IGNORED

Trace Bates 3

samurai_sarah

Did you notice that Michael turned and left the room after congratulating Trace. The camera panned around and she'd  disappeared.

I don't blame her

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 4

30 minutes ago, Sops2 said:

Did you notice that Michael turned and left the room after congratulating Trace. The camera panned around and she'd  disappeared.

I don't blame her

I think some of the siblings have said they tell Michael first before the family. Since she deals with infertility. I think those were sisters who tell her first. But this is a brother. So maybe this was the first she heard the news. 

1 hour ago, Hazelbunny said:

Mum now speaks German fluently, but at the beginning after moving here, she said she always felt as if everybody was angry with her, because (to her ears) German sounded so harsh compared to English.

Haha I’m an American immigrant in Germany and despite having learned German it’s really easy to feel this way! Not just because of the language but also the fact that people in customer service or public-facing positions don’t smile or acknowledge you while you’re waiting and in general don’t display any kind of feeling of shared humanity with the public 😅. At first I thought it was me but then I saw they’re also like this to other Germans!

1 hour ago, Hazelbunny said:
Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Hazelbunny said:

Very interesting discussion! (Dad German, Mum Welsh, lived in Germany all my life) Mum now speaks German fluently, but at the beginning after moving here, she said she always felt as if everybody was angry with her, because (to her ears) German sounded so harsh compared to English. She then learned it as quickly as possible so she could understand what they were saying. We children were raised bilingual, fluent in both languages. (I remember switching to English in my German A-Levels mid Exam and having to rewrite a whole page - so annoying!) 

did your mum speak Gaelic also? 

1 hour ago, Sops2 said:

I don't blame her

No babies born into this cult, yes yes 

Women's heart hurts for her still. 

• I Agree 1

22 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

did your mum speak Gaelic also? 

Only a little. She had Welsh in school, but as she doesnt use it she has forgotten most of it. She took Welsh and French. She is good at languages. She always jokes that if she had known she would end up marrying a German she would have chosen German instead ..... :D 

• Love 4

I had lunch at a cafe in Inverness a few years ago, and the waitress had the thickest Scottish accent I'd ever heard. I couldn't make out a word of what she was saying. 

Not exactly the same as differing German dialects, but it's so interesting to attempt have a conversation with another native speaker of your language and still not be able to communicate.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

@Nothing if not critical @irish_dancing_canadian Kul att ni lärt er svenska :)(Yes, I'm Swedish). 

Swedish, English and German are really closely related and if you know one of them, the other two aren't too difficult. Most of my English speaking friends says that the hardest part about learning Swedish if you move here is that most people are fluent in English and just start speaking that language to make you feel more comfortable. So they don't get enough time to practice their Swedish skills. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

There are also varying degrees of dialect. Speaking the proper language but you can hear a certain twang to pinpoint where someone comes from. Additionally using a few words that make it more obvious. Full dialect is sometimes hard to understand. Germany has about 50 dialects. But one dialect can also sound VERY different just 10km down the road. Example: the common ending of town/city/village names -heim can be turned into -(n)a and a few kilometres further people turn it into -(sch/n)i. Which all sound nothing alike. You can always tell the original “head” dialect but if you don’t know you could easily be let to believe they talk about different places. I am sure that’s the same for most languages though. 
Most people that speak dialect can speak proper German just with a little twang. Which I also noticed in British people. They often speak two or more versions of their language, and one being Standard. 
I think it’s only polite to learn a bit of conversational vocabulary so you can follow a basic conversation and chime in once or twice. I don’t think people expect you to become fluent if you don’t live in the country as well.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, xenobia said:

Kul att ni lärt er svenska :)(Yes, I'm Swedish). 

Tack så mycket! 🤗

It’s honestly such a fun language to learn and I love that there’s so much interesting literature to practise my reading. And yes, I agree - the biggest challenge is to get any Swedish people to talk Swedish to me. I’ll never stop being amazed at how well everyone speaks English (and sometimes even German!) in the Scandinavian countries.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I’m getting boy vibes from the ultrasound pics. 

I always hope they have boys. Always better to be born a boy in that cult. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

16 minutes ago, irish_dancing_canadian said:

I always hope they have boys. Always better to be born a boy in that cult. 

As we can see with the Bates boys, they have so much more freedom. So yes, boy is always good. 

• Upvote 4

On 3/14/2023 at 8:57 AM, Scrabblemaster said:

My best friends mum is from that area and when she talks in that typical dialect, I do not understand 90 percent of her words. My friend does not speak the dialect but understands most of it. 

My husband grew up in the Erzgebirge...hold my beer 😄

Edited by Shouldabeenacowboy
  • Haha 8

Great, so now that I adopted Lydia as my pet fundie, they made that video with the bike advertisement in it. And I HATED it. The rest of the video was okay, but that bike part was absolutely annoying. Trace was so over the top. Damn they must have been paid a lot to be so enthusiastic about these bikes. Something rubbed me the wrong way, I can't exactly say what it was.

Edited by Scrabblemaster
  • I Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Scrabblemaster said:

Great, so now that I adopted Lydia as my pet fundie, they made that video with the bike advertisement in it. And I HATED it. The rest of the video was okay, but that bike part was absolutely annoying. Trace was so over the top. Damn they must have been paid a lot to be so enthusiastic about these bikes. Something rubbed me the wrong way, I can't exactly say what it was.

My pet fundie is her pet, Maui. 

And if I had a cat named Maui, I would nickname him Meow-ie.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 7
  • Love 2

15 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My pet fundie is her pet, Maui. 

And if I had a cat named Maui, I would nickname him Meow-ie.

When my cousin was like 5 or 6 YO, my aunt decided to adopt a kitten. My cousin was allowed to name her. Meowling. Meowling lived a good long kitty life until she was 17 or 18, but her name always made me laugh.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 7

8 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

When my cousin was like 5 or 6 YO, my aunt decided to adopt a kitten. My cousin was allowed to name her. Meowling. Meowling lived a good long kitty life until she was 17 or 18, but her name always made me laugh.

The name Meowling reminds me of the Pokémon "Meowth" 😅 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

We had a neighbor cat named Meowsie. He lived near a pizza place. If you were bringing out a pizza he would be like, “oh hey! What have you got there?!” Hoping for a snack. He was the cutest stinker. 

• Love 3

Duggar Data says based on ultrasound dates, Lydia is due Sept 26.  Normally, I'd find the next part a little weird, but, If your baby is due on September 26, 2023, intercourse was likely between December 27, 2022 and January 2, 2023. This only further supports my earlier theory that Lydia got a ton of pressure and comments over the holidays about not being pregnant "yet" and was just like "f it"

If Trace and Lydia got married 1 October 2022, they likely conceived in her third cycle. That's not unusual at all, particularly if they weren't tracking ovulation and timing it with her most fertile days, but just did it when they felt up for it. I don't think there was pressure for her to get pregnant, and they gave in, I think they just happened to conceive in her third cycle.

• Upvote 3

The time between Christmas and New Years is well known for being a good time to make babies. That’s why there are so many Virgos in the world.

• Upvote 1

In today's YouTube video, they said they are having a hospital birth, have a boy name picked for sure and a couple girl names going back and forth on, morning sickness and tiredness, not moving, just clearing out the cat's room for the baby, not getting rid of the cat, gender reveal is March 31. Video of gender reveal should be up April 1. Trace was a home birth, apparently Lydia's mom had a homebirth after several successful hospital births. They are not comfortable to have a home birth on the first pregnancy. She is hoping for natural but will consider epidural depending how it goes... and how long it goes. They are shilling some No Cow protein bar in the video as well. 

Edited by gobucks
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thank You 5

They also mentioned they hope to teach the baby both English and German, but Lydia admits her German is a little unpracticed. Also, the name they choose will be German enough for her family in Germany to not have any issues pronouncing it, but not so German they would get teased in America.  

For the boy name, I’m thinking William- Bates family name and easy German translation. 

• Upvote 1

My parents chose names for us three, that are pronounced basically the same in both English and German (Mum Welsh, Dad German) something like for example Anna, Tim, Elli  (I think they spent quite a while going through names, until they had found names they liked and that wouldn't be butchered by either side of the family...) I guess they could have gone with French names, as my parents met in Lausanne..... :D 

• Upvote 3

For some reason, I thought Liam so it is interesting that someone else thought William. I just looked it up.. Trace's middle name is Whitfield. I wonder if they will use that at all. 

Edited by gobucks

• Coconut Flan locked this topic