IGNORED

22 year old living in Uganda with 13 foster children

lilah

I think some people have posted about Kisses from Katie (http://kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com/ and warning, there's music on her blog) before, she's sort of the anti SAHD. She moved to Uganda after high school to missionary work. She was featured in an NPR peice about how she has 13 foster kids http://www.npr.org/2011/07/09/137348637/in-uganda-a

It's kind of an amazing story although I understand some of the criticisms of how she is breaking Ugandan law due to her being too young and having too many children in her household. I have to wonder if it's better to fund the orphanage so they can better care for the children or to fund Katie's ministry since she is providing an alternative the orphanage and even if the children are not being raised by Ugandans at least they are not leaving their home country or losing their original culture and language.

Ooh, there's a blog? I saw the NPR story this morning. Seems to me like she's different from some of the people we follow here in that she recognizes that the ideal situation would be for these kids to be raised in Uganda by Ugandans - I haven't read the blog but she didn't come across in that interview like she thinks of herself as a "great white hope" like some do, you know? Just as a person stepping in where she sees a need and doing what she can, even if other people think she's kinda nuts. And she seems to be going about things in an aboveboard manner.

I should clarify that this girl has never been snarked on by FJ, she's been used as an example of someone who is motivated by her faith to make positive changes in the world instead of spending all her time hiding from the world and blogging about how virtuous they are.

The only thing I could snark on her on is that her blog is hard to read and there is to much Jesus, but other than that what she is doing is wonderful...I can't imagine living like she does and getting up every day to do it all over again.

M.

I should clarify that this girl has never been snarked on by FJ, she's been used as an example of someone who is motivated by her faith to make positive changes in the world instead of spending all her time hiding from the world and blogging about how virtuous they are.

She's the anti-Jchelle. Not only that, she's the anti-Gothard, because one of the Gothardite beliefs is that adoption is a Bad Thing. Katie is doing a Good Thing here, a Very Good Thing. After all, isn't this what Jesus told his followers to be after?

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

(Matthew 25:35-36)

Some 22 year-olds are very mature and I don't have a problem with her having foster children, but I think 13 is too many for almost anyone. I do think that it's better to spend money to fund the orphanage and keep kids in their own environment, but at least she seems like a caring and sensitive parent, not someone who is rescuing puppies and expecting them to conform and instantly obey.

This is an amazing story and I have been following her blog. I could not do what she does. It must break her parents heart to have her so far.

I have been following her blog for a while and my understanding is that people and children just show up at her house for help. It's hard to tell a starving three year old that you are at your legal limit already, so I give her a pass on overcrowding.

Sorry if TMI: I usually cry when I read her blog and wish I could do something similar. Someday.

Some 22 year-olds are very mature and I don't have a problem with her having foster children, but I think 13 is too many for almost anyone. I do think that it's better to spend money to fund the orphanage and keep kids in their own environment, but at least she seems like a caring and sensitive parent, not someone who is rescuing puppies and expecting them to conform and instantly obey.

While I would typically agree that 13 is too many for one parent to foster, in this case, I think she's meeting a need that others can't or won't. Her non-profit is Amazima Ministries, and I'd much rather donate money to this organization instead of Compassion or MckMama's GHNC (Can't remember the letters!)

http://www.amazima.org/vocationalprojects.html

http://www.amazima.org/masese.html

I'm very impressed by what she's done in her young life.

I've seen this everywhere. I agree she's doing a wonderful thing. I just hope (and I've only briefly looked at her website) that the christianity she teaches is not the same type of extremist evangelical christian hatred currently popular in Uganda.

I don't think she is extreme at all; at least, not from what I have read in the blog. She is wrapping wounds and getting in the middle of the mess, which is a far cry from the Bible-thumping and judgment we see around here. I think her brand of Christianity will bring a lot of people to Jesus because she is walking the walk. In other words, evangelism WINNING. She can't be too extreme, because most fundies would not allow their daughters to leave their headship and live among the 'heathens' in cut-offs and a tank top.

I'm not a Christian, but if someone wants to become Christian because of a wonderful, giving Christian that they interact with, I can't argue with that.

Sorry if I am sounding like an apologist here; I just think she is doing a wonderful thing in a wonderful way with the purest motives imaginable.

I don't think she is extreme at all; at least, not from what I have read in the blog. She is wrapping wounds and getting in the middle of the mess, which is a far cry from the Bible-thumping and judgment we see around here. I think her brand of Christianity will bring a lot of people to Jesus because she is walking the walk. In other words, evangelism WINNING. She can't be too extreme, because most fundies would not allow their daughters to leave their headship and live among the 'heathens' in cut-offs and a tank top.

I'm not a Christian, but if someone wants to become Christian because of a wonderful, giving Christian that they interact with, I can't argue with that.

Sorry if I am sounding like an apologist here; I just think she is doing a wonderful thing in a wonderful way with the purest motives imaginable.

I don't think you sound like an apologist, but I do think you might have misinterpreted what I said a bit. If she's really doing this because she is called to do it by her higher power and doing it in a loving and graceful manner, more power to her. I just hope that she isn't associated with the really nasty, extremist, hatefilled christians currently using Uganda as a testing ground for their agenda. I'm hesitant to donate to ANY religious organization doing work in Uganda right now because of the extremist situation there.

I really hope she isn't associated with any of the badness, because I'd really like there to be a religious organization I felt comfortable sponsoring, knowing my money wasn't going towards helping others and delivering a dose of hatred.

• 4 years later...

The older sister of this woman's husband is a friend of mine from high school. From what little I know of him, he was well-liked in high school, and treated everyone kindly. The sister is a Christian, but open-minded friends with all kinds of people, (I'm a liberal lesbian expat, for example) and I doubt her brother's that different considering how close they are. He and Katie are expecting a biological child now according to my friend's Facebook.

Archived