IGNORED

3 part series on polygamist murders

I'm watching the episode about Rulon's murder as I write.  This morning they had another show about Ervil LeBaron.  I'd read about the Allreds and Le Baron's in Under the Banner of Heaven.

I saw that episode about Rulon Allred, and look forward to seeing the other episodes since the FLDS and other polygamist groups were my gateway fundies.

I don't know how I missed this, as much as I watch the ID channel. Just set up a series recording. Thanks y'all!

I'm watching the episode about Rulon's murder as I write.  This morning they had another show about Ervil LeBaron.  I'd read about the Allreds and Le Baron's in Under the Banner of Heaven.

The LeBarons were quite scary. They took that blood atonement stuff seriously.

This is awesome news!  Thanks for sharing.  I'm off to go find this!

I saw that episode about Rulon Allred, and look forward to seeing the other episodes since the FLDS and other polygamist groups were my gateway fundies.

You know, I realize these were my true gateway fundies.  The Texas raid happened while I was in grad school, and my favorite form of procrastination became reading up on polygamists and tell-alls.  It wasn't until a bit later that I learned about the Christian fundies, including stay at home daughters and way later, Erika Shupe.

The Allred group has since become the AUB, right?  And this is Kody Brown's sect of Mormonism, yes?

You know, I realize these were my true gateway fundies.  The Texas raid happened while I was in grad school, and my favorite form of procrastination became reading up on polygamists and tell-alls.  It wasn't until a bit later that I learned about the Christian fundies, including stay at home daughters and way later, Erika Shupe.

The Allred group has since become the AUB, right?  And this is Kody Brown's sect of Mormonism, yes?

I think so. IIRC Rulon Allred was Christine's grandfather.

Definitely going to DVR this to watch.  Under the Banner of Heaven was so chilling.  I also have read a book called The 4 O'Clock Murders which details 4 murders in 1988.   

My favorite book (by my favorite author!)...this is what stoked my interest in all things polygamy/mormon.

• 6 months later...

For those of us who missed this it will be on again on Wednesday the 18th. Looking forward to it!

I also wanted to mention I picked up a book yesterday from the thrift store called Cult Insanity by Irene Spencer. It is about the LeBaron brothers. Look forward o reading it. It was published in 2009.

On 11/9/2015 at 4:12 PM, amandaaries said:

It was a Dateline or 20/20 or 60 Minutes or Oprah that taught me about the FLDS and they are my first fundies too. When I saw the Duggars I was intriqued and later, I taught Old Colony Mennnonites. Basically I love me some fundies. 

I was able to watch the first one on YouTube. The other 2 are there as well, I just haven't watched them yet. It was very interesting seeing Rena Chynoweth's side of the story. It was sad really, sad that she has such a compartmentalised view of the events and not exactly remorseful. I don't doubt for one second that being under the rule of Ervil would have been terrifying, there's just something a bit off. Especially considering she released a tell all book that identified herself as one of the killers, but due to double jeopardy she couldn't be charged again.

44 minutes ago, peachykeen said:

I was able to watch the first one on YouTube. The other 2 are there as well, I just haven't watched them yet. It was very interesting seeing Rena Chynoweth's side of the story. It was sad really, sad that she has such a compartmentalised view of the events and not exactly remorseful. I don't doubt for one second that being under the rule of Ervil would have been terrifying, there's just something a bit off. Especially considering she released a tell all book that identified herself as one of the killers, but due to double jeopardy she couldn't be charged again.

YouTube you say, I know what I'll be doing tomorrow night.

YouTube is my saviour. I wouldn't otherwise be able to watch 3/4 of the docos released in the USA. :)

Archived