexsexsexsexsexsex when the females compete. They obvioulsy think all the females are thinking sexsexsexsexsex when the men compete. When most 'normal' people are just watching with total admiration at what the human body can do and what dedication these athletes have.

Archery...Fundies might like that. Khaki trousers and polo shirts...or is that shooting?

I read that.

If Solomon watched he might just realise that 'Laundry' is not a sport. Poor kiddo.

Anybody who cannot appreciate the extremes of the human body and what it can do, as designed by their GOD, because of 'MODESTY' issues? Has issues.

They obviously think that every man is thinking sexsexsexsexsexsex when the females compete. They obvioulsy think all the females are thinking sexsexsexsexsex when the men compete. When most 'normal' people are just watching with total admiration at what the human body can do and what dedication these athletes have.

Archery...Fundies might like that. Khaki trousers and polo shirts...or is that shooting?

Fundies who think like this are so dumb, or at least so wrapped up in their worldview, that it never dawns on them that in this situation the "skimpy" clothes are there because looser clothing has an effect on the athlete's performance.

I'd be willing to bet that the reveral kids have never heard of the Olympics. Sarah might have, but maybe has forgotten about their existence by this time.

I think there is a middle ground solution. They can cheer on Saudi Arabia, because the Saudis are so godly they don't HAVE women athletes. ;)

Edited because I really do know the difference between the possesive and the plural. :oops:

I think there is a middle ground solution. They can cheer on Saudi Arabia, because the Saudi's are so godly they don't HAVE women athletes. ;)

Which is why they are so shite HAHA

Good question, never thought about the Olympics and what fundies might think of them!

I had a google over at vision forum blog and found nothing significant being said about them, except their own brand of Father - Son Olympics they hold on their retreats *eyeroll*

Found myself amused at this quote;

The climax of the event was the “Father and Son Olympics†which involved dizzy lizzies, tug-o-war, sack races, and more.

:mrgreen:

Good question, never thought about the Olympics and what fundies might think of them!

I had a google over at vision forum blog and found nothing significant being said about them, except their own brand of Father - Son Olympics they hold on their retreats *eyeroll*

Found myself amused at this quote;

Can some American please explain " dizzy lizzies" ? We have tug-o-war and sack races though I hate to think how Dougie may have taken Dominion over these games and their previously innocuous secular meanings when he romps with the interns.

I always like using the Olympics as a focus for teaching. Unfortunately the Summer Olympics are during the summer (although the Sydney Olympics were in September) so that doesn't work, but the Winter Olympics are always during the school year here. The kids love doing current events for that unit and keeping medal tallys as well as researching athletes or sports. It would be a great unit for Homeschoolers, but so many of the Fundies will "shield" their kids from the Olympics. It is sad.

Aww :( Just a political fudge. Would it not be just amazing if one shrugged of the big tent and turned out to be the female Ussain Bolt?

I'm interested to see how they do. There's a part of me that thinks they're going to passive aggressively send below average athletes. :?

ETA: 1000th post!!! Thus begins my internship!

Can some American please explain " dizzy lizzies" ? We have tug-o-war and sack races though I hate to think how Dougie may have taken Dominion over these games and their previously innocuous secular meanings when he romps with the interns.

I believe dizzy lizzies is when you put your forehead onto a bat or pole thats in the ground and spin around it with your forehead still on it, then try to run straight!

Its always featured on those funniest video tv shows I believe! Its like the christian version of lets get drunk!

I'm interested to see how they do. There's a part of me that thinks they're going to passive aggressively send below average athletes. :?

Well. It is not like the Olympics have never been used to further a pretty view of politics before. Never mind the idiotic Fundies. It will be the highest viewed per person TV worldwide this year. In these times everybody wants a presence. Actually the fact the 'Fundies' do not watch, shows how insular and out of touch they are. What does make me happy is that fact.

Saudi Arabia is trying to appear 'mainstream' For world view. Yet Fundies in the US will not watch their own homegrown talent because they are immodestly dressed. It makes my head explode. They cry 'evil' that entered their shores. Then harbour/ encourage the same.

mind you, there are some fundie olympians. Lolo Jones, who I believe is very publicly saving herself* for marriage.

*As I wrote this, it occurred to me: I find this terminology odd and kinda disturbing. She's saving her virginity, not the entire entity of her being. This phrasing clearly conflates the two in a way that my secular feminist self is not comfortable with.

Also, this guy says that god is his coach :roll:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/sport ... wanted=all

Well. It is not like the Olympics have never been used to further a pretty view of politics before. Never mind the idiotic Fundies. It will be the highest viewed per person TV worldwide this year. In these times everybody wants a presence. Actually the fact the 'Fundies' do not watch, shows how insular and out of touch they are. What does make me happy is that fact.

Saudi Arabia is trying to appear 'mainstream' For world view. Yet Fundies in the US will not watch their own homegrown talent because they are immodestly dressed. It makes my head explode. They cry 'evil' that entered their shores. Then harbour/ encourage the same.

Well, there went the middle ground idea. ;) On a more serious note, the 2 Saudi women athletes live and train outside the Kingdom. Yeah definitely trying to appease the IOC.

Well, there went the middle ground idea. ;) On a more serious note, the 2 Saudi women athletes live and train outside the Kingdom. Yeah definitely trying to appease the IOC.

It really pisses me off that IOC let SA get away with not allowing female athletes for so long.

I think a few fundies might watch the Olympics. Kendull's daughter recently joined a swim team, so they might be watching the Olympics. I can also see fundie lite types watching the Oympics. I agree with others in this thread, the hardcore fundies like the Maxwells probably won't watch. Zsu pretty much confirmed that she and her family won't be watching. I think another reason she wouldn't allow her kids to watch is because of female athletes. She can't have Miriam and Becky seeing those "ungodly wimmin" and the opportunities open to women in sports. Josh Duggar will probably sneak watching beach volleyball when Anna isn't looking.

Maybe Dougie will do a re-enactment of the first Olympic Games where men competed in the nude!!!

mind you, there are some fundie olympians. Lolo Jones, who I believe is very publicly saving herself* for marriage.

*As I wrote this, it occurred to me: I find this terminology odd and kinda disturbing. She's saving her virginity, not the entire entity of her being. This phrasing clearly conflates the two in a way that my secular feminist self is not comfortable with.

Also, this guy says that god is his coach :roll:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/sport ... wanted=all

This guy lives in my town. A former member of that church claims that he saw someone stuffing glitter into the ventilation.

Archived