IGNORED

Where do they get the frumpers?

Juliakitty

http://ringgerclothingdotcom/ This one is VERY fundie and snarkworthy.

Ringger might be fundie, but they do the perfect peasant top! Going on my wish list, as I'm not nearly a good enough seamstress to get the ruffled sleeves right.

If it's in a lovely (read: puke inducing) calico pattern, it was probably handmade, either by the family or someone marketing their skills towards the fundie lifestyle.

My mom used to buy us matching dresses from these people

liliesapparel.com/ it's quite snarkworthy too

it was awful. The neighbourhood kids used to ask me if I had stolen my clothes from a museum and they would throw snowballs with rocks in them at my sister and I while laughing at our clothes.

My mom used to buy us matching dresses from these people

liliesapparel.com/ it's quite snarkworthy too

it was awful. The neighbourhood kids used to ask me if I had stolen my clothes from a museum and they would throw snowballs with rocks in them at my sister and I while laughing at our clothes.

I am so sorry, that was horrid what those children did.

Lots of home dressmakers such as the infamous Lydia of Purple, www.gracefulthreads.com, www.thekingsdaughters.com etc

There's a huge list here http://www.modestclothes.com/simple/chr ... tores.html

There's a lot of independent pattern designers such as the above mentioned Kings daughters and Home Sew Designs that do the mennonite style. Many of the fabrics used are either quilting fabrics or polycotton from Gehmans Country Fabrics http://www.tropicalbreezefabric.com/ Gehmans is VERY popular in frumper fundie circles.

Wow, just been taking a look at Ringger, it's been a while since I've been on there and they've gone a bit more modern!

I've made my own frumpers and frumpers for my daughter (I'm an atheist frumper lover LOL!), but from my own pattern designs.

I have noticed Anna Duggar wearing those long sundresses that were popular from Old Navy a few years ago, but she puts a t-shirt under them and uses them like jumpers. I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more of that over the next 10 years as those dresses end up in thrift stores.

I have noticed Anna Duggar wearing those long sundresses that were popular from Old Navy a few years ago, but she puts a t-shirt under them and uses them like jumpers. I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more of that over the next 10 years as those dresses end up in thrift stores.

I see that a lot at my niece's elementary school, not because they have a lot of fundies but because spaghetti straps are against the dress code, plus it's too cold here most of the time to wear sundresses.

Wow, just been taking a look at Ringger, it's been a while since I've been on there and they've gone a bit more modern!

I've made my own frumpers and frumpers for my daughter (I'm an atheist frumper lover LOL!), but from my own pattern designs.

You're not the only one. Granted I make my own but lightweight denim can be hard to find out there. And I admit that I kinda like that bib jumper....

make 'em, buy 'em at the thrift store, or take "normal" clothes and make some additions to cover what they want covered.

I've noticed at our church (which is charismatic, wild and crazy, maybe fundie-lite) that the sundresses are popular but at least at chuch, many are combined with a t-shirt. There is no dress code that I know of, and plenty of people have no problem baring shoulders or showing cleavage, but I'm interested by the shirt/sundress combo because it would be something that would make one of those things workable for a fundamentalist gal.

There are tons of places that sell them made to order or sell patterns, which is where you see the families with the matching ones. Some mail-order stores also sell them at different times. I never really was a fan of most jumpers, but the ones I had were from places like Blair, Vermont Country store, and Occasionally Land's End or Coldwater Creek. The ones from the custom "Christian modest clothing" type sites tended to be overpriced, fit weird, and were usually made of lower quality fabrics.

I'm not sure how many bloggers would admit to shopping at Goodwill or Salvation Army, but I'd bet a lot do. Since the denim and corduroy jumpers were in fashion for a while in the 90s, you can find tons of them in those places for a few dollars each (I've bought several denim jumpers that way to convert into aprons - split the back seam, add ties, and it's much cheaper than buying one, and long/heavy enough to keep my clothes clean & dry underneath).

Oh, here's a huge list of different modest clothing sites broken down into types: http://simplygettingby.blogspot.com/p/m ... thing.html

I'm surprised fundies don't demand that all frumpers be hand-sewn with a needle and thread. Anything less would be "lazy".

The Maxwells made all their frumpers until about a year ago when they suddenly started showing up in photos with a few obviously store-purchased skirts and sweaters and blouses. Big improvement, IMO.

Sarah has shared more than once on the blog the names and numbers of the patterns they have used for the frumpers and that they always gravitate toward the calico section at the fabric store. And then Teri boasted about buying t-shirts from Land's End to go underneath. The switch from frumpers has been a good one. I'm presume Steve reads here and finally got his "aha" moment from God that the ladies' clothing needed a little modernization.

And a little OT, but does anyone know who made that awful wedding gown for Anna Marie? WOW! That could not have been any more ill-fitting than a garbage sack!

Today was half price day at Value Village, and I saw plenty of frumpers and swarms of fundies buying them. I suspect that there are thrift stores filled with frumpers all over the country.

I've seen the patterns at sewing and fabric stores as well, but really? sewing something is expensive, even if you get everything on sale. On half price day at a thrift store, you can get a frumper in good shape for like two bucks.

I found long jumpers like this about 10 years ago at a store called "Petite Sophisticate". They were made out of a very nice washable fabric that looks like suede. I came to my senses, and had them all shortened to mini dresses.

...I'll wear them w/ a jaunty cap, and walk w/ a clickity-click of my heels.

And suddenly it all makes sense to me.

A shameful admission, in Australia a Jumper is what you guys in the US call a sweater.

Here I have been thinking you are all refering to some kind of ugly sweaters, which I'd never really seen as being a big fundie thing (hence my confusion). Well call those frumper things pinafores. (doesnt have quite the same ring to it)

Most fundies I knew bought denim from places like Lands End, but made the rest. I distinctly remember making my own calico jumpers. There are plenty of fundies in the area where I grew up and there's even a fabric store that has higher quality flower-printed calico fabric. It's much nicer than the quilting fabric that we'd get at Hancock. Good for those church frumpers! :D

Jamanda, I have just finally registered after lurking for ever, just to say thanks for clarifying that! Ive been wondering what a frumper was- as a fellow Aussie I too assumed it was something sweater related. Or just really frumpy clothing in general. Thank god I now know!

This site also offers washable menstrual pads. Sorry, but the greatest invention since sliced bread is the tampon. FREEDOM!

Not if you have a prolapse! Before having it all whipped out I couldn't wear tampons because of my prolapse. Washable pads were a godsend.

Archived