IGNORED

Loomii on film composers...

anniebgood

On their "Reflect Hymn" sight the Loomis family cites these modern composers as people to look up to:

We decided to add a few film composers to our links page. Jurgen Beck is a recent friend and Benjamin Botkin a older one. We are excited about the work that these men are doing in the arena of reforming film compositions.

When Ben Botkin scores a major motion picture that gets out to the general public I'll perhaps think of him as a composer. People like John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Randy Newman and his family, are composers that I consider prolific and accomplished. How do you reform film composition anyway?

:violin:

• Upvote 1

Well, I suppose you have to avoid tritones, as they are the devil's interval. :twisted:

No 6ths in groups of threes.

Perhaps a lot of 7ths? But only as leading tones, because we all know they can't be in a chord other than a V7. Also, no syncopation, unless it's somewhat Bach-inspired. Syncopation and 7 chords are used most often in jazz, harkening back to the music of Africa, which is the birthplace of Voudou.

And maybe in 3/4 time, because that would represent the Trinity.

I wish I was kidding, but I've heard all of these. Some of them come from medieval church rules, some from current fundie ideas of music.

Sigh.

*puts on AC DC Highway to Hell and rocks out* :character-beavisbutthead:

• Upvote 1

Yeah, can you imagine singing hymns in waltz tempo... oh wait, isn't that English Country Dancing too?

I've played her hymns and they are as stodgy and pedantic as any you'd find in a high Anglican service. No flights of fancy there. Too bad they haven't listened to Marty Haugen's Mass of Creation and it's joyous sound.

Well, I suppose you have to avoid tritones, as they are the devil's interval. :twisted:

No 6ths in groups of threes.

Perhaps a lot of 7ths? But only as leading tones, because we all know they can't be in a chord other than a V7. Also, no syncopation, unless it's somewhat Bach-inspired. Syncopation and 7 chords are used most often in jazz, harkening back to the music of Africa, which is the birthplace of Voudou.

I wish I was kidding, but I've heard all of these. Some of them come from medieval church rules, some from current fundie ideas of music.

Sigh.

:lol: :clap:

I love explaining diabolus in musica to my students.

• Upvote 1

I went to Ben Botkin's blog and listened to some stuff. I was actually very surprised by the stuff he's doing for Ace Wonder: Message For a Dead Man. It sounded pro to me.

(let's see if I can link this correctly)

benbotkin.com/2011/05/ace-wonder-production-post-2/

What do we know about this movie? It's not a Botkin family production right? I went to the Facebook page and the admin says some pretty syrupy things about Ben.

EDIT - Message From a Dead Man, not For a Dead Man.

EDIT 2 - Never mind, I figured out the film is not a Botkin film. It's by John Robert Moore and Kyle Prohaska. facebook.com/acewondermovie

Speaking of which!

I'm dawdling to avoid soemthing I don't wanna do and decided to check out this Jurgen Beck fellow. Go to his page (linked from Loomii Central) and click on the 4-H Of Wisconsin ad. Featuring:

Beth Serven Ten Dolle

Joshua Titus (Jay Teef) Phillips

and more boys than girls, but who's surprised at that?

This bunch is, indeed, all over each other.

OK, this iis me, signing off and doing what's got to be done. See you down the trail. ;)

Fundies seem so quick to hang out a shingle and call themselves "experts" when they have barely dabbled in something. I've been a writer for over ten years, writing at both the collegiate and professional level, and I am only beginning to consider myself a journalist and a member of the media.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of which!

I'm dawdling to avoid soemthing I don't wanna do and decided to check out this Jurgen Beck fellow. Go to his page (linked from Loomii Central) and click on the 4-H Of Wisconsin ad. Featuring:

Beth Serven Ten Dolle

OK, this iis me, signing off and doing what's got to be done. See you down the trail. ;)

And -- mercy!! -- scenes of children pulling books off the shelves and using computers in what appears to be an eebil gummint public or school library!!! Better watch out, they might start getting...ideas... :-o

(Edited because I haven't had any coffee yet...)

• Upvote 1

Guest Anonymous
I went to Ben Botkin's blog and listened to some stuff. I was actually very surprised by the stuff he's doing for Ace Wonder: Message For a Dead Man. It sounded pro to me.

(let's see if I can link this correctly)

benbotkin.com/2011/05/ace-wonder-production-post-2/

What do we know about this movie? It's not a Botkin family production right? I went to the Facebook page and the admin says some pretty syrupy things about Ben.

EDIT - Message From a Dead Man, not For a Dead Man.

EDIT 2 - Never mind, I figured out the film is not a Botkin film. It's by John Robert Moore and Kyle Prohaska. facebook.com/acewondermovie

The pity of it is that if this kid does have any genuine talent, he will never get to truly exercise it as long as he remains under Daddy's thumb. He would have been better off attending a real conservatory, where he could hone his abilities, make professional connections and acquire the credentials to be taken seriously.

Speaking of which!

Beth Serven Ten Dolle

Jinkies! And it keeps getting better. I tried to figure out more about this guy and the trail started going in circles. Jurgen Beck composed the 4H ad thing with Joshua Phillips in it produced by Phillip Leclerc. Phillip Leclerc also is the director of the Divided documentary. A google search later, Shazaam! Turns out Peter Bradrick produced that movie under the direction of Scott Brown. eventbloggers.com/2010/10/producer-peter-bradrick-takes-the-stage-with-the-divided-documentary-team-at-the-2010-saicff/

Then I wonder "What else has Jurgen done?" So I go back to his site..........Zing! He made the music for Jimmy Valiant: Scions of Danger. Made by none other than a well known vision forum intern! www.visionforum.com/about/opportunities ... id=darnell

Lastly I see on Jurgen's site 'The Penny'. I've never heard of The Penny before, I didn't think, until I saw the picture of himself with the director Nathan Webbster. Then I recognized him from the Ace Wonder video I saw yesterday. Apparently he's a big part of that project. youtube.com/watch?v=vQBVTmpf4EU

And finally looking up Phillip Leclerc for more info on him I saw that he recently married Esther Zimmerman in Alaska (thanks freejinger!). So I go digging a little more and find that her brother Tait Zimmerman is a graduated intern of VF just like Nathaniel Darnell. So I search for 'tait zimmerman vision forum intern' on google and search result number six is John Moore's blog from 2006. He doesn't say much about him other than that he didn't get a picture of him (??) but it's still creepy.

I feel so accomplished now!

They're all in bed with one another, one way or another...it's a "closed system."

• 8 years later...
On 6/26/2011 at 1:42 AM, GolightlyGrrl said:

Fundies seem so quick to hang out a shingle and call themselves "experts" when they have barely dabbled in something. I've been a writer for over ten years, writing at both the collegiate and professional level, and I am only beginning to consider myself a journalist and a member of the media.

I suspect that's to do with education. The more education you have, the more you can see that you actually don't know very much at all. People who have very little knowledge of a field also often have very little understanding of how vast the field is and how much there is to know.

Since fundies tend to be homeschooled and denied tertiary education, their contextual understanding is going to be pretty low, so a little knowledge seems like a lot to them.

• Upvote 1