IGNORED

New blog a/b a daughter leaving courtship/patriarchy

mrs

FJ is a snark place, so folks who escape/move beyond patriarchy don't much attract our attention, and that's understandable. Yet, I honor this woman.

FJ is a snark place, so folks who escape/move beyond patriarchy don't much attract our attention, and that's understandable. Yet, I honor this woman.

Razing Ruth gets a lot of attention. I think those who leave have much they can teach us plus they serve as hope for others.

I liked it. I agree she seems to have a good head on her shoulders and I love how she said she noticed the red flags at the time. Sometimes I wonder if the fundy girls ever have doubts even if they can't express them. Of course she didn't grow up in it which probably helped her. The courtship sounds beyond creepy, especially how the guy was staring at her across the church. Ew. I felt so bad when the other people dismissed her for being "afraid of boys". Um, creeper. Her dad also scared me. He seemed like he got really misled and she was so devoted to him, I couldn't think of marrying someone I pretty much hated because my dad wouldn't listen to me.

I found her story to be very interesting! I did also find it interesting on her last segment of her cult story, her mom left a comment basically apologizing for the ways she and the dad failed her while in the cult. I thought that was pretty awesome that the mom admitted that they had a massive lapse in judgement.

I like her. It sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders.

Also, she makes an excellent point re: modesty with

To recap, in patriarchy:

Babies - should be taught self-control. To not act on what they see. If what they see (i.e. Mom’s glass vase) causes them problems, they should be taught to simply not act on their urges. Nothing should be hidden to protect them from stumbling.

Adult men - should be protected from seeing things that makes them stumble. If what they see (i.e. the female shoulder or knee) cause them problems, it should be hidden from them. Nobody expect that their self-control has to protect them from stumbling.

I don't think it's that big of a deal to give people leaving these situations support should they need it. After all, we like the good stories too!.....or at least, I do.

Archived