IGNORED

Vet Assistant - Scrubs Skirt

Crackedeggs

So we were getting one of our cats looked at today, and while he was getting trimmed, a vet assistant with very long hair in a bun and a skirt, rather than pants, came in. Skirt scrubs. Never saw them before. I knew right away she was some flavor of fundie, very young, so perhaps a NOT SAHD, or a part time one. My daughter and I exchanged looks - we knew what she was. My dear partner, however, oblivious as usual, launched into a tale of his mother's old cat, who they affectionately called "shithead" due to her stupidity, complete with a couple of other expletives... and the previously fake-sunny disposition of the fundie chick disappeared. In fact, she got icy, and left the room ASAP.

My daughter and I had a good laugh when we got to the van. :D

I used to work at a nursing home with a seventh day adventist who wore a long white skirt instead of scrub pants. I guess you can buy them, but I don't know where.

I personally wore white Levis with a scrub top. We had to give showers to patients and the old men would purposely splash the female CNAs. We had to wear white pants so we were basically naked if they were made out of that thin cotton that scrubs are made of.

I can see wearing a skirt as a human nurse, but as a Veterinary Technician I can tell you that wearing a skirt is a hell of a lot more defrauding then some loose scrub pants.

I have a number of MA's who wear them, Mormon Fundies. Reason why women should not wear pants according to Zsu-so you can tell men from women.

Where I grew up there were a lot of pentecostals who worked in the medical field. The local scrubs store carried skirts. A lot of these women were college educated at secular universities. Not a SAHD in the bunch... Or a SAHM either.

these were more than likely store bought - they matched the other women, who wear pants, and they looked professionally done. I'd never seen such a thing before!

Just wait until she has to pull a terrified cat out from under a table. Suddenly her skirt won't seem as modest as pants. I truly do not care if people want to wear skirts for most things, but sometimes it's just not practical.

I've never heard of scrub skirts. I would think they would be both awkward, as the jobs you wear scrubs for tend to be pretty physical, and not as sanitary either. You get more coverage from pants, don't you? And scrub pants are about as modest as pants can get!

A number of the nurses in our NICU graduated from Bob Jones and they all wore regular scrub suits. I can't remember a single nurse wearing a scrub dress. BJU's nursing program is (or at least was 20 years ago) quite good. Their pass rate on the NCLEX-RN exam was/is almost 100%.

I knew a Mennonite girl who dressed plain, with long skirts, when she was studying to be a DVM, she would wear her overalls over her dresses and sometimes put a mens flannel shirt over her blouse. She would not have been permitted to wear long skirts when animal handling, and she had addressed these issues after admission prior to first term. She wore normal surgical scrubs when operating.

When I had surgery a couple years ago, all the nurses in the pre-op area wore scrubs, except for one woman in her 60s who I assume was Pentecostal. She had the Pentecostal hair pouf going and she wore a skirt. She was also incredibly kind...and when I had to get up to use the restroom, she expertly tied my hospital gown quite firmly so that I didn't accidentally moon anyone on the way to the bathroom...bless her for that!!

Scrub dresses are fairly common here. When my son was born my midwife wore a scrub dress and when my daughter was born all the NICU staff wore scrub dresses rather than pants because it was so hot in there.

I can definitely see the advantage to a scrub skirt when it's really hot. Here however, it just cold and wet most of the time. And her legs were bare under it! BRRR!

I'm not a fundie but I would have got icy and let the room in a hurry too. At least with the fundies I can click off the page. Jeezz, at least with the door to doorers I can shut the door. Can't imagine someone talking like that in a place of business. Uncool

I have never seen anyone wear scrubs skirts, but I have seen them at uniform stores. Last summer, my family was planning a party. My cousin and I went to pick up a cake from a bakery and the bakery was located next to a uniform store. My cousin is in respiratory therapy school and at the time he was looking at scrub pricing at different stores. We went into the uniform store real quick and I saw the scrub skirts.

I can see wearing fundie women wearing scrub skirts in hospitals or nursing homes. But I think at a veterinary clinic, wearing scrub pants would be better in case an animal got loose and people ended up running after it. Running in a skirt can be a bit hazardous.

How did nurses manage back in the 60s and prior when pants were not an option and the uniforms were quite short as I recall?

Find a copy of the British films 'Carry On Nurse' and 'Carry On Doctor' from that era to see the sort of jokes it gave rise to . . . ;)

:pray:

I'm not a fundie but I would have got icy and let the room in a hurry too. At least with the fundies I can click off the page. Jeezz, at least with the door to doorers I can shut the door. Can't imagine someone talking like that in a place of business. Uncool

While his use of profanity was not good manners, neither was/ is being icy and rude. Two wrongs don't make a right, even if you have Jesus on your side. You can't control the world, but you can control your reaction to it. I am amazed at the number of "Good" Christians who believe God sanctions them to act like a horse's ass in His name.

How did nurses manage back in the 60s and prior when pants were not an option and the uniforms were quite short as I recall?

I was in nursing school in 89 (long story short, failed out, went back later and passed). I wore dresses and it was NOT easy when you threw the nurses cap into the mix. Modesty goes out the window! You have to squat to empty to foley bags, check pedal pulses if you patient is sitting in a chair, etc. Ain't no such thing as modesty in nursing. And the cap gets caught in tubing. PIA.

I love scrubs. I buy heavier material, btw, so when they get wet, they ain't see through. And I wear ceil blue tops and those are never see through. I look forward to the day when I don't have to wear white though!

:pray:

Wow, snob much "Another one"? The Vet himself was laughing with us about the American Pie movies. We were explaining multiple scabs on the youngest female cat from the oldest female cat trying to mate with her ( cats bite during sex - hence the scabbing) The other VA was laughing her head off. It was not like we walked in there saying "f this and f that" , and everyone there but Miss Holier than Thou was talking about ribald subjects and laughing. He was not out of line.

I have no idea how the pray icon got in my response. Weird.

Archived