IGNORED

Lina: Planning a Vegan Pregnancy

Ralar

I guess Lina has officially found her new obsession. Not only is she now a vegan, but she's giving tips on "Planning a Vegan Pregnancy." veggout.blogspot.com/2012/02/planning-vegan-pregnancy-some-helpful.html

I thought I'd dedicate today's post to the topic of a vegan pregnancy. This is my first pregnancy, so I admit that there is still so much I need to learn. But because I am a resource junkie, I felt it would be nice to share some helpful tips with you.

The first thing I did when I decided I wanted to have a completely vegan pregnancy was to get online and scour the web for information. Having known vegans online that had successfully remained vegan throughout their pregnancy, I knew I was making a safe choice. All I needed was the research to back up my belief.

I hope this means she's done spouting her brand of fake Judaism.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was also wondering if she's done with faux Judaism and latching onto something else (but then what about TT, whose main appeal was that he was a faux Jew?). However she does have a "Jewish" dish or two, and has her profile pic with the magen david pendant. So she might be laying low in the hope of managing a conversion.

I've been working on being vegan during the week (ie flexitarian). I wish her the best...I like burgers too much to ever fully give them up!

I think she and TT originally went vegan at home because they didn't have the $$ or space to set up a kosher kitchen. But I'm sure by now it's become part of their ideology, not just a dietary choice.

Oh Lina. Completely vegan pregnancy?

Just 2 months ago you were preaching lacto-ovo vegetarian pregnancy, and EATING EGGS.

How quickly you've gone the way of "do as I say, not as I do."

How can it be vegan semen has protein and it is from animals so it can't be vegan. Just saying.

In one of my vegan cookbooks, there is a Q&A section with the question, "Is oral sex vegan?" The authors explained that veganism is about choice. Animals don't have a choice to be eaten or have their eggs and milk eaten. A person, on the other hand, can consent to being in a sexual relationship and, by extension, having their bodily fluids be inside of another person.

I think she and TT originally went vegan at home because they didn't have the $$ or space to set up a kosher kitchen. But I'm sure by now it's become part of their ideology, not just a dietary choice.

This. I immediately thought that they were unable to afford kosher meat and decided that veganism would make it seem like they were choosing to not eat meat. I was a vegetarian for my first year living with my fiance and, while I wouldn't admit it at the time, we totally were just doing it to save money. :lol:

In before;

Oh no! Child abuse! No dead animals and cow pus or chicken's periods in her diet! TERRIBLE!

Think of the children!!

I'm not a qualified doctor, but I do come from the nestle cereal box school of nutrition and i think that this is wrong because its not the norm and is different to what I and my mother and my milk man and my hairdresser and my grandmother and my neighbour did!!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12826028

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864

It is the position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases

[i]Well-planned vegan and other types of vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of the life-cycle including during pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence.

In before;

Oh no! Child abuse! No dead animals and cow pus or chicken's periods in her diet! TERRIBLE!

Think of the children!!

I'm not a qualified doctor, but I do come from the nestle cereal box school of nutrition and i think that this is wrong because its not the norm and is different to what I and my mother and my milk man and my hairdresser and my grandmother and my neighbour did!!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12826028

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864

It is the position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases

[i]Well-planned vegan and other types of vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of the life-cycle including during pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence.

I was actually raised vegan (and only on non-processed and organic foods) by my hippie parents because my mother was convinced that animal products are the worst thing EVAR. Despite my parents' best efforts, I was malnourished until I was able to eat meat. I ate tofu and beans and all of that protein-y crap until it spilled out of my ears but my body was unable to process it the same way that it processes animal protein. Also, despite eating broccoli and other calcium-y foods, I ended up being a good 6" shorter than anyone else in my family has -ever- been, including my great grandmother. Just because veganism -can- be adequate doesn't make it the best option for everyone.

This. I immediately thought that they were unable to afford kosher meat and decided that veganism would make it seem like they were choosing to not eat meat. I was a vegetarian for my first year living with my fiance and, while I wouldn't admit it at the time, we totally were just doing it to save money. :lol:

That is so funny! Did y'all tell people that your choice was because of something "deeper?"

I was actually raised vegan (and only on non-processed and organic foods) by my hippie parents because my mother was convinced that animal products are the worst thing EVAR. Despite my parents' best efforts, I was malnourished until I was able to eat meat. I ate tofu and beans and all of that protein-y crap until it spilled out of my ears but my body was unable to process it the same way that it processes animal protein. Also, despite eating broccoli and other calcium-y foods, I ended up being a good 6" shorter than anyone else in my family has -ever- been, including my great grandmother. Just because veganism -can- be adequate doesn't make it the best option for everyone.

Spider Burbs, I agree with your take. I don't eat meat but I don't make a religion, or idle ;-) out of it. I'll admit that when I was younger I was pretty into the whole animal rights thing, but nowadays the only real reason I don't eat meat is that I think it's gross, and since I haven't eaten it since my teens, it really is weird to me. But, I realize that everyone is different, and I'm trying to accept that at some point in my life I might need to eat meat for my own health. My boyfriend eats loads of meat and I try not to act too grossed out by it (and it doesn't bother me in restaurants, but when I walk in the kitchen and see grease on my pans it is sometimes all I can do not to throw a huge fit.) My main point here being, he likes it, I don't, that's fine.

It's annoying whenever someone "preaches." It doesn't matter what the subject matter, including eating meat and animal products.

All I needed was the research to back up my belief.

Nothing against veganism, but this statement stuck out to me because this is the way that Lina - and most of our fundies - approach a variety of subjects. They have a particular belief, then find "research" to back up their beliefs.

That is so funny! Did y'all tell people that your choice was because of something "deeper?"

Oh yeah! We totally claimed that it was because we cared about the factory farmed animals and because of the "dangers" of meat to your health; we were so obnoxious about it! We ate TVP with dinner every night (think: tacos, pasta sauce, etc.) and were still constantly craving meat. When we both got super skinny (because apparently fiance needs meat as much as I do to be healthy!) we decided that we would find room in our budget for meat. :P Because I still do actually care about factory farmed animals and we can't afford grass fed/free range, I try to make a habit of buying meat marked down for quick sale (i.e., meat that'll otherwise be thrown out if it's not bought). I figure that way I'm not directly killing anything, plus I'm reducing the amount of food thrown away by the store and I'm saving money, too!

I am just amazed at how this woman becomes an expert at anything she gets interested in within a month or two. She must be a wunderkind!

I noticed that also snickerz. Come to a conclusion and THEN look only at research that supports it. But Lina and TT seem to treat everything that way.

Human beings are not meant to be vegan in terms of dietary needs. We are built to need levels of certain nutrients that are difficult or impossible to attain with a plant-based diet. But many people are able to put together a vegan diet that works. It takes a lot of work and some supplements, but it is possible. I don't think it is a good idea for small children, who need a lot of cholesterol and other nutrients in their foods because their dietary needs per pound are quite high. It can be done if you have a non-picky child who eats a ton.

And some people just cannot be vegan. I was vegetarian for a long time, most of my life in fact. I had some minor health problems related to that. My goal was always to be completely vegan, but I never could do so and stay healthy despite repeated attempts. My iron would drop so low I had trouble staying conscious, that type of thing.

Being vegan can be pretty expensive, really, unless you only eat beans and rice.

I'm the tallest in my family by quite a lot, and I've been vegetarian nearly my whole life. I went vegan in my early teenage years, and I've grown several inches (and gained lots of weight :) ) since then. I get sick far less often than my family members and most other people I know. If I was shorter than the rest of my family and got sick more often I wouldn't appreciate someone attributing that to my veganism, though, and I tend to think that it's just a genetic happenstance rather than diet that made me that way (I've got to claim some good genes; my siblings got the better genes in the looks department :P ). I do it for ethical reasons and personal preference anyway, not for health. I think it's possible to be just as healthy on omnivorous and vegan diets. I never intend to be pregnant, but if I was I would continue to eat vegan.

I am just amazed at how this woman becomes an expert at anything she gets interested in within a month or two. She must be a wunderkind!

well she has nothing to do all day but read stuff online and read books. I kind of get it :P I wish I had 48 hours in my days to do the same and lead a normal life ;)

Nothing against veganism, but this statement stuck out to me because this is the way that Lina - and most of our fundies - approach a variety of subjects. They have a particular belief, then find "research" to back up their beliefs.

That's why this bugs me. Learn about the issue first, then draw your own conclusions. If veganism works for her and she actually does the research necessary to keep herself and the baby healthy, more power to her. I'm just skeptical that she's doing the necessary research when one of her links is about how a raw diet can cure diabetes.

I was also wondering if she's done with faux Judaism and latching onto something else (but then what about TT, whose main appeal was that he was a faux Jew?). However she does have a "Jewish" dish or two, and has her profile pic with the magen david pendant. So she might be laying low in the hope of managing a conversion.

I don't think so. IIRC, she said that TT rises before the sun in order to pray or something like that. They are just keeping low profile now. And Lina, I know you read here. It is obvious.

I really need to get my mind out of the gutter, because I thought the bolded quote above was in response to this statement by GeoBQueen:

In one of my vegan cookbooks, there is a Q&A section with the question, "Is oral sex vegan?" The authors explained that veganism is about choice. Animals don't have a choice to be eaten or have their eggs and milk eaten. A person, on the other hand, can consent to being in a sexual relationship and, by extension, having their bodily fluids be inside of another person.

If Lina is a vegan anything like she was a Jew, then she is not going to do it right. LOL

well she has nothing to do all day but read stuff online and read books. I kind of get it :P I wish I had 48 hours in my days to do the same and lead a normal life ;)

Hey, there. I resent that remark! No handslapping, but I don't work outside my home, and I make my household run effectively. My husband makes our money, and I do everything else. I do have the time to read what I want to read, and that it because I manage my time in my home. These things are important to me, and since I am unable to have an outside job, I do what I can. Sorry to sound defensive, but I am a bit tired of remarks like that. Carry on.

Hey, there. I resent that remark! No handslapping, but I don't work outside my home, and I make my household run effectively. My husband makes our money, and I do everything else. I do have the time to read what I want to read, and that it because I manage my time in my home. These things are important to me, and since I am unable to have an outside job, I do what I can. Sorry to sound defensive, but I am a bit tired of remarks like that. Carry on.

Do you follow Lina? This wasn't (likely) a swipe at homemakers in general. Lina really does the bare minimum.

Archived