IGNORED

Isn't Posting This Embarrassing For A Child- Pearls, Bedwet

debrand

I think that the Pearls are trying to change their image. There is information about sex slavery and how to prevent it. Less emphasis is put on physically punishing children.

Although this article does not talk about physical punishment, I winced when I read it. Having issues with wetting the bed is embarrasing for many kids and I don't think that I would post about my relatives bed wetting problem. Maybe I'm being too sensitive. What do you all think? There is a photo of the boy on the site

Live and learn.

Five-year-old Jeremiah stayed with us for four days while his parents attended a funeral out of state. He is a very sound sleeper. Nothing wakes him once he goes out. Just tell him to lie down and in one minute he goes bye bye. But he sometimes wets his bed during the night, so his mother has him sleep in an absorbent garment made for older kids who wet themselves.

The first morning as he got up and was stepping out of his pull up diaper I said, “Did you wet yourself?†As he pushed his absorbent garment to the floor he said, “Na†and walked off. But then I smelled something awful. Picking it up I said, “Yea, you peed on yourself; better go wash up.â€

Something similar took place the next two mornings as well. On the fourth morning, he got up without me noticing and was coming from the bathroom. I said, “Did you wash yourself off?â€

“Yeah, I washed my butt.â€

“Well, your butt is not enough; you need to wash all over.â€

“Naah, that’s enough.â€

“You need to wash the front too; I can smell you.â€

“It’s okay; it doesn’t stink.â€

“You might not be able to smell it but I can, and it stinks.â€

And then he said, “At my house we say good morning.â€

At first I thought he had changed the subject, and then it dawned on me that he was rebuking me for not beginning the day with good fellowship as his parents do at home. Apparently they don’t rag him about his bed wetting. Wow! Shut my mouth! Live and learn. ☺

I want to know what parent endangers their child by leaving them at the home of Michael and Debi Pearl. CPS should be called on these parents for child endangerment. And good for that 5 year old for putting Michael Pearl in his place. I am sure he was met with plumbing line for that one. :(

Um, yeah. Love that the boy corrected her manners, but if that's story going to be posted it should, IMO, be anonymous as to his identity.

I can kinda see myself as a bit of a mommy-blogger someday, much as I hate to admit it. But I think it's wrong to post anything embarrassing about your children (or post about them at all if they're old enough to defer and wish to do so). There was a mommy-blogger with 15 or 16 kids and she posted extensively about her oldest son's suicide attempt; that also made me really uncomfortable (her blog has since - rightfully, I think - gone private).

I find it odd that they needed to mention the child by name but a five year old wetting the bed is pretty common. I'd be more worried about him staying wiht the Pearls then somebody finding that post and teasing him years from now.

I think that he is their grandson. The Pearls seem to expect less of little boys then they do little girls. In their view, boys are supposed to be outgoing, tough and active.

I think that he is their grandson. The Pearls seem to expect less of little boys then they do little girls. In their view, boys are supposed to be outgoing, tough and active.

I agree. I would have liked to hear how Michael would have handled the same situation with a little girl. Then again, maybe not... :-?

I read that and cringed. Whe writes about that?

The new magazine cover gives me the creeps. Michael Pearl looks like some bum. As I type, I wonder if that wouldn't be too offensive to bums, I mean, at least they don't advocate beating children.

Seems to me there's generally been a significant PR effort to make NGJ & the Pearls much kinder & gentler, at least for the ignorant or unsuspecting.

This story as well as the daily photo feature (Bird's Eye View, on the front webpage), their FB page, and other interactive items started appearing in the last year or so -- since the murder of Lydia Schatz.

Coincidence? I think not.

If you read the comments, one woman suggests that it is a byproduct of the early potty training popular among Pearl followers.

And, yes, it is seen in child abuse cases often, although there are plenty of non-abused children who do it as well.

My God that child has the comic timing of Jerry Seinfeld. "At my house we say 'good morning'." That is AWESOME.

Isn't bed-wetting often a side effect of child abuse?

It very well could be but it also could be a sign of stress of a new room at a strange house. We have a ton of preemies born in our family and premature birth can be the cause of later bed wetting. Not something to strees over if a child is a night time wetter or an over involved play time wetter, kids normally out grow wetting the bed or during play time by puberty and it won't help them in any way to blog about. Kids are people who have all the same rights to privacy that any adult does and bloging about it violates their rights IMHO. :naughty:

My niece wet the bed because her kidneys were too small for her body. She had to have a cathader quite a few times when we were little. ( yes she is almost the age as me)

When I was a kid, my mom would share these little stories with other adults and it was so humiliating. She pretended that I wasn't even there and would talk about me right in front of me, and I would get so mad. And then of course she thought my outrage was just so cute and she would laugh about. I am SO thankful that the internet was not mainstream at that time. She was very limited in how many people she could tell my embarrassing stories to. This poor little has no such like. I made a vow to never to do that to any child because of how much it hurt me.

As for bedwetting, it's very common. It could be a sign of abuse, but it's just as likely a "normal" reason, especially for a 4 year-old. Add the stress of being in a weird place without your parents, and you don't really need a special reason to explain it.

Kids are kids when it comes to bedwetting. It is possibly a side effect of abuse, but also just because he is four (five?). Many kids have issues with that kind of thing and they were not abused. My sibling w as a bed-wetter until he was about 9, due to being such an heavy sleeper. My own kid just quit wetting the bed, but I still expect the occasional accident, it's all part of human nature which I am pretty sure the pearls do not have a good grasp on.

Plus, kids have rights too. It's pretty over the line to name the child in the blog. I can understand if someone wants advice or just to share a story to help someone else, etc- like I just did, ha- but to name names, photos, etc- that is a bit too much and possibly very damaging if the child is quite sensitive to things like this- you never know (shrugs).

IMO. AWESOME COMEBACK. :) Awesome.

Bedwetting in older children is not at all unusual and frequently runs in families--children (often boys) inherit an unfortunate combination of very deep sleep patterns and a bladder that is slow to mature and voila! bedwetters. My older brother wet the bed until he was 14 or 15; one of his two children was also a bedwetter; one of my sons was a bedwetter until age 12. We didn't make a big deal about it and, given our family history, his pediatrician was not concerned either. He did outgrow it eventually.

I would never assume that a bedwetter was being sexually abused or had emotional issues unless there were some other substantial evidence. Such an assumption is incredibly insulting and hurtful to the many children who are bedwetters for reasons beyond anyone's control, and could also lead to potentially devastating consequences for the parents whose only "crime" may well have been carrying an unfortunate combination of DNA.

Love the comeback! When I get around to blogging, I stay anon for the sake of my kids, and only occasionally post a baby pic. No need for potential humiliation.

Isn't bed-wetting often a side effect of child abuse?

It can be, but there are many 5 year olds who aren't reliably dry at night. In abuse related bed wetting it's usually seen in an older child who has previously been dry at night. A 5 year old that still wets the bed is no big deal.

That kid needs a medal. :clap: :text-+1:

I would never post this about a child. Whether they be 5 or 10 that's personal. :naughty:

Archived