IGNORED

Lina: Planning a Vegan Pregnancy

Ralar

Nothing against veganism, but this statement stuck out to me because this is the way that Lina - and most of our fundies - approach a variety of subjects. They have a particular belief, then find "research" to back up their beliefs.

I've met others who do the same thing. I was told the other day, by somebody who is a chemist by training, that our bodies can't recognize the proteins in homogenized milk.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm just skeptical that she's doing the necessary research when one of her links is about how a raw diet can cure diabetes.

I have a cousin who believes her diabetes was cured by a raw vegan diet. If she had done her research, she would have known that her grandparents, her father and her aunt all had diet controlled type 2 diabetes. It's just the type that runs in our family. Not all diabetes is controlled the same way, so it's really dangerous that some groups are spreading these myths.

Also, I loved Lina's line about "back when my husband and I were trying to conceive." They tried for what, 8 seconds?

I think she and TT originally went vegan at home because they didn't have the $$ or space to set up a kosher kitchen. But I'm sure by now it's become part of their ideology, not just a dietary choice.

I concur.

Also, I loved Lina's line about "back when my husband and I were trying to conceive." They tried for what, 8 seconds?

:roll: She's a moron.

Wonder where she'll be 10 years from now... Betcha it won't be with TT

I'm betting Lina's going to be as accurate being vegan as she was at being Jewish...not very. Therefore he new vegan diet will probably include bacon:) She's probably missed it as a faux Jew. I wonder what would happen when she inevitably abandons her fake Judaism. TT seemed like a real fake Jew (haha accurate oxymoron:P) so he won't take when Lina gets bored of playing Jewish well

I'm betting Lina's going to be as accurate being vegan as she was at being Jewish...not very. Therefore he new vegan diet will probably include bacon:) She's probably missed it as a faux Jew. I wonder what would happen when she inevitably abandons her fake Judaism. TT seemed like a real fake Jew (haha accurate oxymoron:P) so he won't take when Lina gets bored of playing Jewish well

:lol:

I think it is entirley possible to be healthy on a vegan diet. However I am not sure that Lina is eating this way for a good reason. I wonder if she is worried about getting fat. It concerns me that she has gained so little weight with this pregnancy. I hope she is getting good pre natal care.

She's talking about that time before they went shomer negiah, obvs.

Okay, with all the talk about bacon lately, I'm plotting making some maple bacon lollipops. I haven't had one since Lollyphile went vegan.

Do you follow Lina? This wasn't (likely) a swipe at homemakers in general. Lina really does the bare minimum.

Yes, but I have to admit, I understand more a mom being busy all day long than a woman without kids in what is most probably a 2 bedroom apartment. Sorry but she has more time on her hands than we do, none of her obligations are - until she has the baby - different than any person who works or studies full time. I also have to clean and cook and I even have a cat to care for on top of studying full time and looking for part time jobs. I don't have the time to read several books about a vegan diet.

I'm not saying she's a bad person for it, I'm saying she has the time for it.

Yes, but I have to admit, I understand more a mom being busy all day long than a woman without kids in what is most probably a 2 bedroom apartment. Sorry but she has more time on her hands than we do, none of her obligations are - until she has the baby - different than any person who works or studies full time. I also have to clean and cook and I even have a cat to care for on top of studying full time and looking for part time jobs. I don't have the time to read several books about a vegan diet.

I was making a silly observation about Lina's manic swings in interests, and how she becomes an "expert", though, as we saw with her "Yah-some" period, she was doing it wrong, not taking a swipe @ stay at home moms. Hell, I am going to be one myself soon (but not by choice), however, I will not be putting up a blog and pretending to know everything there is to know about The Reformation, as I read the Wikipedia article on it. That's what I am snarking about. Stay at home moms, as long as they are not forced by a man or religion, are aces with me, sister, but I can still snark on their blogs!

Oh no I totally agree with you. I was replying to Narcoleption. I am a stay at home mom to a toddler and a baby, and also work 20hrs a week from home, and I don't bitch as much as Lina (I hope).

The "well-planned" part of the official quote up-thread about the safety of vegan diets during pregnancy--that's what worries me. Because Lina can play at this and play at that and declare herself an expert after a month, but this time somebody could get seriously hurt. Maybe Lina, maybe the baby, maybe both.

Lina, I know you read here. It's time to grow up and stop plinking around. Research a vegan maternity diet. Research it extensively. Use articles written by actual trained professionals, not somebody posting third-hand info on a site that runs ads for car insurance on the sidebar. Write down what you need to eat for the baby's sake and for your sake as well; your tissue health and clotting ability will be important when the time comes to give birth. Don't worry about "getting fat;" in case you hadn't realized this, your belly is going to be sticking out two feet and your ass will never be the same no matter what you eat.

If you can't stick to your vegan diet, Lina, make the sacrifice and eat whatever it takes to keep yourself and your baby healthy. Whether you find that you are one of the unlucky ones who pukes up vegetables and soy products (I was) or you run out of money for the really nutrient-dense vegan foods, make the sacrifice. You are a grown-up now whether you want to be or not. Time to stop playing.

(And if you can eat vegan clear t hrough your pregnancy, good on you! Just remember--the correct nutrients for your and the baby's tissue health and fat, fat, fat for central nervous system growth! For details please see articles by people who know whereof they speak.)

In one of my vegan cookbooks, there is a Q&A section with the question, "Is oral sex vegan?" The authors explained that veganism is about choice. Animals don't have a choice to be eaten or have their eggs and milk eaten. A person, on the other hand, can consent to being in a sexual relationship and, by extension, having their bodily fluids be inside of another person.

Sorry to dwell on this, but I do have a legit question.

Geo, why was the question about oral sex included in a *cookbook*? There weren't recipes on how to incorporate semen, were there?

Just typing that makes me gag.

The "well-planned" part of the official quote up-thread about the safety of vegan diets during pregnancy--that's what worries me. Because Lina can play at this and play at that and declare herself an expert after a month, but this time somebody could get seriously hurt. Maybe Lina, maybe the baby, maybe both.

Lina, I know you read here. It's time to grow up and stop plinking around. Research a vegan maternity diet. Research it extensively. Use articles written by actual trained professionals, not somebody posting third-hand info on a site that runs ads for car insurance on the sidebar. Write down what you need to eat for the baby's sake and for your sake as well; your tissue health and clotting ability will be important when the time comes to give birth. Don't worry about "getting fat;" in case you hadn't realized this, your belly is going to be sticking out two feet and your ass will never be the same no matter what you eat.

If you can't stick to your vegan diet, Lina, make the sacrifice and eat whatever it takes to keep yourself and your baby healthy. Whether you find that you are one of the unlucky ones who pukes up vegetables and soy products (I was) or you run out of money for the really nutrient-dense vegan foods, make the sacrifice. You are a grown-up now whether you want to be or not. Time to stop playing.

(And if you can eat vegan clear t hrough your pregnancy, good on you! Just remember--the correct nutrients for your and the baby's tissue health and fat, fat, fat for central nervous system growth! For details please see articles by people who know whereof they speak.)

Lina, this.

The damage malnourishment can have on a developing baby is significant.

Vegan pregnancy sounds terrifying. She's going to end up like Michelle Duggar, with all the calcium leeched from her bones. Also, my flatmate's cousins were raised vegan, and even though they were given all the right supplements the lack of protein left them so mentally under developed that they were removed from their mother's care for their own safety.

I do hope she's getting some prenatal care of some kind. It sounds like if you want to have a vegan pregnancy it's something you should discuss with an obgyn, and not just rely on random links.

Sorry to dwell on this, but I do have a legit question.

Geo, why was the question about oral sex included in a *cookbook*? There weren't recipes on how to incorporate semen, were there?

Just typing that makes me gag.

Many vegan cookbooks start by explaining what is to be vegan. I don't know if Geo is quoting the veganomicon, but some of them have whole FAQ sections.

Oh no I totally agree with you. I was replying to Narcoleption. I am a stay at home mom to a toddler and a baby, and also work 20hrs a week from home, and I don't bitch as much as Lina (I hope).

Oh no beeks, I was responding to narcoleption reflux. I don't mind stay at home persons, I just mind when they don't own up to the fact that indeed they have more time on their hands than we do when they don't have kids or volunteer work ^^

I thought I'd pipe in and point out that lina herself stated that her midwife is fine with her vegan pregnancy. I don't know what kind of midwife she has but it does appear that she has some form of prenatal care. Also, as I understand, it seems to me that lina was a vegan a while back? So this is not all new to her. At any rate, vegan pregnancies can be extremely vibrant and healthy and in my opinion lina's doing fine. Her diet is probably ten times better than the average schlep I come across on my babycenter bulletin board. If I were her I'd just be eating loads more greens (which are high in protein and all other nutrients in relation to their caloric value) and try to avoid the empty cals in cookies and stuff.

An fyi that is also tmi: there is a book of semen-based recipes on amazon. It is called "Natural Harvest" or something similar. Bleh.

Didn't Lina post something about her family getting on her back about having an eating disorder the first time she went vegan?

I really hope this vegan pregnancy crap isn't a ruse to hide some kind of eating disorder. Babies need all kinds of nutrients.

Didn't Lina post something about her family getting on her back about having an eating disorder the first time she went vegan?

I really hope this vegan pregnancy crap isn't a ruse to hide some kind of eating disorder. Babies need all kinds of nutrients.

I'd forgotten about that! A lot of people with eating disorders who haven't fully recovered will "slip" back into disordered eating under the guise of raw foodism, veganism, etc. Not saying that it's inherently a bad thing, but food is the only control that some people have--and a "good, submissive housewife" doesn't exactly have much else she is allowed to control...

I too worry about the baby's development. Especially if they are doing this thinking that it is cheaper or to mask an eating disorder. If she is doing it right it can be okay, not optimal (our digestive systems are set up to be omnivores, just because we can survive as a vegan doesn't change that), but okay.

I am a little worried about some kids I know. Their mother is a very picky vegetarian (to the point of it nearly being an eating disorder) and she has decided that the kids have sensitivities to eggs and all dairy. There is family watching closely, but they feel like their hands are tied.

Archived