IGNORED

What are you reading now/I need something new to read

lilwriter85

I feel for you! Whenever I`m in school, I miss reading for pleasure. :(

Ugh, me too. I have to read so much for school sometimes the last thing I want to do is read for fun, it hurts my eyes. I find the only way to get it in is to set aside just a few minutes before bed to read for pleasure. I was doing well on that last semester but this semester I have gotten into the habit of watching Gilmore Girls before bed. Oops. I did start reading "The New Canada: A Globe and Mail Report on the Next Generation" today because it is pretty light reading with giant font.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I started reading "Mort" by Terry Pratchett. Normally, I love Pratchett. The book is good. It prominently features Death, one of my favorite characters. But I just can't get into it. I'm not sure why. However, I very much recommend "Feet of Clay" and "Going Postal", the last two books I read.

My favorite is probably "Men at Arms."

To anyone who likes detective thrillers, I HIGHLY recommend John Connolly:

http://www.johnconnollybooks.com/

His Charlie Parker series is really unique, and very engrossing.

I read the first 4 or 5, my mom still reads them... I liked the character but I'm not into detective books anymore

Since I'm in the middle of semester, I haven't got much time to read currently, but I'm currently working my way through The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater Pretty good stuff. I may be a twenty-something, but due to the heaviness of most of my course readings, I tend to prefer lighter YA fare in my spare time.

Yes! I wanted to start a Games of Thrones, but it'S so dark, I can't read that before going o sleep, my day is usually depressing enough :shock:

My favorite is probably "Men at Arms."

Mine too! I absolutely love the Discworld books. 'Pyramids' is another favourite. One of the funniest books I have ever read.

I'm about to start 'A Study in Scarlet' by Arthur Conan Doyle. I'm a big reader (in both senses, alas) but have so far resisted Sherlock Holmes. However, the TV series has piqued my interest so I'm going to give it a try. It's short, more of a novella, so it shouldn't take long.

Also have to add to the chorus of approval for Christopher Moore. 'Lamb' is a great read.

I have been checking out from the library the Benjamin January series by Barbara Hanley. It's about a free black man in New Orleans 1830s. I really like learning about that period.

Does anyone on here have an e-reader (nook, kindle etc).

I get most of my material as 'free' books for these.

I've found a lot of fun books that I normally wouldn't have with the help of my handy dandy nook. :) Mostly YA stuff, but it's fun.

I'm re-reading The Rise of Renegade X. It's a lot more fun and better written than you'd think based on the synopsis (poor little teenaged supervillain has to go live with his superhero dad and his family, and life is just haaaaaaard). I bought it because I thought it'd be fun to mock, but it turned out to actually be good. And we don't get a sequel unless more copies are sold.

I WANT A SEQUEL.

I go to Goodwill every so often and browse. I read a lot and I only read junk. One of my friends calls it Brain Fuzz.

I love do Maeve Binchy. Her characters cross over from one novel to another. A major character in one might be a minor character in another. You really get to know the characters.

Also, Readers Digest has those books that contain 4 books. Lovely bath time reading.

I'm currently reading "The Anthropology of Childhood." It's very interesting but will probably take me a million years to finish since it's in real book form instead of an ebook, so I can't read it while putting the baby to bed :p

Oooo I just finished Mort. I just started Sorcery. I have to say I am enjoying the discworld series. Before this I finished off the all of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

Right now I'm reading Spirit and Flesh: Life in a Fundamentalist Baptist Church by Dr. James M. Ault Jr. It's a fascinating look into the life of fundie Baptists in the early 80s in Massachusetts written by a sociologist who eventually went on to make a documentary about the congregation he observed for three years. I would highly recommend it to FJers, it seems right up your guys' alley.

I've read that one, too. Very good. I love nonfiction about religion, especially books about outsiders going into religious communities and depicting what goes on inside.

Hello Kitty Must Die-Chinese American woman reunites with old friend from elementary school while shopping for a hymen replacement. Turns out he's a very quirky serial killer, ala Serge Storms. There's some formatting problems with the ebook, but it was free on Kindle and I really laughed out loud in places. Good insight into some social and cultural issues that kept her a virgin (she was 28).

I'm reading a book about Prussian kings right now, probably not a lot of fun if you're not a history geek.

My favorite book of the last couple of months was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Took me a bit to get into, but then it was great! I also liked 11.22.63 by Stephen King.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going back and forth between 3 -

Tell All - Chuck Palahniuk

Night Road - Kristen Hannah

I just picked up King Peggy - Peggielene Bartels & Eleanor Herman for my book club.

I'm currently reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. So far so good! It's about the woman that (unknowingly) provided the cells that became the HeLa line that helped develop the polio vaccine (and a lot of other things). And her family.

blurb because I suck at summarizing shit:

"The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks tells a riveting story of the collision between ethics, race, and medicine; of scientific discovery and faith healing; and of a daughter consumed with questions about the mother she never knew. It’s a story inextricably connected to the dark history of experimentation on African Americans, the birth of bioethics, and the legal battles over whether we control the stuff we’re made of."

Recently finished "Ready Player One" and loved it.

Also "Room" which is amazing.

Currently reading "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" alternated with "My Man Jeeves"

Just re-read The Future Homemakers of America by Laurie Graham. I love this book because apart from being a great story, it is obviously set fairly near to where I live and I like trying to work out which towns and villages the places might be based on.

Reading the Sookie Stackhouse novels, because I cannot wait for another season of True Blood. In addition to that, have been exposed to Neil Gaiman rather recently, and am stumbling my way through Neverwhere. Apparently, I should have read this as a teenager, not an almost 30-yr old. Ah well.

I can't believe a few pages back I said Looking for Alaska was 'just ok', lol. I now love John Green and am anxiously awaiting The Fault in Our Stars to arrive in my mailbox! I think because I read Looking for Alaska while on holiday and I didn't know about the context, who John Green is, or anything about the vlogbrothers. I just judged it as a $5 book I picked up in a bargain bin. Tsk tsk.

I just finished Paper Towns by John Green, and it was really good, though a few nit-picky things bugged me. Overall the premise for the story and the intricacy of the relationships were intriguing.

Anyway, I'm currently reading Jane Eyre and Great Expectations simultaneously, for my literature class.

Reading the Sookie Stackhouse novels, because I cannot wait for another season of True Blood. In addition to that, have been exposed to Neil Gaiman rather recently, and am stumbling my way through Neverwhere. Apparently, I should have read this as a teenager, not an almost 30-yr old. Ah well.

Can I recommend Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book and, especially, Good Omens (co written with Terry Pratchett)? Good Omens is one of the funniest books I have ever read. Don't read it in public :D

Can I recommend Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book and, especially, Good Omens (co written with Terry Pratchett)? Good Omens is one of the funniest books I have ever read. Don't read it in public :D

AMEN.

If I listed the 5 funniest books on the planet, I think it still tops it.

(Assuming I only included one book per author, the list would then go...Christopher Moore's "Lamb" as #2, Robert Rankin's "hollow chocolate bunnies of the apocalypse' as #3 [FWIW, it has precious little about end times and the bunnies aren't very important in the book. But run with it]), and Louis Sachar's "Dogs don't tell jokes" [Yes, it is a children's book]) as #4. #5 is where it gets hard, but for old-time sake, another kid's book, "Skinnybones" by Barbra parks" would probably round out my list)

Archived