IGNORED

What are you reading now/I need something new to read

lilwriter85

Divergent, by Veronica Roth. it's about a dystopian society where, at age 16, everyone must choose what to do with the rest of their life. I'm only about halfway through it, but really liking it so far.

Also, I second Bossypants by Tina Fey. And add anything by Chelsea Handler.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I read all 3 Hunger Games on my Kindle, and now have borrowed Moneyball for it and I bought Red Mist by Patricia Cornwall.

And Katniss didn't bug me nearly as much as Peetah. I was cheering for Finnick for a while during the Quell. God it was so annoying.

Have you heard about pixel of ink? They send an email every day with free books for your Kindle and reasonably priced ones as well.

http://www.pixelofink.com/

I love my Kindle, it's really one of the best gifts I have ever received. Never am without a book to read.

Katniss is beginning to annoy me though.

Better stop reading now, then. It's a dystopia, and she has had it rough. She's going to be complaining about it right through to the end of the series. I hope that doesn't constitute a spoiler....

If you like the author besides that, try her Underland Chronicles. Written for a lower age group (not that you'd know it from the death toll), but one thing the main character doesn't do is whine, justifiably or not.

Lamb is one of my all-time favorite books, it's hilarious.

Right now I'm reading Spirit and Flesh: Life in a Fundamentalist Baptist Church by Dr. James M. Ault Jr. It's a fascinating look into the life of fundie Baptists in the early 80s in Massachusetts written by a sociologist who eventually went on to make a documentary about the congregation he observed for three years. I would highly recommend it to FJers, it seems right up your guys' alley.

(I'm new btw, found my way over from TWOP a few weeks ago and have been obsessed ever since).

Just finished reading The Help yesterday.

On to Divergent by Veronica Roth today (not sure how I'll like it, it's another dystopian YA novel...and I don't think it will be nearly as good as the Hunger Games, but we'll see).

After that I'm on to Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey.

I recently finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (excellently written, great book) and Looking for Alaska by John Green (to me it was just another average YA novel, but some people (read: teenage girls) have said it changed their lives).

Better stop reading now, then. It's a dystopia, and she has had it rough. She's going to be complaining about it right through to the end of the series. I hope that doesn't constitute a spoiler....

If you like the author besides that, try her Underland Chronicles. Written for a lower age group (not that you'd know it from the death toll), but one thing the main character doesn't do is whine, justifiably or not.

I'm aware of it being a dystopian novel, and characters in dystopian novels having it rough. It's just weird how Katniss explains things- someone described it using tropes- "she seems to go from Wangst to Angst, What Angst every other page." That's how it's annoying.

I'm aware of it being a dystopian novel, and characters in dystopian novels having it rough. It's just weird how Katniss explains things- someone described it using tropes- "she seems to go from Wangst to Angst, What Angst every other page." That's how it's annoying.

Yes, I know, and it's not going to improve at any point in the trilogy.

Just started Red Mist by Patricia Cornwall. I've finished Veronica's Nap by Sharon BIaly and The Prayers of Agnes Sparrow by Joyce Magnin as well as The Secret Holocaust Diaries by Nonna Bannister. They were free to my Kindle. The Bannister one is about a Ukranian woman who was taken by the Nazis along with her mother to work as slave labor in factories during the war. Very interesting.

I recently finished My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult and it's STILL hanging with me...but I am moving on to The Green Mile...

ETA 1/18:...which omg is sooo much better than the movie and I thought the movie was pretty good. Tissues, please!

• 1 month later...

I just started The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. Creepiest opening ever.

No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream. Hill House, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding darkness within; it had stood so for eighty years and might stand for eighty more. Within, walls continued upright, bricks met neatly, floors were firm, and doors were sensibly shut; silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there, walked alone.

Since I'm in the middle of semester, I haven't got much time to read currently, but I'm currently working my way through The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater Pretty good stuff. I may be a twenty-something, but due to the heaviness of most of my course readings, I tend to prefer lighter YA fare in my spare time.

Ì just started A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. It`s good, but I loaded it onto my ereader & didn`t realize how bloody long it is. First chapter`s like 231 pages. Hopefully I have the attention span to finish it. It`s my mom`s favourite book, so I was expecting it to be really good, as she generally has really good taste in books. I think I`m just looking for somethng with a little more action right now.

Also, just finished Bram Stoker`s Dracula. I read it because it was a free ebook, and I`m soooooo glad I did. I liked it way more than I could`ve imagined. The writing is great.

Currently I'm reading "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian" by Sherman Alexie. So far it's very good, but Alexie's never written anything bad from what I can tell. My 10year old wants to read it which is why I started first. But I'm thinking middle school before she's ready for this.

I started reading "Mort" by Terry Pratchett. Normally, I love Pratchett. The book is good. It prominently features Death, one of my favorite characters. But I just can't get into it. I'm not sure why. However, I very much recommend "Feet of Clay" and "Going Postal", the last two books I read. (Yes, I usually have awful taste in books.)

I miss reading, I am back in school and it is taking up my reading time. Gah!

I feel for you! Whenever I`m in school, I miss reading for pleasure. :(

Archived