IGNORED

Dawkins Will Be At Fort Bragg This Saturday

debrand

The radio commercial for this was funny. It said "Please be aware, no babies will be eaten, no churches will be burnt."

I had not idea that Fox news tried to get this canceled. Because the article deals with religions reaction to the event, I included it on the Quiver of Snark.

For anyone who will be near Fort Bragg on the 31rst, it is a free event.

FORT BRAGG, NC – Commanders at Fort Bragg have made peace with organizers of the looming atheist festival they approved late last year. Colonel Stephen Sicinski - Bragg’s Garrison Commander - has now issued an official statement that specifically protects speech critical of religion.

Colonel Sicinski explains, “I want to assure you that Fort Bragg will not discriminate against speech on the basis of its viewpoint. Stated another way, I understand and respect that there will be ample discussion about atheism and/or humanism during the festival and that the speakers may criticize organized religion or its practitioners.â€

Colonel Sicinski’s statement was prompted by controversy generated by a Fox News story about some lyrics from a rock band on the festival’s lineup. The article suggested that the rock band Aiden’s song ‘Hysteria’ was encouraging attendees to burn down churches. Lead singer of Aiden, William Control, emphatically stated that his lyrics were taken out of context. He was referring to his disapproval of religious fanatics burning books and buildings of rival religious groups.

Justin Griffith said “The Fox News hatchet-job sort of backfired. They prompted death threats from extremist Christians displaying exactly the type of behavior that Aiden sings about. Colonel Sicinski’s written promise to protect statements critical of religion proves that he really does support us.†Griffith is the primary event organizer and Military Director for American Atheists.

Festival headliner Richard Dawkins will be joined by several prominent musicians and speakers. Fort Bragg expects around 5,000 soldiers and civilians will attend the free all-day event called ‘Rock Beyond Belief’ on Saturday, March 31st.

The event was inspired by a controversial evangelical Christian effort targeting non-Christians for conversion. Prior to the initial evangelical effort, many organizations demanded its cancellation. Rather than cancelling, Fort Bragg commanders issued a promise to provide an equal level of support any other group. The lineup of the secular festival will feature the presidents of three of these groups. Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF’s Dan Barker), and the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF’s Mikey Weinstein) and American Atheists’ David Silverman will each be speaking.

Justin Griffith said “If evangelical Christians have a problem with criticism of their religion, they need to stop inviting the conversation. Colonel Sicinski made the right call, and we appreciate his statement. Foxhole atheists are fighting for your rights, please return the favor by standing with us at Fort Bragg on March 31st.â€

Rock Beyond Belief is an American Atheists event. It was made possible by a $50,000 donation from the Steifel Freethought Foundation. For more information on the event, check the festival’s website

I remember hearing about this festival several months back. There were some controversies about it and Pat Tillman's family were some of the supporters.

Fort Bragg isn't too far from where I am, so I'm going to Rock Beyond Belief with some other SSA members.

As for Faux News trying to get Rock Beyond Belief cancelled... fuck them. "Fair and Balanced" my ass.

when are we going to see Christians screaming persecution over this? of course if they do the same thing and preach hate it is perfectly ok as long as you are doing it in Jesus's name.

Atheists are one of least trusted group in America. Wasn't there a gallup poll that showed Americans would rather vote for a Muslim president than an atheist one? I think that's telling given the current anti-Muslim sentiment.

People tend to believe someone who is atheist have no morals. In China, most people do not follow a prescribed religious organization. Morals are derived from Confucius philosophy, not from a religious belief. I realized, from a young age, that morality can be independent of religion. I often wonder how such a deeply religious country would feel so threatened by nonbelievers.

Atheists are one of least trusted group in America. Wasn't there a gallup poll that showed Americans would rather vote for a Muslim president than an atheist one? I think that's telling given the current anti-Muslim sentiment.

People tend to believe someone who is atheist have no morals. In China, most people do not follow a prescribed religious organization. Morals are derived from Confucius philosophy, not from a religious belief. I realized, from a young age, that morality can be independent of religion. I often wonder how such a deeply religious country would feel so threatened by nonbelievers.

sad part is that it usually is the other way around.

Archived