IGNORED

Occupy hecklers drown out Bachmann at Iowa diner

doggie

Glad to see occupy people doing something right.

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) - The Hamburg Inn in Iowa City has long been a popular stop for presidential candidates, but it probably won't be high on Rep. Michele Bachmann's list anymore.

About two dozen activists with Occupy Iowa City packed the diner before Bachmann arrived Thursday, then loudly chanted in unison as she tried to mingle with supporters. Their chant blasted the Minnesota congresswoman's position on gay rights, health care and taxes and ended with: "You're not wanted here. So go, just go."

The restaurant's manager says the campaign blared Christmas songs over a sound system to drown out the protesters. Police arrived as tensions rose, but no one was arrested.

Bachmann seemed undeterred. Before leaving, she thanked the owner, praised the food and said it was great to be in Iowa City.

Its only fair that these politicians,who want to harass everyday citizens with their extremist non-logic,get harassed every time they're out in public. As long as no one's getting violent of course. I mean afterall,its kind of THEIR thing to tell people to go after politicians with guns,isnt it? No need to sink to their level.

Rick Santorum got a chilly reception at the Hamburg Inn as well. I just moved to the area and it's pretty entertaining to watch the reactions. Unfortunately, I'm going to be out of the country during the caucuses.

I'm surprised she actually went to Iowa City, since that's one of the most liberal places in the state. I mean the largest win margin for Obama in Iowa was Johnson county(70%-30%), where Iowa City is at. I imagine the caucus voters here to go for a less cray cray candidate.

Bachmann came to Iowa City at some point in the summer, notable only because she made her appearance at the nearby Bluebird Diner instead of the Hamburg Inn.

Iowa's a funky place that way--gay marriage? Yep, got it! So conservative and fundy that we think Bachmann may be too liberal? Yep, got that too!

But, much as I dislike Bachmann, I really, really hate people trying to drown out political candidates when they're trying to express their views. Voters have a right and an obligation to know where candidates stand. A bunch of dumbasses making noise to disrupt the political process really pisses me off, no matter who the candidate is.

Archived