IGNORED

I don't spend money on....

latraviata

I love that she and Zsu save money by not using birth control. I did not know that raising kids were free.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rest of the list seemed fairly normal to me.

I don't pay for a newspaper subscription, because it's available free online. Unlike the print version, the online version gets updated as the stories come in, plus I don't have tons of newsprint around the house.

We probably all have our weird mixes of scrimping and splurging. I still have some habits from my starving student days: I don't go for regular haircuts, I dye my hair in the bathtub, I don't get manicures, I can cook up a big pot of cheap food without having it taste cheap, I make my own chicken stock and then save the meat from the bones, and I stockpile when I find basic items on a great sale. OTOH, I'll spend on other areas (I'm a travel freak, although we have managed to do a lot of it cheaply).

I love that she and Zsu save money by not using birth control. I did not know that raising kids were free.
Technically, I don't spend money on birth control either. My insurance covered the tubal years ago. ;)

They also save money on feminine products since they are always pregnant. I didn't know feminine products were that expensive. I only spend like 25-30 bucks a year on feminine products. Meh.

My OB was able to procure and place my IUD for free. In exchange, for the first year that I had it I participated in a monthly on-line survey about my experience with the IUD. Otherwise it would have been $275. But, hell for the 7-10 years that it will last, it amortizes to something like $40 a year for birth control.

I rarely pay for books. I frequent my local library and take advantage of the digital library to download loaner books to my Kindle, even when I'm not at home.

So many of these 'money-saving' lists are just ways to show how green/clever the writers are. E.g. in the comments 'saving money on lawn care by having raised beds and perennial planting'. From experience (I have a big garden and I sell plants for a living) I know it costs a lot to build, fill and maintain raised beds, and perennials are also pretty expensive to buy unless you're growing your own from seed or cuttings. A cheap second-hand lawnmower to cut the grass yourself would probably work out way cheaper - no-one has to pay for someone else to cut their lawn.

So many of these 'money-saving' lists are just ways to show how green/clever the writers are. E.g. in the comments 'saving money on lawn care by having raised beds and perennial planting'. From experience (I have a big garden and I sell plants for a living) I know it costs a lot to build, fill and maintain raised beds, and perennials are also pretty expensive to buy unless you're growing your own from seed or cuttings. A cheap second-hand lawnmower to cut the grass yourself would probably work out way cheaper - no-one has to pay for someone else to cut their lawn.

Not only that but time=MONEY. You know? Yeah, raised beds and gardening can bring you food, but you have to have the time to take care of the damn things.

Not only that but time=MONEY. You know? Yeah, raised beds and gardening can bring you food, but you have to have the time to take care of the damn things.

That is why they need so many kids-to do the gardening.

I don't own a lawnmower or have a yard service. I have fake grass so I all I do is vacumn it. No $200 per month water bills, now down to $44.

That is why they need so many kids-to do the gardening.

I don't own a lawnmower or have a yard service. I have fake grass so I all I do is vacumn it. No $200 per month water bills, now down to $44.

OMG I want vacuum-able grass! Fantastic!

To be completely fair, there are plenty of people who don't pay for birth control, but use FAM and also save money by not having kids.

They aren't those people, but "not using birth control" would be totally legitimate on this type of list if FAM were for you.

Wow, that sounds like something straight out of a Tim Burton movie.

Another thought. How much do you think someone like Zsu spends a year to raise each kid?

To be completely fair, there are plenty of people who don't pay for birth control, but use FAM and also save money by not having kids.

They aren't those people, but "not using birth control" would be totally legitimate on this type of list if FAM were for you.

Or you could get it for free from Planned Parenthood like I did in college...

I spend $40 a month for Zoloft. The cost of me being anxious to the point of living in one continuous panic attack, while raising three small kids six and under, is too much a cost for my family to handle. Seems to me fundie women like to cheap out on everything, and the concept of spending wisely to save in the long run isn't something I've seen mentioned.

Toilet paper is a staple in our house - I would cheerfully give up coffee to keep tiolet paper. Of course, the laundry is my chore, so... ;)

I spend $40 a month for Zoloft. The cost of me being anxious to the point of living in one continuous panic attack, while raising three small kids six and under, is too much a cost for my family to handle. Seems to me fundie women like to cheap out on everything, and the concept of spending wisely to save in the long run isn't something I've seen mentioned.

Toilet paper is a staple in our house - I would cheerfully give up coffee to keep tiolet paper. Of course, the laundry is my chore, so... ;)

Hmm, as much as I dislike doing laundry, I think I'd switch to cloth tp before I'd give up coffee. :)

On a serious note, though, it's like they have no real concept of certain "expensive" things ultimately being cheaper in the long run. I spent roughly $100 for my sandals but they last me 3 years. I was spending about $12 on a pair of flipflops every 2 months, so for me it was waaay cheaper to spend 100 to buy the sandals and $60 every THREE years to have them repaired. They have NO concept of that kind of thing. They seem to go straight to "well, $12 is less then $100 so the $12 flip flops are cheaper." Uh...

Hmm, as much as I dislike doing laundry, I think I'd switch to cloth tp before I'd give up coffee. :)

On a serious note, though, it's like they have no real concept of certain "expensive" things ultimately being cheaper in the long run. I spent roughly $100 for my sandals but they last me 3 years. I was spending about $12 on a pair of flipflops every 2 months, so for me it was waaay cheaper to spend 100 to buy the sandals and $60 every THREE years to have them repaired. They have NO concept of that kind of thing. They seem to go straight to "well, $12 is less then $100 so the $12 flip flops are cheaper." Uh...

This.

As I said, TP is often sold below cost if you stock up on sales. I know some people like dried beans, but canned beans - esp. on sale - aren't exactly expensive either.

I do agree with the no juice or pop bit - in our house, juice is reserved for smoothies, and water and milk are for drinking.

Cost-per-wear is key with clothes. In addition, I think that comfort and function are important. I've had issues with joints, and bad shoes will cause me misery in the knees and hips. So yes, I spent $80 on a pair of sandals, but they are incredibly comfortable and I bought them in 2009. I also splurged and spent nearly $200 on a more formal pair of slides in 2010, but I wear them to work every day that it is too warm for boots, and to formal occasions since they are the only "nice" pair that I have ever owned that did not hurt. If I want to save money, I'll go to the factory outlet instead of buying poorly constructed crap.

The slides: http://www.onlineshoes.com/womens-naot- ... p_id174338

The sandals: http://www.naot.com/cgi-bin/show_produc ... =4906&cat=

There are times when it's definitely worth spending more money for lasting, quality items.

I practically live in my Doc Martens. They cost ~£100 when I got them 2.5 years ago, but the soles are only just starting to wear down and I wear them almost every day unless it's snowing or over 20C (and as this is Scotland, both are rare occurrences). They're also incredibly comfortable, which IMO is important in shoes, especially if I'm doing much walking in them.

Sure, sometimes you simply don't have the cash to pay for something and you need it NOW, but that doesn't make the cheaper shoes more cost-effective long-term or an overall better option, they're just what's best at that moment in time.

There are times when it's definitely worth spending more money for lasting, quality items.

I practically live in my Doc Martens. They cost ~£100 when I got them 2.5 years ago, but the soles are only just starting to wear down and I wear them almost every day unless it's snowing or over 20C (and as this is Scotland, both are rare occurrences). They're also incredibly comfortable, which IMO is important in shoes, especially if I'm doing much walking in them.

Sure, sometimes you simply don't have the cash to pay for something and you need it NOW, but that doesn't make the cheaper shoes more cost-effective long-term or an overall better option, they're just what's best at that moment in time.

Yes! I bought walking shoes 4 years ago, still in perfect conditions. Cost me 110$. Bought snow shoes 3 years ago 120$ still perfect conditions. They lived 2 Canadian winters which is usually the life expectancy of regular shoes. My sandals Dr Scholl, 85$ still wearing them after 4 years.

On the other hand that, a pair of mocassins and a pair of strappy sandals, are mostly the only shoes I own. Which my roommate think I'm crazy, but honestly I don't see the point of buying dozens of cheap pairs of shoes

Totally. Shoes that will last, are comfortable and fit properly are not found in places that sell shoes for less than $20. I need proper arch support and also have unusually narrow feet, so even most ballet pumps and Converse are no-nos. DMs are great :)

I agree about the shoes too. I used to have a lot of cheap crappy shoes and now I only buy expensive ones wear them to death. Same with my purse.

We have a well so washing family clothes would be too wasteful water-wise for us. I would love to have a bidet though!

They can do whatever they want, but honestly? You can get a pretty decent-sized pack of toilet paper for a dollar at the dollar store!

Toilet paper is one of my particular crazy areas, though. I keep a roll in my car! :lol:

Yeah, when I lived at university I would I go to the dollar store and pick up a pack of four rolls for a dollar, and it was pretty decent toilet roll, too.

I can understand using newspaper or catalogs, because before my grandparents got a toilet installed in their summer home, we had to use the outhouse- no toilet roll there, but there was plenty of newspaper. But cloths? Ick. Cloth diapers kind of gross me out, too, though, so maybe I'm not the best person to talk about that.

Anybody remember the TV show a couple years back that talked about saving money? there was a man who reused paper towels, separated the two ply toilet paper into two rolls, made rounds of local restaurants for food they were gonna throw out...

I've got no problem with family cloth. I think that's a name that is misunderstood. One family I know who does it dyed all the cloths different colors for each family member so they don't even share. They get washed together, but they're not using the same ones.

It's really no different than cloth-diapering and using cloth wipes (which we did), or using cloth menstrual pads (which I bought a bunch of, but them we moved and din't have a washer anymore, which ended cloth everything). If you've got access to a washer with a hot setting, and wash daily, then it's not unsanitary. While family cloth might not save much (though for diapers, the savings was tremendous, and it's also cheaper to use use cloth menstrual pads), there are other benefits, such as environmental benefits, especially if you use an environment-friendly soap, and it's less likely to make your skin raw if you're sensitive, and fewer trees are being chopped down, and if you have a septic system, not all toilet papers in stores break down well, and some septic-safe toilet papers can be expensive. $5 for a pack of 4 rolls for RV-septic-okay toilet paper (and some RVs have mini washing machines).

The list of things I would give up so I could afford tp would be epic. Honestly, it's not a luxury, it's a nessescity!

Seriously. One way to determine whether stuff is luxuries or necessities is to ask yourself if American prisoners get it. (Doesn't work 100% of the time but often does.) American prisoners get toilet paper, and one reason for this is that it is a matter of public health. Even if prisoners could be employed in laundering toilet paper cloths, they wouldn't be used because that method is not necessarily sanitary on a huge scale. And, more to the point, toilet paper is basic.

Time=money is a concept that fundies totally don't understand. But I guess time isn't money if you don't have a job, which these SAHMs don't. And even their husbands often have minimum-wage jobs that pay less than the cost of buying convenience in many cases. So, I guess these "solutions" make some degree of sense for them.

Can i just say, I don't spend any money on babies. Those suckers are expensive. It's true, I've been a nanny for many years, and i love babies, buy they cost a shit ton. Even considering how much I would spend on birth control and all of the abortions I would totally have since I'm a terrible birth control using heathen, I would still spend significantly less then all those pro constant birth mamas out there.

Archived