IGNORED

7 billion people fit into Jacksonville?

Swamptribe

I would really like to know how JimBoob came up with his calculations. Did he, or any ever actually do the math?

Jacksonville FL has a square millage of 874.3. Converted to square footage, that's 24374085120. Divide that by 7,000,000,000, which is the planets current population. That leaves, rounded off .3482 square feet per person.

This doesn't even cover the logistics of supplying 7 billion people with food, water, medical care and waste disposal. I mean, California, Colorado, Arizona and other states already are having fights over water supplies. New York City is having trouble finding places to dump it's waste. The stupidity of such a statement is just mind boggling.

dugger logic is yes you can fit them but they don't think about them actually living there. Remember when you believe Jesus road a dinosaur anything else that would interfere with that is far easier to dismiss.

Actually, you can't fit them in, not with about 1/3 of a square foot per person as space. You'd have to stack 'em like cord wood.

whats wrong with that?? :mrgreen:

when you have beliefs that don't fit reality you have to believe anything that supports it. You can't question it or it will fall apart. blind faith.

The other one I've heard, which at first glance perhaps sounds slightly more believable, is that the entire world population can live in Arkansas in single-family homes with front- and backyards. The two words they fail to mention? Carrying capacity.

The 7 billion people into Jacksonville thing is a Gothard teaching and it is true the world could fit into Jacksonville, but it wouldn't be sustainable and it would be crowded. The issue with fundies like Boob and others is that when it comes to overpopulation, they don't think about certain resources.

I would really like to know how JimBoob came up with his calculations. Did he, or any ever actually do the math?

Jacksonville FL has a square millage of 874.3. Converted to square footage, that's 24374085120. Divide that by 7,000,000,000, which is the planets current population. That leaves, rounded off .3482 square feet per person.

This doesn't even cover the logistics of supplying 7 billion people with food, water, medical care and waste disposal. I mean, California, Colorado, Arizona and other states already are having fights over water supplies. New York City is having trouble finding places to dump it's waste. The stupidity of such a statement is just mind boggling.

Actually, I think you're off by a decimal place; it should be 3.48 sq ft per person. So yes, they might literally fit in the space as long as everyone doesn't mind sitting/standing/curling in a ball :roll:

It's still incredibly stupid, for all the other reasons you listed.

Actually, I think you're off by a decimal place; it should be 3.48 sq ft per person. So yes, they might literally fit in the space as long as everyone doesn't mind sitting/standing/curling in a ball :roll:

It's still incredibly stupid, for all the other reasons you listed.

we are talking gothartd teaching though so stupid sums it up. and to follow it without thought or any idea if it is real is past foolishness.

The 7 billion people into Jacksonville thing is a Gothard teaching and it is true the world could fit into Jacksonville, but it wouldn't be sustainable and it would be crowded. The issue with fundies like Boob and others is that when it comes to overpopulation, they don't think about certain resources.

I've also heard it from Kent Hovind, creationist tax cheat extraordinaire.

I've also heard it from Kent Hovind, creationist tax cheat extraordinaire.

LOL. Not surprised that Kent would say that. I learned about Kent sometime back through the PP's blog and he was encouraging people to write to Kent in prison.

As I posted on TWOP and I'll post it here as well:

All the Duggars could fit into the bathroom in their old rental home. So why did they feel they needed to move to the 7000 square foot tinker toy house?

All the Duggars could fit into the bathroom in their old rental home. So why did they feel they needed to move to the 7000 square foot tinker toy house?

They had been working on that house for awhile before TLC came into the picture. I believe they owned the rental home and then sold it to a church and they stayed in the house and paid rent to the church.

How did they fit thirteen children into two bedrooms? Four double-under single-over bunkbeds? I did see 14 kids but I can't remember that detail.

Shelving units like the LIAS family? I wonder how they got around the 'problem' of girls and boys sharing a bedroom.

Lol. Yes, they really did need their new house then! Things will be a lot more crowded than that if they shove the whole world into Jacksonville.

How did they fit thirteen children into two bedrooms? Four double-under single-over bunkbeds? I did see 14 kids but I can't remember that detail.

I think so. The bunks that are now in the boys' room were in both rooms. Of course there were only 5 girls sharing one room, so they probably could have gotten by with 2 normal bunks plus a trundle or something. Even the boys probably could have done with 2 pyramid bunks plus some sort of trundle/daybed for James and Justin in the requisite pack n play.

We all just have to stand very, very still . . . :D

It's just the reverse of all of those "if you laid all of the _____________ (insert object here) used in _________________ (insert activity or industry here) end-to-end, they would circle the world __________ (insert number here) times" things. Just one of those "makes you think" things.

But, even if it is just the idiots trying to demonstrate how "tiny" they think the world population is, it doesn't negate the fact that they are ignoring the issue of resources.

Let's be fair. The world's population was only 6,000,000,000 something when he made that comment.

Yeah, I love how when people blabber on about how the world is not overpopulated, they never think about food, water, and clean air, and shit. The US might not be overpopulated as it is, but frankly I'm not excitedly waiting on it turning into China or India.

But hey, I care enough about people and their well-being to not wish endemic poverty and such on anyone. It must because I'm a heartless heathen. If I was a godly fundie, I would never get hung up about such things.

At the population density of the most populous parts of Chicago (30k per square mile, which is actually very comfortable since we're talking a good range of nice apartment buildings and most of the people in these neighborhoods take public transportation), human housing needs the land area equivalent of Texas, according to my math a few weeks ago the first time I saw this claim. It is true that humanity could be more efficient (less resources needed, especially energy resources, less pollution, and more arable land) with higher population densities, to be fair, though that doesn't mean that overpopulation in general is a good thing.

I do not see many Gothardites in the city, however. I think they are too scared of "different" people.

At the population density of the most populous parts of Chicago (30k per square mile, which is actually very comfortable since we're talking a good range of nice apartment buildings and most of the people in these neighborhoods take public transportation), human housing needs the land area equivalent of Texas, according to my math a few weeks ago the first time I saw this claim. It is true that humanity could be more efficient (less resources needed, especially energy resources, less pollution, and more arable land) with higher population densities, to be fair, though that doesn't mean that overpopulation in general is a good thing.

I do not see many Gothardites in the city, however. I think they are too scared of "different" people.

but Christians of the ilk that follow this crap will not give anything up. the very reason they follow this crap is so they can justify what they do.

Did the math on a calculator (with an online conversion tool go go from square miles to feet) so may have misplaced a decimal point somewhere. If someone could double check the actual maths for me t'would be much appreciated.

Humm, maybe next time he brings up the Jacksonville thing, somebody should bring up the 7,000 sq foot house on 20 acres question. Naw, they wouldn't allow anything that might make them look bad. Remember, it's all about control, control control.

That's something that has always annoyed me about the rabid religious types. Too often they seem to latch onto some trite little 'factoid' or quaint analogy without ever considering the full implications. In other words, a cute, comfortable saying is more important to them than those nasty facts and figures. Have always said there are two types of ignorance (as opposed to stupidity). The ignorance of someone who does not know the facts, or that doesn't have further information; and then someone who willfully doesn't want to understand, because it would blow their preconceived notions. The Duggars strike me very much as the 'willfully ignorant' types.

Archived