IGNORED

Fun Morton Stuff

onlyorganic

I was bored today and looking at goodies from Cap'n Brett (would have been even better if I had some Coca-Cola and Cap'n Morgan) but I found this video on YouTube of Michael and Kressant's wedding (parts). I tried to listen to the message but it's very Taryn-ish. I have NO idea what the Cap'n is gettin' at here but you can see the lovely couple dancing to... that dance they do in "The Sound of Music". ;) This is the first time I've ever been defrauded by that one brother.

youtube.com/watch?v=nXQFJZWIXao

So, in a curious state I looked at some old wedding posts and found that Katie actually *washed her husband's feet* at their wedding. I about died laughing because my husband teases me about my love for fundie-blogs and will say things in jest like "Get ova' here and wash my feet, woman!" I'd never heard of this before, but my husband claims that fundie women keep their hair long to wash Jesus' feet...

mortonclan.blogspot.com/2006_04_01_archive.html (feet washing is about halfway down the page)

Oooh yes. Somewhere out there (they moved it from its old spot) there's video of Katie washing the feet. The video quality is awful and there's blaring music over some speakers - it's hilarious. The entire video of Kressant's wedding is stiflingly boring until they get to the wedding bits, mostly entertaining because the guys are jumping over fences and going through backyards in their wedding clothes, if I remember. And the girls (young Darth included) are having the vapors over the excitement. Dammit, now this is making me want to hunt down the whole things again.

EDIT: Ooh, I see some of that is in the preview. But the whole thing is really over-the-top.

Jackpot! I still can't find the homebirth video, but at least I found the full betrothal-wedding videos. Okay, go to e6-4dotcom. Then from the menu at the top, click "learn more." Then "biblical betrothal." Then on the next page, on the right, click "watch videos about biblical betrothal." You'll find the surprisingly-better-quality trailer that they're hoping to sell to oprah, and then at the bottom you can click on the various full-length films. Katie's feet-washing is in the "10 steps," I do believe (I am checking now).

Jackpot! I still can't find the homebirth video, but at least I found the full betrothal-wedding videos. Okay, go to e6-4dotcom. Then from the menu at the top, click "learn more." Then "biblical betrothal." Then on the next page, on the right, click "watch videos about biblical betrothal." You'll find the surprisingly-better-quality trailer that they're hoping to sell to oprah, and then at the bottom you can click on the various full-length films. Katie's feet-washing is in the "10 steps," I do believe (I am checking now).

They used Florence and the Machine for the preview at the top?!! What?!

Beth reminds me of every cheerleader I've ever seen.

Does anyone know where/how all this BS started? Where did it come from? Who originated the ideas that these crazies expound upon in such a sane way? Or, is it all a result of the whole interpreting the bible for yourself thing?

The more I see the more appalled I become. Honestly. This shit isn't even snark material. This is no better than tyrannical dictators ruling countries; cults, horrible, in secure, power hungry men who never grew up and need to control every aspect of their surroundings.

Ah, I see you've been listening to what the Cap'n has to say. Pretty horrific, isn't it? In a way, I almost appreciate Bret because he puts the crazy out there for all to see; you can't make excuses about it or look the other way. Then on the other end of the spectrum is the Mortons, who look so sweet and gentle, and then Papa Morton casually mentions something terrible, like the fact that Katie had never made a decision in her life and when he threw the courtship thing in her lap, it "nearly incapacitated her." I honestly wonder what, if anything, he'd changed by the time Darth started her courtship, or if he plans to do anything differently with the other two girls. The boys may be victims just as much as the girls in this movement, but at least they don't become paralyzed when they try to make life decisions.

Ah, I see you've been listening to what the Cap'n has to say. Pretty horrific, isn't it? In a way, I almost appreciate Bret because he puts the crazy out there for all to see; you can't make excuses about it or look the other way. Then on the other end of the spectrum is the Mortons, who look so sweet and gentle, and then Papa Morton casually mentions something terrible, like the fact that Katie had never made a decision in her life and when he threw the courtship thing in her lap, it "nearly incapacitated her." I honestly wonder what, if anything, he'd changed by the time Darth started her courtship, or if he plans to do anything differently with the other two girls. The boys may be victims just as much as the girls in this movement, but at least they don't become paralyzed when they try to make life decisions.

I can't get the video to play past that part with Katie and her indecisiveness. How crazy is the rest of the video?

Actually, I had the same problem, with it freezing. It's been a long time since I saw the entire thing, but iirc, Bret blathers on during Kressant's betrothal ceremony (apparently no one thought to film Katie and Alan's) and then they show footage from Katie's wedding. The trumpet playing is terrible, and there's horse-riding, and then the foot-washing, of course. I *think* there might be dancing? And the audio/film quality is pretty bad - that's what really stands out in memory during the foot-washing sequence. If you read Addie's blog entry, it makes it seem like this solemn, beautiful, loving moment, but on film you're just wondering what is that MUSIC that is playing so loudly and it seems much more artificial. I expect much of their lives (and that of, say, the Botkins) is that way.

Jesus washed his DISCIPLES' feet. If the bride and groom are supposed to represent the church and Christ, then Alan should have washed Katie's feet. The post said this act was meant to represent her " helpmeet" status. Does this mean Jesus was a helpmeet? Uh-oh. I'm seeing some logic flaws here.

This is one fallacy of patriarchy. All the glorious parts of the Bible are applied to men and all the shameful/submissive attributes to women, regardless of who actually embodied them, and what their metaphorical role was according to patriarchy's own definition.

Jesus washed his DISCIPLES' feet. If the bride and groom are supposed to represent the church and Christ, then Alan should have washed Katie's feet. The post said this act was meant to represent her " helpmeet" status. Does this mean Jesus was a helpmeet? Uh-oh. I'm seeing some logic flaws here.

This is one fallacy of patriarchy. All the glorious parts of the Bible are applied to men and all the shameful/submissive attributes to women, regardless of who actually embodied them, and what their metaphorical role was according to patriarchy's own definition.

+1

Really if they wanted to demonstrate loving your wife and Christ loved the church Alan should have done it

I'm seeing some amazing fanfiction ideas here.

Archived