IGNORED

Article about modest swimsuits

ADoyle90815

Not even going to lie - I'd love a 3/4 burqini, and I don't even dress THAT modestly in everyday life. Aside from how terrible DiivineModestee is as a business name, I can totally see a secular appeal to modest swimwear for those of us who do not feel comfortable in regular swimwear. A sleeved rashguard top and board shorts are a cheaper, less colour-coordinated option though.

Edited to add that I'm a Christian and I generally think the Muslim and Jewish styles look much better than the fundie ones. Leggings >>> skirts.

DiivineModestee, the next Wilkinson kid.

Pfft, clearly DiivineModestee O'YHWH is Lina's 9lb preemie's name.

Pfft, clearly DiivineModestee O'YHWH is Lina's 9lb preemie's name.

Yahsome diivinemodestee O'YHWH :D

They wear things like wholesome wear just to stand out. To say I am more holy then you.

Edit: I have nothing against modest swimsuits. But, there are ways to make a modest swim suit that wont make you look like a freak in public.

Some of the examples in the slide show don't seem particularly modest to me. They just look like regular swimsuits with not too high cut legs or low cut tops, which I prefer anyway. I am going on my first 'beach' holiday for years in August and there is no way I'm exposing more milky English flesh than necessary! I've bought some nice tankinis with shorts-type bottoms. Ibiza here I come!

I would think wearing something like that would have bring more "Nike" moments than just a simple one piece.

My blonde, fair skinned Russian born daughter has been wearing "modest swimwear" ever since she arrived in Israel. She managed to get sunburnt in the Russian Far East, she burns in Israel in record time. There is a great market for modest swimwear for both sexes here due to the Orthodox population, and they actually look pretty good. My other two girls have no such issues, but my 10-year-old likes some of the styles. She doesn't like the religious propaganda attached to them, though.

My blonde, fair skinned Russian born daughter has been wearing "modest swimwear" ever since she arrived in Israel. She managed to get sunburnt in the Russian Far East, she burns in Israel in record time. There is a great market for modest swimwear for both sexes here due to the Orthodox population, and they actually look pretty good. My other two girls have no such issues, but my 10-year-old likes some of the styles. She doesn't like the religious propaganda attached to them, though.

Lots of people here wear rash vests and neoprene pants to protect from our strong sun too. But they don't look like they could drown in them!

I'm more than a bit paranoid about sunburns, so I'd wear "wholesome swimwear". But I can't stand the ideals behind it, and I don't want to be part of a trend like that. So, that glow-in-the-dark woman in the way too tight bikini lathering herself in SPF 80, while hiding in the shade, would be me. Keeping my wobbly bits exposed to prove to fundies that half-naked women aren't always defrauding since 2003*.

*Year I bought that bikini. Really should buy a new one, but can't be arsed.

Lots of people here wear rash vests and neoprene pants to protect from our strong sun too. But they don't look like they could drown in them!

Neoprene pants make her thighs look three times as big as they are--or at least she says. And they are ugly. Some of the Israeli styles are really nice, and no, you don't look like a barrel wrapped in Lycra. :D Some of the modest styles actually do look good, and have barely more than a raffle that actually hide what she likes to be hidden and are rather flattering. My daughter actually wonders if these styles actually satisfy the supressed vanity for some of the Ultra women. After all, they only go to segregated beaches anyway.

I'm more than a bit paranoid about sunburns, so I'd wear "wholesome swimwear". But I can't stand the ideals behind it, and I don't want to be part of a trend like that. So, that glow-in-the-dark woman in the way too tight bikini lathering herself in SPF 80, while hiding in the shade, would be me. Keeping my wobbly bits exposed to prove to fundies that half-naked women aren't always defrauding since 2003*.

*Year I bought that bikini. Really should buy a new one, but can't be arsed.

There are options out there besides wholesome wear. Look at hydrochique or some of the lands end options.

There are options out there besides wholesome wear. Look at hydrochique or some of the lands end options.

Thanks for the tip. I just googled hydrochique and immediately ended up on a website with links to the LDS. And their "about us" section uses the dreaded word "modest". Haven't looked at Land's End yet, but I will.

P.S.: Just googled land's end and am very much in love with a black one-piece! Thank you!!! :)

This is what I bought:

ebay.co.uk/itm/TANKINI-BIKINI-SWIMSUIT-SHORTS-STRIPE-BLACK-BELT-5614-/150578905183?pt=UK_Women_s_Swimwear&var=&hash=item230f33c05f

Some of the examples in the slide show don't seem particularly modest to me. They just look like regular swimsuits with not too high cut legs or low cut tops, which I prefer anyway.

Yeah, some of the pictures look like they come straight out of a Lands End catalogue.

It kind of bothers me that plus-size customers are mentioned several times in that article. While I'm sure some of those women would prefer modest swimsuits regardless of cultural trends or body size, I can't help thinking it's the result of fat-shaming that they're a significant customer base after religious women.

It seems to be that no matter what you wear in the water, if you use it for its intended purpose, other than sun protection, you won't get what you need.

If a suit gets wet, it ceases to be modest (because it clings to the defrauding bits).

If a suit gets wet, it ceases to hide your less-than-beautiful parts (because it clings to your flab).

If a suit gets wet, it's modesty could also be compromised because it could attract fetishists who get turned on by people swimming with their clothes on. (I'm so betting the JimBoob Duggar is a wetlook fetishist.)

It's also not really modest because it draws attention to the wearer. If hundreds of people on the beach or the pool are dressed in normal swimwear, the one wearing the weird little swimdress will stand out.

But then again, humans tend to obsess about being the center of the world's attention. The hundreds of people at the pool aren't looking at you. They're all worried that other people are looking at them.

I'm struggling to understand how some of those photos are modest...

I find most serious racers wear swimmers to their knees though and sometimes covering arms, so do people who don't want sunburn (I'm in Australia). You do see people in bikinis trying very hard to get skin cancer, but most girls I know wear tankinis, rash tops and/or board shorts anyway. Boyleg swimmers have been popular for a while now too.

I think they're making a fuss about nothing really, pretending it's all about modesty and their ideas are so unique, when in fact a lot of people wear swimmers like that anyway, that aren't specially ordered.

I don't understand the weird skirt flaps, they look ridiculous and totally unaerodynamic. I suppose seeing someone in shorts would be sooo defrauding.

It makes me a little crazy that these expensive designer suits are presented as the best modest options. I have a great collection of two piece suits from a cheap local store (think TJ Maxx) that all cost less than $20 each. I prefer a tiny skirt instead of shorts and I have a wide variety of tops, from modest tankini to hello boobs. There are more modest options available too. Don't pay too much!

Some of the examples in the slide show don't seem particularly modest to me. They just look like regular swimsuits with not too high cut legs or low cut tops, which I prefer anyway. I am going on my first 'beach' holiday for years in August and there is no way I'm exposing more milky English flesh than necessary! I've bought some nice tankinis with shorts-type bottoms. Ibiza here I come!

They're swimsuits for the Mormon population, which frowns upon high-cut, low-cut and two-piece suits. I personally see nothing wrong with them.

I like the ones from the company that is catering to Mormon women.

My kids are on a swim team, and the girls wear one piece swimsuits, since one-pieces are better for intense swimming. The team suits have a high front, which results in no cleavage, though that's not really the reason behind it. During the daily practices, they usually just wear any swimsuit they want, and some of the boys wear small brief swimsuits. The briefs sometimes emphasize every curve. I could care less, but to me, it seems that the fundies should consider those more immodest than the girls' swimsuits.

I watched the US Olympic diving trials on tv last night. I think that the male swimsuits are definitely more defrauding that the female suits. Kinda nice.

The Modcloth site has some great retro suits. They have 2 piece suits too. So far I can't find any mastectomy suits but I'm still looking. I swim laps and wear TYR suits for that, don't bother with prostheses but I would like a suit for going to the beach.

I'm struggling to understand how some of those photos are modest...

I find most serious racers wear swimmers to their knees though and sometimes covering arms, so do people who don't want sunburn (I'm in Australia). You do see people in bikinis trying very hard to get skin cancer, but most girls I know wear tankinis, rash tops and/or board shorts anyway. Boyleg swimmers have been popular for a while now too.

I think they're making a fuss about nothing really, pretending it's all about modesty and their ideas are so unique, when in fact a lot of people wear swimmers like that anyway, that aren't specially ordered.

I don't understand the weird skirt flaps, they look ridiculous and totally unaerodynamic. I suppose seeing someone in shorts would be sooo defrauding.

Yep, I have two tri-suits (high neck, one-piece, shorts to mid-low thigh) that were cheaper than most of the "modest" swimsuits and they blend in a lot more at the pool. For the beach, water aerobics, or less serious swimming, I wear a regular one-piece with a higher neckline and normal-low legs. It covers everything without screaming "hey, look at me, aren't I so modest". I hate the skirts because they drag in the water and show you down while swimming and the remind me of all the skirted plus-size swimwear which usually just makes me look bigger.

Archived