IGNORED

Frothy thinks this really? really?

doggie

He really wants this? I could not tell by the way he talks. But what are these natural laws that he wants? survival of the fittest? kill the accused? feed the poor to the wolves feed anyone not like him to the wolves? Where are his examples of there natural laws? So far we have only seen pseudo religious stuff not even backed by his church he does not follow. Ok frothy lets see you act according to your words.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/3 ... 92236.html

"He defined natural law as that "which can be known through the exercise of reason against which the positive or civil law must be measured and if needed amended."

And he called for more vigorous public debates over which moral vision -- essentially whose definition of what the "natural law" is -- should shape the direction of government policy.

"Obviously, not everyone shares the Judeo-Christian moral convictions," he wrote. "All of us have an obligation to justify our positions based upon something that is accessible to everyone irrespective of their religious beliefs. We owe the public arguments based upon reason grounded in truth."

That's really a bullshit answer. All he just did was define 'natural law' to mean what ever he feels it should mean.

Let me translate for your:

"that which can be known through the exercise of reason against which the positive or civil law must be measured and if needed amended."

Translation:

Everything i believe is natural law, things that go against what I believe are unnatural law. For that reason we should determine the validity of the laws based on whether or not I agree with them.

This is the Enlightenment definition of natural law. I'm actually pretty sure he copied that somewhere... I hate natural law theorists, so I could not tell you who said that verbatim, but yeah, definitely nothing original there.

My ex was a big proponent of "natural law," which, for him, meant he could do whatever the hell he wanted and file it under the leading of his conscience. This is actually a theological way of approaching law, or conscience, that manages to be extremely fuzzy and is still touted by some semi-mainstream theologians, especially in Catholic circles.

Archived