IGNORED

Highlights From a Creationist Science Textbook

MaroonMandy

I don't know if anyone here reads the lists on 11 points, but I just read today's and immediately though of FJ.

11points.com/Books/11_Eye-Opening_Highlights_From_a_Creationist_Science_Textbook

I'm not sure if I could break the link so I'm erring on the side of caution.

The electricity part is pretty appalling. But really, the whole book is! There are no hard facts, just "look at this, isn't it cool? well, God made it!" No actual facts, nothing to memorize, no real concept learning. Science classes are generally a mixture of memorizing important facts and learning to comprehend difficult concepts, combined with hands-on learning and labs to drive key points home. The electricity section would be a great place to introduce some actual fact and they dropped that ball because? why? Why can't the little fundie kiddos learn about anodes and cathodes and how a battery works, then make a battery from a potato and use it to power a fan?

I can assure you that all Christian science curricula are this dismal. And it is hard for homeschoolers to find non-religious science books. That was always the most difficult area for me in terms of purchasing curriculum. There really was not a secular, comprehensive curriculum that I could find, so I just winged it and patched together different books and science kits.

Wait, isn't the main argument against evolution and the big band and all that the claim that you can't make something from nothing? So why can creationists claim that God made shit from nothing?

@CanadianHippie - I use that argument on my husband all the time.

It's the weirdest thing. He was raised fundie-ish. Went to public school, but parents didn't really support education that much. (Probably because its a threat to fundie beliefs.) Worked for awhile. Decided that being poor and uneducated really sucks. Went back to school to study engineering. Made the Dean's list more than once. Woohoo!!! Met wonderful lapsed Catholic (now atheist) me. Yay!!! But still falls back on fundie weirdness when it comes to certain aspects of science. It drives me bananas.

The only good thing about this text book is: the exam is easy peasy - the answer to every question is : God did it.

:animals-cow:

(the cow smilie makes as much sense as any of the "information" in that book)

The electricity part is pretty appalling. But really, the whole book is! There are no hard facts, just "look at this, isn't it cool? well, God made it!" No actual facts, nothing to memorize, no real concept learning. Science classes are generally a mixture of memorizing important facts and learning to comprehend difficult concepts, combined with hands-on learning and labs to drive key points home. The electricity section would be a great place to introduce some actual fact and they dropped that ball because? why? Why can't the little fundie kiddos learn about anodes and cathodes and how a battery works, then make a battery from a potato and use it to power a fan?

Ugh...this shit annoys me as a person of faith and as a trained scientist. First, if something is incontrovertably true, it should stand up to scientific scrutiny. Second, why can't something be the answer to how, even if it is not necessarily the answer to why?

*sigh*, my 4 youngest siblings had this "science" book....it truly is horrible. Everything is very Duggarish "look how great the world is, obv God did it!". There is little to no actual science in it.

I'm so glad that I'm teaching the ebil evolution (and kick ass dinosaurs!) to my kids!

And then scientists wonder why so many laypeople know squat about science. I think I lost some IQ points just reading those exerpts.

OMG I had forgotten until I saw it but this was my second grade science book at a private school in SC!!! :o (Not anywhere near BJU nor was it affiliated, but apparently they were friends.) I remember the whole moon and the end of the world page vividly because it scared the shit out of me. It was kinda strange b/c my parents are Christian, but not fundy, and I had tons of secular books at home about science and dinosaurs, etc. Must be why my parents came to their senses a couple of years later and sent me to public school... :clap:

I had that book, too! Now you guys know what I went through as a kid. :lol: It only got worse with higher grade levels, too. I did junior high with a BJU video program, and I remember 7th grade science having a long unit on why evolution was wrong with videos of an incredibly stupid scientist who believes in evolution to show what evolutionists believe.

With me being a science major in Biotechnology, this textbook digests me in more ways than one; I refuse to comment on all of the things that are wrong with it.

Fail, epic fail.

Archived