IGNORED

"Pro-lifers, the tide just turned" (Duggar-related)

Rachel333

I like this:

[Note].

When I worked we could not use our computers for perusing the web, we could only use it for work. People actually lost their jobs for being on non-work related sites.

I thought this was going to be proof that the fundies had washed their hands of the Duggars. :pray:

Then I thought it was proof that the die-hard pro-lifers saw the light because of Michelle. :pray:

Nope, just more proof of the stupidty of die-hard pro-lifers. :doh:

I like this:

When I worked we could not use our computers for perusing the web, we could only use it for work. People actually lost their jobs for being on non-work related sites.

Yeah not for most people in cubicle farms as long as it is reasonable use.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/pro-lifers-the-tide-just-turned

This article irritated me. The author thinks that because people were sympathetic to the Duggars, everyone is now pro-life. I also think this is just the beginning of using Jubilee for anti-abortion propaganda.

I think it is the beginning too. I don't think being sympathetic to the Duggars translates however to being pro-life. I'd guess that more pro-life people are sympathetic to the Duggars to begin with, or at least the ones who post comments. I'm not sure it will change that many people's minds.

Yes, as a matter of fact the tide has turned. Before I had never really felt passionate about being pro-choice. It was more like, I am and I have a little button on my backpack, now what? And now? I've spent hours searching, learning, teaching myself about all aspects of abortion. I feel like I just did a damn research paper. And now, I will fight for the right to a woman's choice over her own body, no matter what choice that is. So congrats. Another radical feminist born.

Somehow I get the idea that this isn't what the anti-choice folks wanted...

And honestly, I think that most people are rational enough to see through the smoke and mirrors act going on here. The Duggars are not important enough to change people's minds on abortions. Possibly on the appropriateness of grieving the loss of miscarriage (a topic I had honestly never given much thought to before). I think that, in that aspect, it opened up a way for people to talk about a subject that is incredibly shunned in society. So let's say +1 to the Duggars for opening up conversation. However, the board is wiped clean when you consider that for all appearances, this is being done as a purely political move. So, it's a draw.

I'm sorry, the Duggars just aren't important enough to change the majority, if any pro-choice person's mind. Maybe a few undecided folks. But I just don't think they're that relevant.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/pro-lifers-the-tide-just-turned

This article irritated me. The author thinks that because people were sympathetic to the Duggars, everyone is now pro-life. I also think this is just the beginning of using Jubilee for anti-abortion propaganda.

I know a lot of people who are sympathetic to the Duggars because they lost a baby they really wanted.

That doesn't mean those same people aren't pro-choice, however.

...I can say with certainty: This would not have been the tenor of the conversation 10 years ago—or even five. Even as recently as 2006, there would have been a flood of “it’s just a fetus, who cares?†remarks, and the debate would have centered around whether the child was even worthy of a funeral.

The reason things have changed so much in the last 10 years is because people are increasingly aware that, to the parents and family of the miscarried fetus, it's not just a fetus. It's their fetus, their future baby and child, and that miscarrying a wanted pregnancy is heartbreaking.

Sure, there are still fuckwitted sorts who will tell grieving parents that they can always try for another, or at least they didn't lose a "real" kid, or at least it happened earlier on, or at least they didn't end up with a micropreemie. But there is increasing acceptance of the notion that those parents suffered a genuine loss--and you don't have to believe that a fetus is the same as a baby, or that life begins at conception to feel or show sympathy.

Hell, I'm sympathetic to poor, batshit Franki and her husband. I'm sympathetic to Jill Duggar, who may not have been Jubilee's mother but was obviously broken up over her loss. And I'd never scoff at anyone who chose to have a funeral following a miscarriage, if that's what helped them in their grief.

In other words, the sympathy is for the sentient, living people who are suffering, not the potential person who was lost. Too bad this guy's such a blastocyst-worshipper that he can't see it.

Archived