IGNORED

Fundy Catholics forfeit state sports title because...

Kitten

the other team has a girl playing second base.

http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bes ... e.cnn.html

The announcer is a hoot - she points out that the Catholic team had already lost twice to this team (games in which the girl sat out in respect of the other team's attitude), so maybe their forfeit wasn't so much about the girl as just looking for any excuse not to actually lose again. :lol:

I hope this does not cause problems for the girl making the team next year.

.... what?

I would like to apologize on behalf of all of us non-insane Catholics. STOP MAKING MY PEOPLE LOOK CRAZY.

Doubt it will cause her any problems - 1) she made the team and played all season, so she's already a valuable player, not just a benchwarmer, and 2) if other schools want to forfeit games instead of playing against a girl, that only helps her school.

One of my kids went to a very small school where they didn't have enough boys interested in baseball to make up a team, so they had several girl players. One of them was the MVP one year, and another was the captain (voted on by the team) the following year.

Hey, Mela, FWIW, they were described as "fundamentalist" Catholics, so at least you can say "Oh, THOSE people?" :lol:

Before I clicked on the link I would have guessed that the school was in St. Marys, Kansas which is being taken over by St. Pius X adherents.

Good old SSPX. ::sigh::

.... what?

I would like to apologize on behalf of all of us non-insane Catholics. STOP MAKING MY PEOPLE LOOK CRAZY.

I too apologize for this apparently crazy people who clearly have been drinking a little too much communion wine.... not call Catholics are like these folks. I promise.

I too apologize for this apparently crazy people who clearly have been drinking a little too much communion wine.... not call Catholics are like these folks. I promise.

Mela & Divadivine, Don't apologise. We all love you and we all know that there are some really great Catholics. :romance-heartsthree:

My family includes fundies who call themselves Presbyterians, fundies who call themselves Anglican and fundies who call themselves Orthodox. All various levels of crazy but I will not apologise for any of them as they are not my fault.

I think the important thing is they actually called it a 'Fundamental Catholic school' rather than just saying Catholic school. I think most people are aware when you add fundamental to anything involving religion you are no longer dealing with sane people.

As a Catholic female who played baseball in a boys league for five years, I would also like to apologize for these idiots.

The school's statement was something like "we teach our boys to treat women with the utmost respect." Right. Because forcing women and girls into the box o' proper behaviors you've created is totally respectful.

At least they just remove themselves from the game, though, instead of demanding that the league change the rules to fit their beliefs. If you don't like the rules, don't play. Simple!

Archived