IGNORED

Ketanji Brown Jackson

47of74

The confirmation hearings to have Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson on the Supreme Court will happen in the near future.

Republicans will probably stoop to the same level they always do if their behavior last year is any indication

Supreme Court confirmation hearings are often more a forum for primetime senatorial grandstanding and culture war skirmishes than a process for eliciting useful information from the nominees. That’s likely to be even more true when the Senate Judiciary Committee convenes to consider President Joe Biden’s eventual nominee to replace retiring Justice Stephen Breyer. After all, some Republicans have already said they won’t support anyone Biden nominates—especially if he follows through on his pledge to nominate the court’s first Black woman. “This new justice will probably not get a single Republican vote,” Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) told a local radio show after suggesting that a Black woman nominee would be a “beneficiary” of “affirmative racial discrimination.”

For a preview of how all this might play out in a confirmation hearing, Republican senators’ treatment of DC Circuit Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson, one of Biden’s Supreme Court shortlisters, offers some clues. Jackson appeared before the Senate Judiciary Committee last April after Biden nominated her to replace now–Attorney General Merrick Garland on the powerful DC Circuit Court of Appeals.

After taking office last year, Biden promptly nominated Jackson to the DC Circuit, a court that’s been a stepping-stone to the Supreme Court for several justices, including Brett Kavanaugh, Clarence Thomas, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Scalia, and Chief Justice John Roberts. Given the current political climate, Jackson’s April confirmation hearing was fairly demure, with Republican senators trying to be on their best behavior for the cameras and only occasionally failing.

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.), for instance, wanted to know if Jackson, who had by then been a federal district court judge for eight years, had ever participated in a riot. “Since becoming a legal adult, have you participated in any rallies or demonstrations where you or other participants have willfully damaged public or private property?” he asked.

• Upvote 6

Yeah Jimmy Kimmel had a few things to say last night about the GQP subtle racist jamboree

• Thank You 4

She said no John.

This is peak old white man, refusing to listen to a woman saying no. (Re: her refusal to be bated into giving political opinions.)

Edited by Destiny
  • Upvote 7

Y'all. Y'ALL. I many not survive the day if I have to listen to Grassley whine. My head will explode.

• I Agree 5

Cancun Cruz' props were so on brand for him.  The guy actually thought having a big blowup of a picture book was a good idea.  Then again, he thinks sporting mutton chops is a good idea.  

• Haha 8

I'm going to die of a massive head explosion. It's going to happen. Lindsey Graham is going to be my murderer.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, AlmostSavedAtTacoBell said:

Cancun Cruz' props were so on brand for him.  The guy actually thought having a big blowup of a picture book was a good idea.  Then again, he thinks sporting mutton chops is a good idea.  

Don't forget his bacon recipe. :violence-rambo:

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Don't forget his bacon recipe. :violence-rambo:

I actually DID forget about his bacon recipe! 

I deeply respect how she has kept her composure and has been absolutely handling the childish theatrics with intelligent responses, but I really wanted to see her snap out “Miss Jackson if you’re nasty” at one of those jackasses. My personal pick would be Cruz because I can never get enough of seeing him humiliated, but I’d give that joy up if it saves @Destiny from an untimely death. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

Y’all, my neighbours almost certainly think I’m a crazy person because I’ve yelled “fuck you” far more times than is probably usual today. She’s clearly a far superior person than me. 

On a good note though some fuckwit was being an asshole while I was running 6.5K at lunch this afternoon and he pissed me off so badly that I did a personal best because of rage. 

While I’m here, FUCK YOU TED CRUZ!

• Upvote 7
  • Love 6

Thanks to Marsha Blackburn and whatever lying grandma she was talking to this afternoon, I got another personal best. BULLSHIT they don't scream at and harass women going into PP. I know for an absolute fact that they do because they did it to me at 19 when I went to a PP for BC.

Lying misogynist asshole, party of two.

• Upvote 6

On 3/24/2022 at 10:18 AM, GreyhoundFan said:

image.thumb.png.258037463efd38161710701669b79624.png

Along with saying wow this Senator is such a fucking idiot to herself over and over. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Susan "Concerned"Collins says she will vote to confirm KBJ.   I'm concerned she will back out.

• Upvote 4

Vote was even on KBJ so it goes to a full Senate vote soon.  Susan Collins and (I think) Mittens will vote for her.  Neal Katyal was on Ari Melber tonight and said he was already referring to her as "Justice Brown" -- it's a done deal. 

Graham, Ted and Marsha Blackburn had their panties in a twist today because KBJ will be the most extremist judge ever to sit on SCOTUS.  Yes, they did use the term "extremist judge" and "left" was thrown in as well, because what could be worse than that?  Lindsey was in high dudgeon but not as high as he was during the actual hearings when he had a snit and stormed out. 

I am going to be charitable in saying rabid über twunt Marsha Blackburn is dumber than a box of rocks and meaner than a junk-yard dog -- truly despicable.

Looking forward to the moment when it's all official and KBJ is officially a member of SCOTUS. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

GOP Sen. Rand Paul is the only senator who hasn't voted

From CNN's Ali Zaslav and Ted Barrett 

Sen. Rand Paul, a Republican from Kentucky, is the only senator who has not voted — the chamber is waiting for him to arrive before gaveling. 

Republican Sens. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma voted from the GOP cloakroom because they weren't wearing ties as is required by Senate rules on the floor.

Graham was in a quarter zip and a blazer. He turned his thumb down and receded back into the cloakroom.

Lindsey Graham is a whiny shithead. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

It's official now.

The Senate confirmed Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court on Thursday, shattering a historic barrier by securing her place as the first Black female justice and giving President Joe Biden a bipartisan endorsement for his effort to diversify the high court.

Cheers rang out in the Senate chamber as Jackson, a 51 year-old appeals court judge with nine years experience on the federal bench, was confirmed 53-47, mostly along party lines but with three Republican votes. Presiding and emotionally announcing the vote was Vice President Kamala Harris, also the first Black woman to reach her high office.

“This is a wonderful day, a joyous day, an inspiring day — for the Senate, for the Supreme Court and for the United States of America,” exulted Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer. The Senate’s upper galleries were almost full for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic two years ago, and about a dozen House members, part of the the Congressional Black caucus, stood at the back of the chamber.

I'm all ready for the wailing and gnashing of teeth that will surely follow

popcorn2.jpg.51815e29b3418491aee6699dc38e973b.jpg

And on top of that...

Spoiler

LargePopcorn.png.6dbc2f0594de5b6c7c34146d17ad43cd.png

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 5

1 hour ago, AnywhereButHere said:

Republican Sens. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma voted from the GOP cloakroom because they weren't wearing ties as is required by Senate rules on the floor.

Graham was in a quarter zip and a blazer.

I didn't know what a "quarter zip" is. Before I googled it, I had hopes they were still talking about the top half of his outfit, but had a horrible mental image of him with his fly 3/4 of the way down.

Spoiler

shudder gif

Oh, and congratulations to Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson, and to the rest of us in the US for having her on the SC.

Edited by thoughtful
riffle
  • Upvote 10