IGNORED

AFA Spokesman Says Tax Those Who Don't Attend Church

Alecto

Bryan Fischer yesterday decided the government should mandate that all Americans attend church (not temple or any other house of worship) and if they refuse the government should tax them for “endangering their physical health.â€

Fischer, the public face of the certified anti-gay hate group, American Family Association, yesterday on his radio program said that since “Obamacare is all about improving the health of the American people,†we should “mandate that you go to church for your own health and we are going to tax the atheists who don’t go to church.â€

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/fi ... 7/06/42953

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He knows it unconstitutional, but he's exaggerating to show "Obamacare" is wrong.

What he fails to recognize is hospitals cost a lot more money to run than churches, and the number of people having a spiritual crisis and need emergency services from the church is dwarfed by the number of uninsured Americans needing medical care.

What a jerk.

Well, I already attend the church of FJ and the church of hockey so someone should be paying me for all this church since I am devout and all.

HA! I'll set up my own church at my house then... anyone in the greater metro Atlanta area is welcome to attend. My husband makes killer pancakes on Sunday morning, so come early and hungry. I will enjoy the tax free status and y'all are welcome to tithe!!!!eleventy!!!!

I say tax people that go to church as fairy tails are for children so you should have to pay for the privilege.

Sigh. made the mistake of reading this out loud to my husband. He started to rant on the stupidity....should have known better.

Bryan Fischer is a giant asshole. You can tell because every time he opens his mouth, he just spews shit.

So how does that damage their physical health? I need a good argument before I rip on him for being an ultra-turd.

If churches didn't receive tax exempt status maybe we could put the extra money into health care. There really is no reason for religious institutions to be exempt from taxes. Most churches are businesses and should be taxed the same. I would make an exeption for those churches that physically provide charity to the poor in ways other then passing out pamphlets or preaching.

Maybe if the AFA spokesman keeps talking, people will reconsider the tax exempt status of religious institutions.

http://atheism.about.com/od/churchestax ... atters.htm

I have no idea if the article is acurate but if so, it is almost unethical for churches not to pay taxes. Churches that focus mainly on evangelism should not be considered charities.

Every dollar not paid by churches or other religious organizations must be made up from some other source. When all tax exemptions are taken into account, it is estimated that the average family may pay up to $1,000 in extra taxes every year to make up for the lost revenue not received from churches and religious groups. This includes sales taxes, inheritance taxes, income taxes, personal taxes, and ad valorem taxes.

Can we start a church of free thinkers and promote a message of equality and freedom? We can have weekly reading from great thinkers. After services we can have weekly potlucks. You can't beat free food.

Edited because I keep adding stuff

If churches didn't receive tax exempt status maybe we could put the extra money into health care. There really is no reason for religious institutions to be exempt from taxes. Most churches are businesses and should be taxed the same. I would make an exeption for those churches that physically provide charity to the poor in ways other then passing out pamphlets or preaching.

Maybe if the AFA spokesman keeps talking, people will reconsider the tax exempt status of religious institutions.

For sure no way vf or the pearls spend any money on the poor.

What a jerk. Of course, it's only IFBX churches that qualify. Can't have other peoples thinking they have a right to express their religion, no sir! Guess they forgot that old thing called a constitution, but of course, that's only trotted out when it suits them.

So how does that damage their physical health? I need a good argument before I rip on him for being an ultra-turd.

I would say he's bending one of the studies that positively link religiosity with life expectancy*, but he doesn't seem to be smart enough to even know such studies exist.

*At this point I am unaware of any such study that specifies Christianity as a factor increasing life expectancy, just having a strong spiritual side will likely have the same effect if the relationship is, in fact, causal.

HA! I'll set up my own church at my house then... anyone in the greater metro Atlanta area is welcome to attend. My husband makes killer pancakes on Sunday morning, so come early and hungry. I will enjoy the tax free status and y'all are welcome to tithe!!!!eleventy!!!!

Can I have waffles instead? As far as I'm concerned, there are 2 types of people in the world- pancake people and not pancake people. I'm NOT a pancake person. Seriously. A couple months ago I wanted panckaes so the first thing I did was get a pregnancy test because I NEVER want pancakes (test was negative. must've been kidnapped by aliens or something.)

Can I have waffles instead? As far as I'm concerned, there are 2 types of people in the world- pancake people and not pancake people. I'm NOT a pancake person. Seriously. A couple months ago I wanted panckaes so the first thing I did was get a pregnancy test because I NEVER want pancakes (test was negative. must've been kidnapped by aliens or something.)

Maybe everyone could bring a breakfast item so there would be lots of choices.

*At this point I am unaware of any such study that specifies Christianity as a factor increasing life expectancy, just having a strong spiritual side will likely have the same effect if the relationship is, in fact, causal.

I doubt the hate he spews would ever cause people to want to live longer.

This could come around to bite rev. Fisher in the soft parts. Imagine what would happen if atheists did attend church, participate in church picnics and stuff, added counterpoint to Sunday School and continued to be unapologetic, unaggressive unbelievers? They could fulfill his requirement in ways that might really start to suck for him.

I mean, are we to believe that he would expect them to tithe? That would be to laugh.

One of the last times I attended church, it actually caused problems to my physical health. It was during Lent and the Catholics here love them some incense. It was so strong that I got extremely light headed. I finally had to run out after about 20 minutes and threw up.

So, if I go to church and get sick ... I get to sue for medical malpractice, right?

Maybe everyone could bring a breakfast item so there would be lots of choices.

My husband makes awesome waffles. I'll bring our waffle iron.

I'll bring a crepe maker.

Churches should definitely not be tax exempt unless they give a significant, and I mean really significant, amount to the poor, as already stated. The majority of them are nothing but greedy money thieves and it's disgusting what they get away with.

We should have devil's food cake too, just to annoy the fundies. ''OMG, devil food at a church! Jebus wouldn't approve!"

Archived