IGNORED

Courtship story through pictures

makepeace

I keep coming back to this. Aside from some neonazi's I can't imagine folks thinking that this could be a game.

I'm also putting them on my list of people I should visit if I ever get diagnosed with a terminal illness.

Edited to add: I think this is the most aberrant thing I've ever heard of fundies doing.

Are the Danish in Germany typically neonazis? I found a news article abotu parents being outraged that their kids were taught play this game and a scout camp in Germany. Heres the article- http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-202_162-537725.html

Maybe the game is more common than we think?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are the Danish in Germany typically neonazis? I found a news article abotu parents being outraged that their kids were taught play this game and a scout camp in Germany. Heres the article- http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-202_162-537725.html

I saw a post earlier that the game is also known as "Apples," so it is probably more common than we think.

Calling it "Germans/Nazis and Jews" is going too far, I think. And setting up a fake concentration camp... :shock:

Meanwhile, a married fundi couple had 3 kids in the time it took M + B to look at each other in full daylight without sunglasses.

Slightly off topic, but apparently the oldest Grady, Abby (who someone said is 24?) has FOUR CHILDREN. That's getting to Morton level fertility.

Random:

B: What method does M3 use to cool off ‘hot girls.’ (He puts ice down their back)

haaaa! I'm pretty sure he shouldn't be anywhere near any hot girls.

What the...just realised I don't know whether outright swearing is acceptable on the board. Just insert all the profanity symbols here.

I'm pretty fucking sure that profanity is allowed.

3. Betsy sure is pretty. her hair!

4. This sounds more like a birthday party for a nine-year-old than an engagement party for adults.

They aren't. There are neonazis in Denmark (very few, most of the righ-wing, nationalist people here are against ebil Muslims) and I think, from the article, the scouting leader who organised the game might be one? Or he's just an arsehole who didn't pay attention in school. There's a huge emphasis on the holocaust in Danish education (from my own experience) and nobody I know would think something like that was ok. And we all went through the same. If they're part of the Danish minority in Germany, they would go through that too because I think they follow the Danish curriculum with a large emphasis on German history etc.

Do fundies ever read The Diary of Anne Frank, or do they avoid it since she talks about menstruation and other taboo topics?

The Germans and Jews game is so gross. If they want to play a good guy/bad guy game why not just play cops and robbers and ditch the fake concentration camp?

Betsy is very pretty though.

I'm pretty fucking sure that profanity is allowed.

Thanks a fucking lot for telling me. :D

The more I think about it, the more I find it very creepy and odd that these kids *and grownups* are playing this game. Is Corrie ten Boom THAT influential that she spawns a game based on one of the most horrific episodes in the civilised world? And, um, would she approve of it herself?

If you just want to be un-PC, call it cowboys and Indians! /back in my day

I'm fucking speachless just fucking speachless.

Me too. Is this supposed to be just highly insensitive education, or an actual "fun" activity?

Its likely that the last of the survivors will be gone during my lifetime. I grew up seeing people with numbers on their arms, went to shul with them later in life. Ya know when some of us look at the pictures of the camps post liberation, or archival photos, we actually wonder if that was a relative or family member.

Calling a game Germans and Jews isn't PC, but it definitely helps the kids relate to the story. Calling the station wagon a "boxcar"? Kids learn by playing. If they don't play about what they heard in the Corrie ten Boom biography, then they'll forget it.

I've got a suggestion, take them to your local temple for holocaust memorial day if you are fearful that they will forget shoah. Go online and listen to the stories of survivors. Take them to a holocaust museum. But for christsfuckingsakes don't turn the sadistic murder of millions into a game.

I'm fucking speachless just fucking speachless.

Me too. It's just ignorant bullshit.

And the "engagement party" looks like something I would put together for a 6 year olds birthday party. Balloons- CHECK! Scavenger hunt- CHECK. Dress up- CHECK. It's a thousand damn wonders they didn't have a pinata. :roll:

This is what fundies do. They arrest the development of their children to the point that it's just fucking ridiculous. :evil:

Germans vs. Jews? My brain just exploded twice in less than 5 minutes on FJ.

I'm so appalled I'm having trouble typing. I read Corrie ten Boom's books when I was a young teen. I even saw her once at a Billy Graham crusade (my best friend was a Southern Baptist and invited me because she knew I'd read ten Boom's book and admired her). Nothing she wrote or said ever made me want to re-enact Jewish round-ups and transports to the concentration camps. :shock: I can't....I just...I mean, WHAT??

Its likely that the last of the survivors will be gone during my lifetime. I grew up seeing people with numbers on their arms, went to shul with them later in life. Ya know when some of us look at the pictures of the camps post liberation, or archival photos, we actually wonder if that was a relative or family member.

I've got a suggestion, take them to your local temple for holocaust memorial day if you are fearful that they will forget shoah. Go online and listen to the stories of survivors. Take them to a holocaust museum. But for christsfuckingsakes don't turn the sadistic murder of millions into a game.

Exactly. I've seen dramatization used for educational purposes, but that's a bit different than a game that trivializes things. A station wagon is not a boxcar to a death camp. The only way that you could convey it accurately would be to lock people up without food or water in a crowded space, which would obviously be too extreme.

Exactly. I've seen dramatization used for educational purposes, but that's a bit different than a game that trivializes things. A station wagon is not a boxcar to a death camp. The only way that you could convey it accurately would be to lock people up without food or water in a crowded space, which would obviously be too extreme.

I never read Corrie ten Boom's books, but I can't imagine me and my friends/siblings playing a game like that when we were kids - even then we knew such subjects were deadly serious. Still, even stretching my imagination to picture how some kids might have done that, why didn't the adults nip that in the bud right away with a serious talk - instead of blogging about it?

I agrée that it's completely inappropriate and distasteful for adults to introduce this sort of game, but play is how children process things - adults talk about things, children play about them. A child who goes through a traumatic incident will play through it over and over again - if they don't, they might well be encouraged to do so in therapy. It depends on how the game is played but I don't think children should be stopped from re-enacting certain things because they are too awful, we wouldn't stop adults from talking about terrible events (and in fact if we do, it can cause long term damage). What makes me feel uncomfortable here is the way it is casually mentionned, repeatedly, in the blog, as if they are somehow saying 'look aren't they cute, playing like this'. It can be very uncomfortable for adults watching children re-enact horrific events but the children themselves are not trivialising it, they are processing it in the best way they know.

I agrée that it's completely inappropriate and distasteful for adults to introduce this sort of game, but play is how children process things - adults talk about things, children play about them. A child who goes through a traumatic incident will play through it over and over again - if they don't, they might well be encouraged to do so in therapy. It depends on how the game is played but I don't think children should be stopped from re-enacting certain things because they are too awful, we wouldn't stop adults from talking about terrible events (and in fact if we do, it can cause long term damage). What makes me feel uncomfortable here is the way it is casually mentionned, repeatedly, in the blog, as if they are somehow saying 'look aren't they cute, playing like this'. It can be very uncomfortable for adults watching children re-enact horrific events but the children themselves are not trivialising it, they are processing it in the best way they know.

Its a big parental fail. Parents who are responsible would not permit this game from continuing. They should have never encouraged the game. Whats next, Pol Pot in the killing fields, after all it does teach history?

I never read Corrie ten Boom's books, but I can't imagine me and my friends/siblings playing a game like that when we were kids - even then we knew such subjects were deadly serious. Still, even stretching my imagination to picture how some kids might have done that, why didn't the adults nip that in the bud right away with a serious talk - instead of blogging about it?

Exactly fucking this. I'm not going to get on the kids too much about playing that "game" - kids read books and then want to reenact what they read. But, that is where the parents should have stepped in, i.e "I'm glad you read a book about a historical event, but it isn't appropriate to turn it into a game." The responsibility lies with the parents to make sure their kids are learning about history, but not exploiting tragedies by making them into a "game".

Exactly fucking this. I'm not going to get on the kids too much about playing that "game" - kids read books and then want to reenact what they read. But, that is where the parents should have stepped in, i.e "I'm glad you read a book about a historical event, but it isn't appropriate to turn it into a game." The responsibility lies with the parents to make sure their kids are learning about history, but not exploiting tragedies by making them into a "game".

I reread the whole blog post.

This wasn't about children spontaneously using play therapy to deal with trauma. It says:

"While we cleaned up the kitchen, the little people begged for a round of Jews and Germans. The young men were glad to accomodate. Once the Jews were captured, they were taken down the hill and deposited in a boxcar a.k.a.our van. Very convenient...we took God's chosen people and headed for home."

The family is clearly encouraging this.

There is a HUGE difference between a traumatic event that someone went through personally, and one from history. None of those children were in the Holocaust, so your argument doesn't hold any water.

The post is gone again... it was there this morning. I am guessing they got a bunch of negative comments. These people have a few screws loose.

Sorry, off topic, but these people are effing nutso- see quote from the Roller Skating post on March 31.....

The Stangls always bring family friendly music to skate by since the Skate Daze music is usually less pleasant. Classical and march music is very invigorating.

Yes, because skating to classical music is at the top of my list. Maybe if I was training for the Olympics in, let's say Ice Skating.... just skate without music for the love of Benji! Instead of making stupid comments about secular music. Stupid asses!

Small plays out traumatic events which happened to her and it breaks my heart to watch it.

This is a bit different I think though. I would have no problem with the kids playing the game. But why are the parents making it seem like a lighthearted bit of fun? That is what rings weirdly. And are they so culturally tone deaf they can't notice how badly it sounds?

Thanks JFC for your response, I agree the parent's response is weird weird weird and completely socially odd - however I still maintain that playing is the way that children process events, whether they happen to them or whether they hear about them, and that playing is not about trivialising events. If I told youngish children about the killing fields of Pol Pot or about the holocaust, I would expect them to play about it afterwards and I would not stop them from doing so. Adults talk, children play. And hearing about something like the holocaust for the first time (and later times) can be something that needs processing - I know when I hear about something horrific I want to talk about it, doesn't matter that it didn't happen to me.

None of this says that what is going on in ths blog is healthy or normal, it sounds completely screwed up and inappropriate. The point I'm trying to make is just that a child playing about an event does not meant they are trivialising what happened anymore than am adult talking about something does. And I may be weird but if I took my children to the holocaust museum or an exhibition about genocide I would probably be encouraging them to play about it afterwards, to help them explore their feelings about it and to help me see what their thoughts had been about it.

Sorry, off topic, but these people are effing nutso- see quote from the Roller Skating post on March 31.....

The Stangls always bring family friendly music to skate by since the Skate Daze music is usually less pleasant. Classical and march music is very invigorating.

Yes, because skating to classical music is at the top of my list. Maybe if I was training for the Olympics in, let's say Ice Skating.... just skate without music for the love of Benji! Instead of making stupid comments about secular music. Stupid asses!

Lol. That reminds me of a homeschool weekly roller skating session at the local rink which I used to attend. One family brought their own music- yes all classical and marching music!- because the regular songs they played there were too worldly for them. Most of what they brought was too slow to properly skate to too.

Archived