IGNORED

Satan Causes Low Self Esteem?

slh12280

Today I was talking to my mother about not being comfortable with dating and the whole fear of rejection blah blah blah stuff. I was not feeling so keen on myself today and was not in a good mood. Her response was basically: "you need to rebuke satan, because satan puts thoughts in your mind and makes you feel bad about yourself!" I am a Christian but something about this doesn't seem right to me and of course did not help me at all and did make me kind of angry. What say you freejingerites?

So I guess it's Satan that punishes little girls who have been raped with low self esteem too? Is it Satan that makes victims of natural disasters who lose their homes (in tornadoes, tsunamis, etc) cry too? No... sadness and negative feelings are a normal part of the human body. If no one felt them, we would all be living in a utopia. A utopia is what Heaven is. There is not a Heaven on earth. Denying your normal human feelings and trying to fake happiness is not only lieing but also your attempt to create a Heaven on earth which God has never wanted.

Low self esteem seems to be what fundies want, strangely enough (at least in womenfolk) :roll:

I agree with luv2laugh.

I really have nothing to add to this topic except to say that I keep reading the title as 'Santa Clause Low Self Esteem?' :lol:

I really have nothing to add to this topic except to say that I keep reading the title as 'Santa Clause Low Self Esteem?' :lol:

That's how I read it too!

I've heard that not only does Satan cause low self-esteem, those who suffer from low self-esteem are apparently possessed! It's something said by overly-religious abusers to those afflicted by anxiety and the like.

So did I!

My explanation based on growing up fundie is this: Satan is known as the accuser of the brethren (Revelation 12:10). Satan reminding us of past wrong leads us to feel bad about ourselves which leads to low self esteem. My best guess is that is where your mom got the "Satan causes low self esteen" though I don't really see how that would be applicable in the example you gave as you weren't feeling bad about something that you had done. ??

As much as I love my own mother, and strive to be a good mother to my daughter, I have to say I really think that mothers cause low self esteem more frequently than Satan does.

As much as I love my own mother, and strive to be a good mother to my daughter, I have to say I really think that mothers cause low self esteem more frequently than Satan does.

Oh, hells yes! And I'm trying sooooo hard not to perpetuate this with my own daughter, but it is incredibly challenging.

Oh god I think my head just exploded, seriously. I think Jesus is the reason for my low self esteem issues...at least all those things done to me in his name.

Low self esteem seems to be what fundies want, strangely enough (at least in womenfolk) :roll:

I agree with luv2laugh.

I think it's more like, they would think that this crazy idea that low self-esteem is a problem is because of Satan. Without Satan's influence, women would be just a-ok with their low self-esteem.

I say that Satan must have tried to kill me when I was ten. BAD SATAN! (PearlSwitches)

Archived