IGNORED

Homeschooled and kept socially isolated by fundie grandma

easternabeille

Just found this in the AMA (ask me anything) section of Reddit. At the age of two this man was adopted by his fundamentalist grandmother who homeschooled him and kept him isolated from the outside world. Here's the intro to his AMA:

"I was adopted by my grandmother when I was 2, she was a very fundamentalist Christian & extremely conservative. She "homeschooled" me, in the loosest sense of the word, and kept me isolated from the outside world to "prevent me from being corrupted".

There was no TV or internet. I was allowed to listen to the radio, but only to listen to certain things like Christian shows like D. James Kennedy and Focus on the Family. Only non-fiction books were allowed except for some classic literature. Most "schoolwork" involved intensive Bible study, reading of conservative literature and such. Anything that was considered "for entertainment only" she viewed as a waste of time and was not allowed.

I never had any friends growing up, social contact was limited to whatever I got closely accompanying her to the grocery store and whatnot. I was not allowed to leave the house without her. What family I do have was demonized and driven away, and I was pretty much brainwashed to extremely dislike my other family members and not want to see them."

Here's the link to the discussion, but be warned there is a bunch of NSFW language!

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/o ... olated_by/

Archived