IGNORED

Ashley Judd with some killer comments about patriarchy

PBrooke

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... rance.html

That women are joining in the ongoing disassembling of my appearance is salient. Patriarchy is not men. Patriarchy is a system in which both women and men participate. It privileges, inter alia, the interests of boys and men over the bodily integrity, autonomy, and dignity of girls and women. It is subtle, insidious, and never more dangerous than when women passionately deny that they themselves are engaging in it. This abnormal obsession with women’s faces and bodies has become so normal that we (I include myself at times—I absolutely fall for it still) have internalized patriarchy almost seamlessly. We are unable at times to identify ourselves as our own denigrating abusers, or as abusing other girls and women.

Good for her, using her celebrity to call everyone on the media on this BS.

She's not just calling the media out on the issue of patriarchy, she's trying to show how insidious and dangerous it is because it is the norm in all areas of life.

Brave of her. Loved her as Lefler with all her laws. Hopefully people will read this and think and not just pass it by.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Ashley Judd's a lot smarter, I mean A LOT smarter, than most people give her credit for. I've seen her in interviews and often flusters the host b/c she's so smart they don't know what to do with her.

[usually when you think of intelligent celebrity, your brain goes to Natalie Portman. Because she graduated from Harvard! But doesn't make a huge deal out of it at all! Oh no! Not her!]

She's not just calling the media out on the issue of patriarchy, she's trying to show how insidious and dangerous it is because it is the norm in all areas of life.

Un, yeah, that's what I meant?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Ashley Judd's a lot smarter, I mean A LOT smarter, than most people give her credit for. I've seen her in interviews and often flusters the host b/c she's so smart they don't know what to do with her.

[usually when you think of intelligent celebrity, your brain goes to Natalie Portman. Because she graduated from Harvard! But doesn't make a huge deal out of it at all! Oh no! Not her!]

And before her, it was Jodi Foster and Yale. :)

Aaaaaaaaaaand the usual minority of douchenozzles chime in in the "Comments" section. Note to self: Stop reading the damn comments.

That women are joining in the ongoing disassembling of my appearance is salient. Patriarchy is not men. Patriarchy is a system in which both women and men participate. It privileges, inter alia, the interests of boys and men over the bodily integrity, autonomy, and dignity of girls and women. It is subtle, insidious, and never more dangerous than when women passionately deny that they themselves are engaging in it. This abnormal obsession with women’s faces and bodies has become so normal that we (I include myself at times—I absolutely fall for it still) have internalized patriarchy almost seamlessly. We are unable at times to identify ourselves as our own denigrating abusers, or as abusing other girls and women.

Hadn't heard about her until today, but I think I'm in love.

The wording strikes me as a teensy bit pretentious, but I think the point is very important. I have great admiration for stars who use their fame and money to try to better the world.

I agree Ashely is very intelligent.

Hadn't heard about her until today, but I think I'm in love.

Ashley Judd is the daughter of Naomi Judd. Naomi and Ashley's sister Wynnona were a popular country duo in the 1980's.

I'm reading her auto-biography now and she says that she got into a very fundamentalist part of Christianity for a while in college.

Un, yeah, that's what I meant?

I couldn't tell that from what you posted. You specified media.

The wording strikes me as a teensy bit pretentious, but I think the point is very important. I have great admiration for stars who use their fame and money to try to better the world.

Ditto. She tends to speak this way in most interviews but it DOES tend to come across as pretentious. And to be honest... I don't even know that you could blame patriarchy for the recent attacks on her. I think most men wouldn't have even noticed what the media was commenting on and would think she looked beautiful. I think it was just women being bitchy. People like Joy Behar commenting on pregnant people being fat have more to do w/ what Ashley is referring to. Does this REALLY stem from patriarchy? I don't know...

Archived