IGNORED

fundi item Spotted at goodwill

DarkAnts

Today, I found this sign at goodwill. All I have to say is wow.... Since when is singing and dancing considered disrespect-able.

6783019980_698ea921fa.jpg

There's a lot of those old pub signs around. They don't strike me as particularly fundie, because I think the idea was to prevent drunken rowdiness and keep a level of decorum. Like, I don't think singing and dancing are not respectable, but I'd get pretty annoyed if the table next to me at Applebees burst out in song.

There's a lot of those old pub signs around. They don't strike me as particularly fundie, because I think the idea was to prevent drunken rowdiness and keep a level of decorum. Like, I don't think singing and dancing are not respectable, but I'd get pretty annoyed if the table next to me at Applebees burst out in song.

I dont think this was a pub sign. The sign clearly stated that it was referring to a house and not a business establishment. It was also laminated paper that was laminated and put into some kind of picture frame.

I dont think this was a pub sign. The sign clearly stated that it was referring to a house and not a business establishment. It was also laminated paper that was laminated and put into some kind of picture frame.

"Pub" is short for "Public House", meaning a place where the public comes to relax and have a few. This is different from a "house of ill repute", or brothel/bordello.

"Pub" is short for "Public House", meaning a place where the public comes to relax and have a few. This is different from a "house of ill repute", or brothel/bordello.

In my area, a pub is the same thing as a bar where people go to drink and play pool.

In my area, a pub is the same thing as a bar where people go to drink and play pool.

Yeah, relax and have a few. That's what a Public house aka pub is.

Today, I found this sign at goodwill. All I have to say is wow.... Since when is singing and dancing considered disrespect-able.

%7Boption%7D/img]

HA ! this is something my totally non fundie parents would have bought and put up just to be cheeky!

Yeah, house = public house = pub.

Did you ever watch Cheers? That bar had a similar sign on display that read "This is a Square House. Please report any un-fairness to the proprietor."

Clearly you have never been to Applebees on karaoke night when somebody does "Sweet Caroline" :P

Guest Anonymous

6783019980_698ea921fa.jpg

I've never seen one of those...maybe I need to go find one for my house. Oh wait..I do cuss, dance, but sing terribly.

What's this? Oh! It's Psalm 150!

1Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.

2Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.

3Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.

4Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

5Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.

6Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

Guest Anonymous
What's this? Oh! It's Psalm 150!

1Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.

2Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.

3Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.

4Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

5Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.

6Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

Which is why I have never understood the problem with music and dancing.

Which is why I have never understood the problem with music and dancing.

I went to a really conservative elementary school, where it was ok to dance and sing in chapel services, and sing to "benefit the Lord"

but, they didn't allow school dances, and if you wanted to have a wedding or any sort of function in the church they would allow absolutely no dancing, BUT they had a classical dance studio right upstairs...

That school ran my life for 5 miserable years.

I never heard that explanation. Its not something discussed in Utah where I grew up. There are many things not discussed there. They think its best to keep the population ignorant.

I am so happy to be away from that!

I never heard that explanation. Its not something discussed in Utah where I grew up. There are many things not discussed there. They think its best to keep the population ignorant.

I am so happy to be away from that!

It's actually something I came across randomly myself, so I don't blame you for not knowing. I learned "house of ill repute" from The Simpsons.

It's actually something I came across randomly myself, so I don't blame you for not knowing. I learned "house of ill repute" from The Simpsons.

And people still insist that you dont learn anything from watching them. :character-bart:

And people still insist that you dont learn anything from watching them. :character-bart:

I know! I've won trivial pursuit because I watch that show! It's all in how you watch. If you sit there stupidly staring at the TV, you aren't going to learn; if you pay attention to it and look stuff up, you can learn!

Yes it's one of those " cute" retro signs. In fact my son gave me a doormat with the exact same message on it for Christmas ( helps I think that they sell them at the fair trade/buddhist shop where he works.)

HA ! this is something my totally non fundie parents would have bought and put up just to be cheeky!

We have a similar one that says, "Warning: Poker Players and Loose Women Frequent this Establishment!"

I agree it is probably a joke retro type sign. A pub in my city still has the "ladies' entrance" sign over the side door--I think they just never bothered to remove it and now keep it for retro/nostalgia purposes. Though I don't think they still require women to use a separate entrance anymore! :)

Fascinating stuff: http://www.historytoday.com/madelon-pow ... -1890-1920

I agree it is probably a joke retro type sign. A pub in my city still has the "ladies' entrance" sign over the side door--I think they just never bothered to remove it and now keep it for retro/nostalgia purposes. Though I don't think they still require women to use a separate entrance anymore! :)

Fascinating stuff: http://www.historytoday.com/madelon-pow ... -1890-1920

A americanized Irish pub my husband and I like to go to has a "Hippies use side entrance" sign on their side entrance. :)

Not in my high school. I had at least two different teachers show The Simpsons in class because there are so many literary and other educational references in them.

Archived