IGNORED

What are you reading now/I need something new to read

lilwriter85

Thanks for all the recommendations! The only one I've read on this list so far was Quiverfull (which I liked a lot). I'll have to check some of these out! Thanks!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you like fiction, State of Wonder by Ann Patchett is really good, about a female scientist who goes into the Amazon rainforest to find a colleague. Actually, anything by Ann Patchett is great.

A Visit from the Good Squad by Jennifer Egan is a fun quick read about aging rock and rollers.

The Girls Who Went Away by Ann Fessler.

Ooh, excellent call. This book made me weep and weep- make sure you have a box of tissues!

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin. Hands down the best crime/pshycological thriller I've ever read.

if you want psychological thrillers, look no further than ted dekker. dude is amazeballs. the first book of his that i read was "thr3e" and i was like :o showdown was also excellent - prolly my fav of his that i've read so far - but you have to read the circle trilogy first to "get" some parts of it.

if you want psychological thrillers, look no further than ted dekker. dude is amazeballs. the first book of his that i read was "thr3e" and i was like :o showdown was also excellent - prolly my fav of his that i've read so far - but you have to read the circle trilogy first to "get" some parts of it.

I liked the Circle trilogy. (edited for spoilers)

Guest Anonymous

**Edited to remove quoted spoiler.

Oh goodie, itsthatonetroll. Must be the full moon. Pro-tip: If you don't want to be an asshole use the spoilers tag when you post spoilers.

Oh, sorry, I forgot I have to change my life in order for you to quit snarking on me. I do genuinely apologize for not using a spoiler tag. That was my bad.

Really though, Lissar, I don't understand for the life of me why you feel the need to be so unpleasant to me. But whatever.

Guest Anonymous
Oh, sorry, I forgot I have to change my life in order for you to quit snarking on me. I do genuinely apologize for not using a spoiler tag. That was my bad.

Really though, Lissar, I don't understand for the life of me why you feel the need to be so unpleasant to me. But whatever.

I'm unpleasant to you when you annoy me/do something asinine. You've been posting all over the place and this is the first time I've said anything to you. If you want to fix it, you can edit your post and put the spoiler tag in. Not for my benefit, never fear, but for the people that were looking for suggestions and might want to read the books without knowing who's going to die.

I'm reading the third book in the Southern Witch series by Kimberly Frost, called Halfway Hexed. My next book in the TBR pile is Seven Year Switch by Claire Cook.

switching back and forth between Red Gold: The Conquest of the Brazilian Indians by John Hemming and Life Itself by Roger Ebert (I got a signed copy :P)

I just finished Sanditon / The Watsons by Jane Austen, and when I fly home on Sunday, I'm going to begin Flowers in the Attic by VC Andrews. It won't be the usual fluffy airplane book, but I've been wanting to read it for a few years.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just started Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James. It's a continuation of Pride and Prejudice. Not a spoiler: Fitzwilliam and Lizzy have kept Lydia and Wickham at a considerable distance, but the Wickhams are back, someone is dead, and the Darcys must figure out what truly happened. James has kept Austen's voice, from what I can tell (I'm not a scholar by any means). No complaints, so far.

Edited because it's not Wickham who's dead.

The Hunger Games.

It's pretty cool, and I'm at the part where the Games are just about to begin.

Katniss is beginning to annoy me though.

Oooh, you just started it, I'm excited for you! Why is Katniss annoying you?

I've just started reading my way through Sarah Vowell's history books- I've got The Partly Cloudy Patriot and The Wordy Shipmates at home now, and Assassination Vacation and Unfamiliar Fishes on order with the library.

Oooh, you just started it, I'm excited for you! Why is Katniss annoying you?

I have limited tolerance for anyone who goes on about how rough they've had it, and this extends to characters.

It's like, ffs, you've cried me a river, now build a bridge so the author can write about you getting the fuck over it. I'm still at the beginning though, maybe Katniss will improve.

GO to your local Goodwill or other used store. Browse for stuff you don't normally read.

I got several Readers Digest BOoks recently with 4 books in each one. Lovely.

Just received my Hunger Games books from Amazon today. Will start reading during 4 day weekend.

I would recommend Lamb by Christopher Moore. Bossypants by Tina Fey. The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood.

Archived