IGNORED

X-mas and "X-ing Christ out"

sippin0nsunshine

What do you guys think when you see/hear someone saying things like "X-mas is X-ing Christ out"? It irks me when people repeat this line without doing any research on the subject. :shock:

I was presented earlier by a friend saying this on Facebook and I just had to comment.

121d5rr.png

The last reply actually made me think of The Duggars and The Maxwells, In that they basically say "What I say is right, No need to look it up and have doubts about that"

Also ~ Hii I'm new, excuse me if my typing/grammar seems absolutely horrible.

I mentioned in another thread that I've been noticing many more people on Facebook writing Christmas as "CHRISTmas" in the course of conversations. It's like they are shouting.

I ignore them. If they can't be bothered to find out the historical significance behind "X" for Christ, then they are probably not people I have a lot in common with anyhow.

What do you guys think when you see/hear someone saying things like "X-mas is X-ing Christ out"? It irks me when people repeat this line without doing any research on the subject. :shock:

It indicates a lack of thought, curiosity and intelligence.

I got into this last year with countless people. This year it's all about Jesus's birthday. Ugh, I wish the people I knew had higher IQ's. Jesus wasn't born on Dec. 25th, but my SiL seriously bake a cake and write Happy Birthday Jesus on it. With candles. I was so tempted to be a bitch last year and ask why there weren't over 2k candles on it. Jesus doesn't approve of shorting him his candles.

I got into this last year with countless people. This year it's all about Jesus's birthday. Ugh, I wish the people I knew had higher IQ's. Jesus wasn't born on Dec. 25th, but my SiL seriously bake a cake and write Happy Birthday Jesus on it. With candles. I was so tempted to be a bitch last year and ask why there weren't over 2k candles on it. Jesus doesn't approve of shorting him his candles.

LOL THIS!!!

I so agree, as soon as I see someone saying the Christ in Christmas thing I quickly remind them he was not born even in this season, and that it was just the church overtaking a PAGAN Holiday by suddenly naming it Christ's birth!

Also I have a tendancy to write "Chrissy" for Christmas, not even realising I'm doing it or meaning anything by it. However I had one random lady total skitz out on me over the use of it, and told me how OFFENSIVE I was being... When I asked her if she knew what a colloquialism was, she never replied. I kept asking and she blocked me HAHAHAHA.

Stoopid Christ-ers.

I was presented earlier by a friend saying this on Facebook and I just had to comment.

The last reply actually made me think of The Duggars and The Maxwells, In that they basically say "What I say is right, No need to look it up and have doubts about that"

Also ~ Hii I'm new, excuse me if my typing/grammar seems absolutely horrible.

Welcome and - oh well, you did your best to educate your FB friends. Maybe it will sink in to someone. :)

This is why education is a Good Thing.

When I speak of folks who adopt behaviors of the Christ I use the capitol C. When I talk about religionists or just want to spare my arthritic paws some typing I use the X. If the dumbshits don't know why the X is acceptable its not my fucking problem. They could consider a real education vs the SODRT.

Welcome, slippin0onsunshine. I love your location!

Oh, and when things like this are first pointed out to me, I tend to say things like "Wow -- I never knew that -- that's really interesting, thanks!"

I've learned so much more by doing that, without hurting people -- what a concept, eh?

I also like to point out to people that it's only in English and a few other languages that the word for "Christmas" has "Christ" in it. In Romance languages it's related to the word for "birth". In German it's called "holy night". In Scandinavian languages it's named after an ancient solstice festival. So, yeah, the CHRIST in CHRISTmas is not universal.

It indicates a lack of thought, curiosity and intelligence.

This. I am not Christian, and even I know the X is just as valid as Christmas, or any of the other terms used around the world.

It is not even like it requires in depth research to find this out. Google would work.

Too much research might expose them to learn the 25th was chosen as the day to celebrate Jesus's birth not due to his birth on that day, but to try and replace a pagan celebration...and all sorts of other "scary" truths...and that could blow their minds!

I(briefly)studied with Jehovah's Witness and my study leader said that I should feel "angry and betrayed" to learn that Jesus wasn't born on December 25. I didn't say it, but I thought, "I thought almost everyone knew that!"

I also like to point out to people that it's only in English and a few other languages that the word for "Christmas" has "Christ" in it. In Romance languages it's related to the word for "birth". In German it's called "holy night". In Scandinavian languages it's named after an ancient solstice festival. So, yeah, the CHRIST in CHRISTmas is not universal.

^^ This.

I totally admit to using Xmas because I know it annoys a lot of people I am friends with

I just posted our Christmas pictures on facebook and titled the album "Happy Holidays from the XXXX" -- yeah, that will piss off more people than I can count. Tis the season, fuckers!!!!!

I have to say I've taken great joy in wishing those who go over the top with the 'Jesus is the reason for the season' a Happy Holidays! :twisted:

I really can't understand why its such a horrible thing that a store has its employees wish people a 'Happy Holidays'. Are they supposed to ask, are you Jewish, Jewish but get a visit from Santa, Muslim, Christian, Pagan, Atheist but celebrate Christmas with family or ????? so they can wish the appropriate greeting?

Well, of course they believe that everyone should be happy to receive a Merry Christmas and no other holiday matters. :roll:

Happy KwaHanYulMas!

and a Merry Festivus to the rest of us!

I just posted our Christmas pictures on facebook and titled the album "Happy Holidays from the XXXX" -- yeah, that will piss off more people than I can count. Tis the season, fuckers!!!!!

The sad thing is, at first I thought you meant the Xs would piss people off! Duh. I'm happy to be told happy holidays, don't consider it part of the war on xmas and don't know why it would piss me off! Anyway I want to know if you get any "Season's Greetings" back! :lol:

Now back to preparing for the feats of strength.

Happy KwaHanYulMas!

and a Merry Festivus to the rest of us!

I prefer "Chrismuhannukwanzaakah" myself. :lol:

I mentioned in another thread that I've been noticing many more people on Facebook writing Christmas as "CHRISTmas" in the course of conversations. It's like they are shouting.

Josh did this in his Instagram. Gosh is Josh a true Christian or what. Christ would be proud. ;)

Wow I actually had no idea about the roots of xmas...learn something new every day!

Now I've just gotta compile my list for the Airing of Grievances. Happy Festivus!

That is precisely why this song drives me up the wall. Thanks Taylor Swift!

aUYNm12nHw4

"So here's to the birthday boy who saved our lives"

I can't wait until Christmas is over for precisely two reasons. I will not have to hear Mariah Carey's "Here Comes Santa Claus" and I will not have to hear the horrendous "Christmas Must Be Something More" by Miss Swift. Having heard those songs constantly has made me very angry. Do some freaking research Taylor Swift. Or just go away.

I write x-mas all the time because I am lazy and can't take the trouble to write those extra letters. Like Treemom, I have to use it around those I know it will annoy.

p.s. Everyone is telling me "Merry Christmas" in stores this week. I thought "Happy Holidays" was in now? Maybe because I am in Gamestop every night this week they figure I am buying x-mas presents?(well, I am,but how do they know?)

Archived