IGNORED

Lurker primer?

snarkbillie

I've been lurking for a while, too long in fact. I don't know what you mean by STORDIT (I forgot the real letters...) and ITA and ETA and QF and ATI and a lot of other things.

Help me out here, please!

Welcome! I don't know them all, but here's what I can translate for you:

SOTDRT = School of the Dining Room Table (i.e. homeschooling)

ITA = I totally agree

QF = Quiverfull

ATI = Advanced Training Institute (ati.iblp.org/ati/)

I always interpret ETA as "estimated time of arrival," but others may mean something different.

I'll do what I can!

SOTDRT = school of the dining room table

ITA = I totally agree

ETA = edited to add

QF = Quiverfull

ATI = Advanced training institute (Bill Gothards thing)

I really think we need an acronym and fundie nickname guide! But, welcome to FJ.

Thanks so much! I think ETA *might* mean "edit to add" judging from the context, but I don't want to guess.

I would have never figured out the school of the dining room table thing, LOL. There are so many conferences and things I thought it was one of those.

Oh, and with some of the non-FJ specific acronyms I like to rely on urbandictionary.com because I am so very behind on acronyms, text speak, and anything like that, which is quite sad.

Oh, and with some of the non-FJ specific acronyms I like to rely on urbandictionary.com because I am so very behind on acronyms, text speak, and anything like that, which is quite sad.

I do that too, which is how I found out "QFT" meant "quoted for truth"

Here's an FJ specific one: "riffles" means somebody made typos. It's based on Kendal (I think) who was trying to write the word "rifle" and wrote "riffle" instead.

TTC = Tater Tot Casserole

J'slaves = The Duggars' older daughters

Smuggar = Josh Duggar

Howlers = The younger Duggar children

Frumpers = Jumpers worn by fundie women

Re: SOTDRT - I do think it needs to be said that it's not homeschooling in general, but really poor homeschooling that many of the fundies we talk about seem to take pride in. The kids are relegated to the dining room table and forced to do workbook after workbook, never given the chance to explore interests beyond whatever their chosen curriculum states, and when they graduate (usually around the age of 16), they certainly aren't prepared to exist in a world outside the the 4 walls of their dining room.

Hi there! Since this thread is from a lurker, I thought it would be a good opportunity to de-lurk as well. I've been reading FJ for a few months now, and really enjoy it. It's great to find a forum with people who have similar opinions and interest in fundie-dom. I originally discovered this topic by watching the Duggars, which led to a strange interest in the weirdness of QF, and its impacts on society.

Take care!

TT - Taliban Tony (aka Lina's husband Anthony)

One I am not sure of; AFIK - is that As far as I know?

Add me to the "delurker" list tonight. I found this site via the Duggars recent announcement; there was a comment on the site and I googled a term that hit my giggle button, et voila, here I am. :lol:

Thank you for the SOTDRT deconstruction, that one has been making me :?: .

I'll join the delurker bandwagon. Found you guys about a year ago through (I believe) Razing Ruth (can't remember how I found HER blog). Started reading again after the recent Duggar "news". WTF is wrong with these people?

Thanks for the userguide to acronyms!

Don't forget frumpers, a made up word to describe fundie dress because so many wear jumpers.

Welcome to all the new delurkers. Enjoy.

I'll join the delurker bandwagon. Found you guys about a year ago through (I believe) Razing Ruth (can't remember how I found HER blog). Started reading again after the recent Duggar "news". WTF is wrong with these people?

Thanks for the userguide to acronyms!

I found Razing Ruth at the TWOP forums. I started reading there because of the death of Lydia Schatz when I read about the connection with Michael Pearl and the Duggars.

I found Razing Ruth at the TWOP forums. I started reading there because of the death of Lydia Schatz when I read about the connection with Michael Pearl and the Duggars.

Totally possible that I found her at TWOP. Then I read her story, just heartbreaking. I grew up with no religion, so it's always fascinated me, from a purely academic pov. Especially the extreme/fundamentalist/cult-ish type of beliefs.

I guess I should intro myself a bit. Grew up in a Gothard house, ran away as a teen (had to be done!), met my husband (wonderful man, respects me as a human being), settled into mainstream conservative-ish Christianity (although I'm politically liberal), home-school my kids (for academic reasons! the schools here in the Bible belt are made of fail and horribleness.), etc.

I'm a hot mess.

I watch the Duggar show to show my husband that people really DO grow up like I did. He thought I made up my childhood out of a dystopian novel, LOL.

Archived