IGNORED

Fundie Sighting

InkyGirl

Not overly exciting, I just wanted an excuse to post on the new board!

Fundie sighting at wal mart!

Two young girls and a young boy.

Girls in full on cape dresses and flip flops.

Hair down to their butts.

Why do the insist on making little boys wear belts?

I :romance-heart: this new board!

I don't know, but I had the experience of entering Walmart the other day horrible conscious that I might be a fundy sighting posted on this board. I pulled up in my giant van (yes I drive a giant van but the at risk teens I work with love it). My own five kids got out of the car along with four friends we had over for the day. So I had kids ages 11, 10, 9, 8, 5, 3, 2, 1 and an infant all with me. Add to that that all the girls happened choose that day to where sundresses. I myself was reduced to a denim skirt (being in the process of a move and WAY behind on laundry. The skirt was 10 years old and hideous and I've hated it since I got it, but it was that or very dirty grimy shorts) and a button down blouse in pink no less. For aminute I wanted to crypersecution like our fundy friends as everyone stopped me to ask if all those kids were mine, did I run a daycare, etc... In the end I consoled myself by pretending I was a fundy and buying some sugary crap "food." Aside from the Walmart trip (which was only wretched because I was afraid I'd end up on people of Walmart or worse here) we had a blast running through sprinklers, bike riding and jumping on the tramp. but I kind of wished I had a SAHD to help me out. After that day I totally understand where the whole SAHD phenomenon got its impeteous. I was exhausted by the time everyone went home, and I'd only had them all for about four hours.

• 1 month later...

I had a fundie sighting today, too!

And a highly unusual one, as they are not that common in Germany.

Went into a toy store and noticed an older teenage girl first, in a long, dark blue denim skirt, matching t-shirt (but she wasn't frumpy, the clothes accentuated her natural body shape lovely) and her hair was baided in a simple style.

I said to my friend: "Hey look at that girl, she looks really like a fundie christian!" He is already aware of my obsession. ;)

Continued walking around the tore and then I saw the mother, I was like: JACKPOT!

Denim skirt, shirt, both baggy, long hair and braid as her daughter and a grey headcovering (albeit a symbolic one, didn't cover all her hair). The two sons and the husband looked normal in shirts and jeans.

This is absolutely crazy, but it sure made my day!

I had a fundie sighting today, too!

And a highly unusual one, as they are not that common in Germany.

Went into a toy store and noticed an older teenage girl first, in a long, dark blue denim skirt, matching t-shirt (but she wasn't frumpy, the clothes accentuated her natural body shape lovely) and her hair was baided in a simple style.

I said to my friend: "Hey look at that girl, she looks really like a fundie christian!" He is already aware of my obsession. ;)

Continued walking around the tore and then I saw the mother, I was like: JACKPOT!

Denim skirt, shirt, both baggy, long hair and braid as her daughter and a grey headcovering (albeit a symbolic one, didn't cover all her hair). The two sons and the husband looked normal in shirts and jeans.

This is absolutely crazy, but it sure made my day!

Hello, Cran! I have a related story to add to your story. As I was taking the train out to Munich Airport I noticed a statue of Jesus in a farm's field along the tracks. Maybe this is the land of your fundie family! :lol:

Hello, Cran! I have a related story to add to your story. As I was taking the train out to Munich Airport I noticed a statue of Jesus in a farm's field along the tracks. Maybe this is the land of your fundie family! :lol:

Only if we're talking catholic fundies! Around Munich, it's kind of a state religion to be catholic. :lol:

And in the custom of folk religion, many statues/crosses of Jesus (and/or Mary) are erected in the fields. IDOLATRY! as some would scream.

This is a typical one:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/46223867

Only if we're talking catholic fundies! Around Munich, it's kind of a state religion to be catholic. :lol:

And in the custom of folk religion, many statues/crosses of Jesus (and/or Mary) are erected in the fields. IDOLATRY! as some would scream.

This is a typical one:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/46223867

Hehe. Coming from a small Dorf east of Munich, near Popeland, :oops: :shhh: I do know well what you mean. But this was no ordinary shrine to the Holy Mother, but in the style of Jesus in Rio, like this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UPwa2C1F9Mg/R ... leswig.jpg

Popeland... oh yes... can't wait to have him visit. Not.

That statue is new indeed, perhaps you're being infiltrated by, gasp, Protestants!

I saw 2 full on dressed up Robe & Habit wearing Nuns today @ Walmart. Not as exciting as real fundies in the wild, but its not often these days you see them in full garb, they usually wear suits/dresses these days.

That makes 2 in a row for me, remember last time @ Walmart I found the tract in the shampoo isle.

We got back last night from 9 days in St. Pete's beach Florida on the gulf of mexico....nothing too exciting down there except for "Jesus saves - repent now or burn in hell" written on the side of a semi trailer

When I was studying in Jerusalem, I saw a fundie group on the outskirts of the Old City. The guys wore jeans, t-shirts, and cowboy-ish hats. The women wore ankle-length skirts, t-shirts, and head coverings that were cloth sheets folded over and held in place by barrettes. I had gotten pretty good at identifying people's religious and ethnic affiliation by their head-covering, and they still surprised me because they were clearly not local and not Jewish or Muslim.

Fundie sighting in the subway today, which is pretty rare, I didn't even think there were fundies where I live. It was a mother and daughter. The kid was wearing a long-sleeved, Easter-egg colored sweater (upper part pink, middle yellow, lower part blue.. very 80's) a huge fake flower in her super long hair, long denim skirt, white thights, and turquoise Crocs. The mom had a long dark denim skirt, a lavender turtleneck, dark thights, and sneakers. Her hair was shoulder-lenght with very thick bangs, so maybe it was a wig and they were Jewish.

I saw a dress- and cap-wearing Mennonite woman walking into Target today. Her dress was tiny red gingham check and very neat. We walked in behind her and I all I could think of was how nicely her dress matched the Target entrance. :)

I'm from a city that is one of the larger cities close to huge amounts of Amish enclaves. I have gotten so used to seeing Amish/Mennonites, I don't even think about it anymore. I always forget to think of them as fundie sightings. Somehow, I have two separate like "files" in my head -- The fundies we watch on this board and their ilk are so totally separate from Amish/Mennonite in my mind. I'm not saying Amish aren't fundies because they clearly are -- I just don't think of them that way for some reason. Plus I see them so much, it barely registers at this point. They are always around using the local hospitals.

• 2 months later...

Just came back from a week-end in Niagara Falls (Canadian side) and saw what was most likely a group of Mennonites. First on the promenade close to the falls, and then in the "Yellow bug" elevator of the Skylon Tower. We took a picture of them from the other side of the street, do you think I would be allowed to post it here? One girl quickly turned around, but I could blur her face or shrink the picture.

Archived