IGNORED

What are you reading now/I need something new to read

lilwriter85

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm reading the 3rd book of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" books. It's called "A Storm of Swords". Right now it's a little bit boring because it's not about my favourite characters, but I can't wait to find out how everything will turn out in the end.

"Sisters in the Resistance" about women during the French Resistance. Ironically, the Vichy government (which collaborated with the Germans) is very much like some of out fundies.

"Sisters in the Resistance" about women during the French Resistance. Ironically, the Vichy government (which collaborated with the Germans) is very much like some of out fundies.

oh yeah absolutely! he implemented mother's day. Like Italy it was very focused on natality and motherhood.

I'm reading The Leftovers by Tom Perotta. It's about a rapture-like event, where people just disappear one day, and how everyone left behind deals with it. I've just started it, and have heard mixed reviews.

The kids and I are reading The Penderwicks, and we're about halfway through. I love it. It's written very much like the books I remember reading with my Mom, but very modern.

I'm re-reading "the dark is rising' series...and kinda re-reading Catch-22

and I'm reading "surrender the pink' by Carrie Fisher (I'm not sold yet. She can write but this book isn't evidence of it)

And I"m trying to re-read some STephen Jay Gould--but that's for work, maybe it doesn't count.

I just finished Imperfect Justice by Jeff Ashton (Casey Anthony prosecuting attorney).

^was this worth reading?

It's not something on my list, per se, but I was kinda intrigued.

(and I was wondering--did he write this eons ago and just published it once the verdict was out, or was it a rush/ghostwrite thing?)

I'm re-reading "the dark is rising' series...and kinda re-reading Catch-22

and I'm reading "surrender the pink' by Carrie Fisher (I'm not sold yet. She can write but this book isn't evidence of it)

And I"m trying to re-read some STephen Jay Gould--but that's for work, maybe it doesn't count.

^was this worth reading?

It's not something on my list, per se, but I was kinda intrigued.

(and I was wondering--did he write this eons ago and just published it once the verdict was out, or was it a rush/ghostwrite thing?)

My boyfriend is currently reading Imperfect Justice, it seems that it was rushed/ghost written book. I might read it later on.

Guest Anonymous

Imperfect Justice was written after the verdict, so he cranked it out within the last 4 months. I was a huge follower of the case and I watched the trial every day so a lot of the stuff in the book I knew about but there was some behind the scenes things in the book I thought were interesting regarding Cindy and George Anthony. Very, very dysfunctional family.

I love Bourdain. No Reservations is my favorite travel show ever.

I love that show, too. Got it in my Netflix streaming queue and it is one of my go to shows when I can't find anything to watch.

The book is very good, too. I think anytime I have the snotion that I might want to either cook in or open up a restaurant, I'll pick up this book to remind me how stupid an idea that was.

i'm only a couple of chapters away from the end of "the secret garden"! yay! it was so much better than i even remembered. srsly.

next up...either "the little princess" or machiavelli's "the prince". i've read "the little princess" before, but never read "the prince" and i've heard it's good, so...hmm, decisions, decisions!

Odd Hours by Dean Koontz.

I'm a big Koontz fan, just wish he'd finish the Christopher Snow "trilogy". Have you read them?

• 2 weeks later...

Winter break is coming up, and I have a feeling I'm going to be bored. Has anyone read anything interesting lately? For reading fiction, I personally like psychological thrillers, and funny stuff. For nonfiction, I like interesting political commentary, but I don't like it to be all "DEMOCRATS/REPUBLICANS FUCK YEAH!" I guess I like my political commentary somewhere in the middle. Anything about fundies would be interesting, too.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm not into owning books, but one volume I keep is "Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind" by Ann B. Ross.

"Skipping Christmas" by John Grisham is timely and excellent - another one I own!

"Pearl Harbor: FDR Leads the Nation Into War" sounds incredible:

http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Harbor-Lead ... 0465021395

I heard the author, Steven Gillon, interviewed yesterday. He's the first historian/writer ever to look at the 24 hours immediately after FDR heard about the bombing. I'd never considered it, before, but the USA had no idea what was coming next. Would the Japanese attack the West Coast? According to Gillon, FDR & his advisers figured it would be 3 weeks before the Japanese had captured Chicago!

As I said, I'm not oen to buy books and I'm surely like #835 on the library's waiting list for this. I might just break down and request it for Christmas!!!!

Happy reading, hope these helped at least give you some ideas!

Guest Anonymous

Alan Bennett is one of my all-time favourite British authors and playwrights. An Uncommon Reader is a wonderful introduction to his writing. It is a very short amusing fiction that you could read in a couple of hours, which begins when a mobile library visits Buckingham Palace and the Queen comes across it and begins an obsessional book-reading fest. It is a very funny observation on what might happen if a monarch were to begin to think for herself, and it touches on themes from all sorts of literature, along the way.

For more hardcore political commentary, but still with a slight comedic theme, I am a big fan of David Hare. His plays are best when performed, but I usually buy the scripts anyway. Stuff Happens is a play I enjoyed about the events (and the different perspectives of those in power) leading up to the war on Iraq.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest Gods of Greenwich by Norb Vonnegut. It's a financial thriller (if such a thing can be possible) about a hedge fund collapse. It was a pretty decent read, and I normally don't like that type of fiction (I'm more of a chick lit/romance/YA novel type person).

Combine humor and fundies! Read "Lamb: A Gospel According to Biff, Jesus's Childhood Friend"

One of the best books ever. Christopher Moore is genius.

Archived