IGNORED

What are you reading now/I need something new to read

lilwriter85

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

I just read this! It was fascinating.

Currently I'm reading Finding Angela Shelton, which I was only interested in because I saw her documentary (Searching for Angela Shelton). I'm not really enjoying it writing-wise, but the premise is interesting enough to keep me going (woman travels cross-country meeting women who share her name, and finding that the majority of them have also been abused).

Right now reading 'A False Sense of Well Being' by Jeanne Braselton, about a woman who spends an inordinate amount of time fantasizing about ways her husband might die, including murder at her hands. :lol: I'm alternating that with Llewellyn's 2012 Herbal Almanac. When I finish those two, the next book on my TBR pile is 'Catching Fire' by Suzanne Collins.

I just plowed through The Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson in two days. They're schlocky pulp fiction- but highly engrossing, fascinating and human. I hope they manage to come to an agreement and liberate the 4th book draft from Larsson's computer soon.

Right now, Ada or Ardor by Vladimir Nabokov. I'm a huge fan of his, but because it's exam time I sadly can't pay much attention to it. Read Nabokov when you have the time...

i'M currently 90% done w/ Vanity Fairy By Thackery.

I actually have liked it, but ZOMGS, he needs to finish the ddang story and tell me if she marries him or not.

(If I had to describe it on the fly, I'd say, if Jane Austin was a bit 'simpler', wittier and longer, w/ larger casts and more loose ends.)

I just finished Trouble by Jesse Kellerman. He's the son of authors Jonathan(love him!) and Faye Kellerman. I really enjoyed it, and will definitely be reading more of his stuff.

I'm currently reading David Carr's memoir "Night of the Gun: A Reporter Investigages the Darkest Story of His Life-His Own." I'm nearly finished, and it is totally riveting. Mr. Carr (who happens to be a New York Times reporter) is a brilliant writer. Mr. Carr also proves one can be messed up on drugs and alcohol, completely fuck up one's life, get help, recover and not turn into a bloviating right-wing "Christian"-yes, I'm looking in your direction, Barbara Curtis.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Night-Gun-Inv ... 1416541527

Just finished "Traveling Mercies" by Anne Lamott. Lovely stories and it's laugh-out-loud funny. Can't wait to finish Loren Eiseley's "The Immense Journey" - a collection of beautifully-written essays on nature and evolution - next!

I'm finally reading The Omnivore's Dilemma and ugh. I'm now to the part about industrial organic and ugh. I have said "ugh" enough? It's all so depressing. It's good to be informed and the reading is enjoyable, but...ugh.

Others have mentioned The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and I can also vouch for it. Fascinating book.

these non sequitur-ing spammers are cracking my shit up

Yeah, I can't quite figure out what the point of them is.

Bill Bryson - At Home.

Enjoying it very much. Bryson is always good for a light read and has a knack for making any topic he tackles interesting and amusing.

I have given up on Tell All. I just couldn't get into. Same for King Peggy.

For something completely different I am going to start The Book of Jhereg by Steven Brust.

I recently finished the 6 books that make up the 500 Kingdoms series by Mercedes Lackey. They are re-tellings of some of the traditional fairy tales, with a decidedly feminist twist- i.e. the heroines aren't simpering virgins stuck in a tower somewhere passively waiting for their prince to rescue them, instead they take control of their own destinies. I found the books to be quite good. They work as a series and as stand alone books. I would read the first book the Fairy Godmother first, and from there the order doesn't really matter. If you like Once Upon a Time or Grimm, these are worth checking out. In a similar vein, are the Enchanted Inc. books by Shanna Swendson- unfortunately they are mostly out of print and hard to find.

I just finished....

http://www.amazon.com/Misquoting-Jesus- ... 0060738170

Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why

by Bart D. Ehrman

It was great! I plan on writing up something about it for FJ.

I am currently reading....

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Pray-Love-Eve ... 294&sr=1-1

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia

by Elizabeth Gilbert

Good so far. I am mostly reading it so I can read the sequel, Committed.

• 2 months later...

"The Orphan Master's Son", the greatest North Korean love story ever written :)

I am very appreciated

If you say so. :roll:

I just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. About a wife who goes missing, and her husband is the prime suspect. A mystery/thriller I guess you'd call it. A very surprising plot twist about half way through. Very good.

Another one I liked that I read not too long ago was Defending Jacob. Written by a former prosecutor, about a prosecutor whose 14 y/o son is accused of killing a classmate. Again, some interesting twists and turns.

Right now, I'm re-reading The Satanic Bible, as well as several copies of Reason and National Geographic. My mom has been trying to get me into Charles Frazier, but I haven't gotten around to him yet. (He wrote Cold Mountain and Thirteen Moons.)

Summer is here and I have the brain energy (I don't think that's a phrase but w/e) to read for pleasure again! I just finished up a bunch of books. I read a book suggested on here, Unorthodox by Deborah Feldman, Drop Dead Healthy by AJ Jacobs, Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman by Robert Massie and The Handmaid's Tale. Now I just started Atlas Shrugged. I'm sure a lot of you on here have read Atlas Shrugged before. Does it ever pick up? I'm only on the second chapter but I am having trouble motivate myself to read it at this point. It's kind of boring and the characters are rather annoying. I think I just need to get farther into it to start enjoying it.

Ahem:

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves Orcs.â€

-John Rogers

That is all.

Summer is here and I have the brain energy (I don't think that's a phrase but w/e) to read for pleasure again! I just finished up a bunch of books. I read a book suggested on here, Unorthodox by Deborah Feldman, Drop Dead Healthy by AJ Jacobs, Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman by Robert Massie and The Handmaid's Tale. Now I just started Atlas Shrugged. I'm sure a lot of you on here have read Atlas Shrugged before. Does it ever pick up? I'm only on the second chapter but I am having trouble motivate myself to read it at this point. It's kind of boring and the characters are rather annoying. I think I just need to get farther into it to start enjoying it.

It's really weird for a communist, but I like (most of) Ayn Rand's fiction. The comrades tell me off for this, but I think it's because I am comfortable reading propaganda. At uni I used to read Chinese and Soviet propaganda novels all the time for recreational purposes.

The characters remain generally dislikeable, I'm sorry to say, but the story does pick up. It's a slow start. I do have to warn you about Galt's speech later in the book. It is a towering pile of boredom which is even worse for repetitiveness and sheer tedium than some of the lefty papers I've sold, which is saying something.

Is AS the first Rand you have read? The Fountainhead is an easier read (but do not if you are in any way triggered by rape scenes) and We the Living is actually possessed of literary merit. It has rounded characters and everything. Don't bother with Anthem though, it's shit.

Archived